May 15, 2024, 05:01:50 PM

Author Topic: Unholy Summoner - New Way to Run the Pentalock  (Read 5356 times)

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
Unholy Summoner - New Way to Run the Pentalock
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
If you haven't listened to the fourth Mage Cast then I highly recommend it, as it outlines the basic concept behind this book as well as Sharkey's Pentagrammatically Correct Warlock.

Either way, I want to preface this post with saying that I appreciate everyone who has helped me with this build. Whether it was in a match or with deep book analysis, your cooperation has helped shine light on a card/build concept many thought wasn't viable. Thank you!  :D

Here's the book, but I recommend you read on after it because there's more to this build than the cards.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Unholy Summoner[/spellbookname]
[mage]Warlock[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a04]2 x  Fireball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]2 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]1 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a05]1 x  Firestorm[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j12]1 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j17]1 x  Pentagram[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC02]1 x  Blood Demon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c03]2 x  Dark Pact Slayer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC08]1 x  Infernian Scourger[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC13]3 x  Wildfire Imp[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]1 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e08]1 x  Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e10]1 x  Decoy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]1 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]1 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e23]1 x  Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]1 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE02]1 x  Rise Again[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]1 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ01]1 x  Adramelech's Torment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]2 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q10]1 x  Fireshaper Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q13]1 x  Ivarium Longbow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q14]1 x  Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q28]1 x  Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i08]1 x  Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]2 x  Ignite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

So here's the basic gist of the build:
The Pentagram is often considered one of, if not the weakest spawnpoints because of its limitations, cost and potential fragile structure. I've heard recommendations that it should be harmonized so when you cast it turn one, you'll get as much value out of it as possible. However, what if you didn't cast it early game?

The answer to using Pentagram might be in its text. In order for it to get extra mana you need to attack a creature with a friendly creature. So instead of throwing the Pentagram down early, instead cast it the turn that you are about to deal damage to a creature.
  • You'll never need to harmonize it or put additional resources into it.
  • You'll be able to cast a creature the following turn, practically guaranteed.
  • Your Pentagram will be safer since it can't be attacked in the earlier turns.
  • Your spawnpoint can be closer to your enemy since you're casting it on the turn you're attacking. This allows you to be naturally more aggressive, a boon to the Warlock.
  • You're being proactive since you're damaging something. This kills two birds with one flameblast, since you're working on long game as well as mid-game aggression.
  • You'll have a few turns to set up without fear of committing to a strategy.
So this Pentalock in particular is designed to be a control build. Since the Pentagram can give you two additional mana from attacking two different creatures you'll get more efficiency out of it if you are attacking their creatures as well as the Mage. So many of the books cards have been chosen around controlling the battlefield and out "creaturing" them.

Opening plays go something like this:
  • 19M: Battleforge, Mana Crystal
  • 16M/1BF: Ring of Curses(BF), Two FD enchantments(preferably Hawkeye and Decoy or Brace Yourself)
  • 21M/1BF: Ivarium Longbow (BF), Pentagram, shoot something (Hopefully reveal Hawkeye)
On turn two if you can avoid casting the second enchantment or cast a decoy with the intent to reveal it the next turn to get your mana back, then you'll have the resources to reveal the Hawkeye. It's important to pass turn if you're outnumbered until your opponent is down to one action so your Spawnpoint won't take any early damage.

I use the Ivarium bow here to ensure that I'll get an attack on something. If, however, my opponent is being aggressive and is already close to me, then it's best just to cast the lash and attack in melee. Even if you use the bow and the opponent gets close to you, you're still a Warlock so you're formidable in fisticuffs.

The only true saturation in this book is the creature pool. Even the curses are scarce and each have a specific purpose. When playing something like this I highly recommend you be as flexible as possible rather than focusing on one train of thought. If you have the choice of saving your life now or casting the Pentagram, choose yourself. Warlocks have amazing recovery options and once you stabilize against the aggression you can cast the Spawnpoint then. Don't rush the strategy, be patient and careful, then lash out with all of Hell's vengeance once you have the upperhand.

Last two things I want to mention are probably the main reasons this book has worked out. I've had 9 games with it and have adjusted the cards based on the threats I've faced. I've also been keeping track of things, I have a pretty full performance log written for it. Taking notes and being organized with the book's progress may have been the most useful skill and piece of information I've gained out of the whole process. I'm so happy with it, I'm going to post a whole new thread just talking about what I did differently with that Performance Log.

I'm interested to hear your feedback, and I hope you try out the Pentagram again if you've passed it by.

**Edit: I made the thread for the Performance Log Here
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:51:50 PM by Intangible0 »
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Unholy Summoner - New Way to Run the Pentalock
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
(didn't listen to the podcast yet)

I used pentagram a lot when I first started playing mage wars when I only used the core set. I also didn't cast it in the beginning of the game.

My opening:
19 curse ring+ run 2 17
26 Adramelech + fd enchantment 0

After this I put some leathers on and start melee attacking with Adramelech and the warlock, saving a bit of mana every turn untill I could pay for the pentagram. pentagram would be there by turn 4-5.

It did work back than but I didn't use this for a very long time. couple of weeks ago I was working on a book trying to use the gate to hell. Still didn't figure it out though. Even though gth + penta seems a perfect combo they are just too expensive together. Right now I'm thinking about only using the gate and casting the creatures myself from a distant in the opponents area and cursing/fire.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:59:44 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »
That's a new approach and I would like to see it in action.
But from the Theory, you could have problems with two Mages in general:

-Necromancer with Zombies, that just eat alive whatever you spawn from the Pentagram. Also some of your Enchantments won't work.

-Forcemaster, that evades your attacks with Defense or Forcefield and camps or destroys your Pentagram.

What are your plans here?

And another point:

-A Mage with a bow can be blocked with Walls. What spells have you prepared in case of suddenly losing LoS and not being able to attack with the bow?

Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »
(didn't listen to the podcast yet)

I used pentagram a lot when I first started playing mage wars when I only used the core set. I also didn't cast it in the beginning of the game.

My opening:
19 curse ring+ run 2 17
26 Adramelech + fd enchantment 0

After this I put some leathers on and start melee attacking with Adramelech and the warlock, saving a bit of mana every turn untill I could pay for the pentagram. pentagram would be there by turn 4-5.

It did work back than but I didn't use this for a very long time. couple of weeks ago I was working on a book trying to use the gate to hell. Still didn't figure it out though. Even though gth + penta seems a perfect combo they are just too expensive together. Right now I'm thinking about only using the gate and casting the creatures myself from a distant in the opponents area and cursing/fire.
I'm stoked that you also used a similar tactic. Adramalech must be fun for applying that early game pressure. Gate to Hell is also on my list of cards I want to get to work, but it's a tad tricky. Good luck, let me know!  :)

That's a new approach and I would like to see it in action.
But from the Theory, you could have problems with two Mages in general:

-Necromancer with Zombies, that just eat alive whatever you spawn from the Pentagram. Also some of your Enchantments won't work.

-Forcemaster, that evades your attacks with Defense or Forcefield and camps or destroys your Pentagram.

What are your plans here?

And another point:

-A Mage with a bow can be blocked with Walls. What spells have you prepared in case of suddenly losing LoS and not being able to attack with the bow?
Sharp as always Schwenk. Out of the 9 matches so far the two losses I've had were against Necromancers. I blame myself as a book builder for not preparing for those creatures, I blame myself more for not learning after the first defeat, and I blame my opponents for outplaying me  :D

I haven't had the luxery of fighting against a FM yet but those evades have had me concerned. Also Galvatar can rip the Pent to shreds. The rule I have for that is wait on the Pentagram until you're certain it won't be destroyed in one turn, then just get as much value out of it as you can. That's pretty much the best way to look at a Conjuration getting assaulted. As far as Defenses go... I'm not really sure, I'd have to play it out. Maybe overwhelm them to take down the FF and use Surging Wave with EleWand to knock them down. I realize that will only work a few times, it's going to be tricky no matter what  :-\

I actually faced off against a build that used a few walls. I played patiently, moved carefully with Eagleclaw boots, and threw imps at them whenever I had an opening. In that scenario if you panic and spend resources destroying walls then you're going to fall rapidly behind. Regardless of coming out on top in that match, it was a frustrating victory. I love walls.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster