Mage Wars > General Discussion

Mage Wars on OCTGN

(1/17) > >>

Schwenkgott:
Are you are a big fan of Mage Wars, but you have problems finding players to play when you have the itch to enter the arena? You just want to try out that new spellbook? Want to practice an opening and see how much it will cost but don’t want to break everything out just for 5-10 minutes of your time? If so, then the Mage Wars module for OCTGN is the solution :)

Features:

-   Find and challenge new Mages from all over the world.
-   Get in contact with the kind and helpful community.
-   Meet again the people from the last tournament to grant them revenge.
-   View a game as a Spectator, watch your potential opponents’ games to know more about their play style and any special tricks they may spring on you.
-   Many ease of play features: Channeling, Flipping Markers, and Burn/Rot/Bleed Damage are all automated.
-   All Cards from Mage Wars Core Set, the four expansions, plus all of the released Promo Cards are available to build your Spellbooks with!
-   Customize and save your Spellbooks with the OCTGN Spellbook builder.
-   Import other player’s spellbooks from the Mage Wars Forum to the Spellbook builder for further editing and review purposes or export them to the same format used by the online Mage Wars Spellbook builder.
-   A large variety of game boards for different game styles and flavor. Everything from the 2x3 zone apprentice game board to 4x6 double sized multiplayer board!
-   Have a question or problem while playing? Game rules, the FAQ, and Condition Markers are available in game as pdf files, easy to access within the games module.
-   12 pre-constructed OCTGN exclusive Apprentice Spellbooks with 60 spellpoints for each mage to learn or teach the basics of the game along with the original Mage Wars Apprentice Spellbooks.
-   Tired of the randomness of winning or losing based on the luck of the draw? Still want the ability to build your custom decks? Mage Wars is just what you are looking for, and we don’t build custom “decks”, we build custom “Spellbooks!”

How do I get all of this up and running?

1)   Download and install the latest version of OCTGN http://www.octgn.net/Home/GetOctgn.
2)   Create your Account
3)   Install the Mage Wars Module for OCTGN
- In OCTGN, click on the GAMES MANAGER tab
- Click ADD GAME FEED button
- In the NAME text box, enter a name to describe the feed (such as “New Games”)
- In the FEED URL/PATH text box, copy and paste this link: https://www.myget.org/f/octgngamedirectory
- Click the newly-added feed in the list to the left
- Scroll through the list of games and install the Mage Wars Module
4)    Install the latest Image-Pack for all the cards
- download the Image Pack https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hacumnmrvtmpn9o/TZW6O2IPPD
- In OCTGN, in the GAMES MANAGER tab click on the click ADD IMAGE PACK button and point to the location when you downloaded the Image Pack
5)    Install the Deckbuilder Plugin
- Look for the file named OCTGN-SBB-for-MageWars.msi, you’ll find it deep inside your OCTGN Folder at
c:\user\<username>\my documents\OCTGN\GameDatabase\<GameID>\Plugins folder
- Make sure that OCTGN is closed down and run the installer by double clicking on it.  When you restart OCTGN you will now be able to check how many of your spellpoints you have spent and validate that you have the valid types and number of cards in your spellbook.
6)    Once you are ready to adventure in to the arena, just click on PLAY OR SPECTATE in OCTGN
7)    When you are in a game, remember to check out the Game Documents in the menu above to get some fast answers to any questions concerning Mage Wars or OCTGN
8 )   For full details and more the home page for the Mage Wars on OCTGN module can be found herehttp://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/wordpress/magewars/. There are sections such as “How to Play”, “Install Image Packs”, and the always handy: “FAQ”

Looking for Players on OCTGN?  Need to ask a how-to-question?

-   ghorgorbey
-   henry_ketchup
-   jacksmack
-   moonshield
-   murphy
-   rumengsq
-   Schneeente
-   Schwenkgott
-   sIKE23
-   skv01
-   trivium
-   vere
-   wt200

See you in the Arena!

urlGrey:

I love OCTGN.  Thanks!

Maverick:
I will try to talk my buddy into trying this out with me.

gw:
Yea, OCTGN is cool  :)

Ganpot:
Not to dismiss OCTGN or anything, but I really wish Arcane Wonders would create an official online Mage Wars program.  OCTGN doesn't automate very many tasks, which makes it hard for newer players to use it (and allows accidental cheating). 

An official online version of the game would have a lot of benefits:

1. More Potential Fans - not everyone is into physical card and/or board games, and an online trial version (perhaps featuring apprentice mode or the standard 4 assembled base books) would allow a lot of people to try out the game first-hand before buying it. 
2. Better Players - online matchmaking is usually far more convenient than meeting up with friends/rivals.  This should result in more overall matches, and therefore a more experienced playerbase.  Players will also be able to compete against a larger pool of adversaries, which means more exposure to different metas and strategies.  Lastly, if rules are largely automated (as they are in the MtG games), players will be less confused about the various rules (this goes double if there are dedicated tutorials). 
3. More Thorough Playtesting - Mage Wars already does a great job of this, but issues always crop up every now and then.  Online matchmaking would allow for cards to be temporarily altered and playtested en masse at a rapid pace (either before their initial launch, or in preparation for errata). 

If I had to guess, the devs' main holdup is that they don't want an online version of the game to cannibalize the physical one.  There are some easy ways to get around that, however.   My advice would be to simply tie the two versions together: the only way to purchase online expansions is to buy the physical ones and then redeem a code online (do current sets have any unique identification code on them?). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version