May 03, 2024, 02:34:06 AM

Author Topic: Card of the week! I'm bringing it back!  (Read 5486 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Card of the week! I'm bringing it back!
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
So lords and ladies of mage wars, a bunch of you probably remember when The Dude started a thread about often used cards and such. He started with tanglevine, and it was very insightful. Ive been missing that kind of expoundance (its totally a word, don't look it up though) upon the strategic stuff that we all use in almost every book!

So im bringing it back and changing the format a little bit, and im going to say a bunch of stuff about a card and a few of its uses and you guys can feel free to call me out and tell me how wrong or right i am, then you can express an opinion or a fact about said card. So pretty much the normal deal here.

This week's card is one that i used to decry as completely useless in times gone by. But recent changes in the meta have almost given this card a permanent place in most books again. Its Seeking Dispel!
As previously stated i used to be against this very simple card. I found it kind of unimportant as most of the time it was simply a 2 mana wash on either side, and in previous versions of the meta, enchantment stacking made it difficult to remove the single enchantment you might be fearing when it's buried in a stack of 3 or more face downs. And with the advent of enchanters wardstone seekers became even more inefficient, costing twice and sometimes three times the cost of the face down to remove it.

However now i can't even think about putting a book together without having at least one probably two on hand and that gets expensive fast! What changed? Why am i suddenly sacrificing 4sp in my very tight holy books? Well the answer is a bit more complicated than most, but it pretty much boils down to one new card from academy. Arcane ward.  Without a seeker, one arcane ward at one SP for anyone and 2 mana, can cost me TWO dispels (very valuable spells!) To be rid of something potentially game ending. Mid game its rare to be ready with 11 plus mana for a huge dispel without preparing for it first and an arcane ward makes that process even more difficult!

Besides that, there are a few uses for Seeking Dispel that Make them pretty desirable. The basics are nothing to be sneezed at. Destroying a force field for 2 before it becomes 12 mana to be rid of is a game changer! Ditto for a mind control, or a force crush, or an agony or ghoul rot.

Also the fact that the target of a seeking dispel cannot be flipped in response, making it one of the only ways to (somewhat unreliably) counter enchantment transfusion.

Did i miss anything important? Anyone else agree or not? Have you found any really awesome uses for this old work horse card? Ive changed my tune about it recently, how bout you?

(P.S. The dude hasn't been seen for awhile and we all hope he's ok! I certainly hope he doesn't mind im using his idea. Its all for the community anyway. Hope you are well Dude! )
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: Card of the week! I'm bringing it back!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
I use seeking dispel, but...
1) I like a decoy too: it can counter a nulify and be usefull otherwise
2) in my meta we normally reveale quickly the enchanments that stay in play (to avoid seeking dispel!)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:44:02 AM by Exid »

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »
Have to agree with exid here. Decoy is cheaper and more flexible to probe for nullify and arcane ward. Also it can be used to fake an arcane ward. If that gets seeking dispeled you win at mana and sometimes sbp.

But i like seeking dispel for traps and astral anchor! Those nasty cards are placed pretty predictable and seeking dispel is the best way to deal with it

And for sure a popped forcefield is gamechanging.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »
Just for clarity, i use SD in combo with decoy and arcane ward myself. This post was (more or less) specifically about seeking dispel. But that having been said you are both correct and thank you for your input!
I love this game. Its awesome!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
It's a useful spell, especially as was mentioned against zone enchantment.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Squirrelmaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:38:13 AM »
I always run two in pretty much every book, they are so handy to just pop a sneaky face down enchantment that's been hanging around for a while and your opponent has forgotten to revel. My mate never used them and after I started too he includes them as well.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:21:56 PM »
Happy card of the week is back so many cards to dive into for a fresh take or interesting ways to use these cards. 

Seeking Dispel is very effective and nice to use.  As I am gaining more experience playing this game, I have seen better uses for it but also seen how other cards can be used to counter these things. 

It is very situational to when it should be played. 

I carry at least one in every book. 

It may see a rise in use because of upcoming expansions.  Also because of certain books built around enchantment transfusion. 

Clutch spell.  Not sure if every book needs it, but again I really think its value is going to increase once some more powerful enchantments are introduced. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:31:07 PM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:01 AM »
There have been a number of other enchantments released (most of them recently) that have made this more useful. Glancing Blow, for instance is useful to counter if you can kill a creature with a normal attack, but not with the enchantment on it, just for one example.

I used to put one in most of my books until recently... now I consider whether two are enough. I even have a Mage Wand in one book for which Seeking Dispel is one of the prime uses.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Chicken the God

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »
Seeking dispel...hmmm, im with alot of people here: i used to put 1 in almost all my books, now they usually get cut out of most of my non-wizard decks during the last few 'cuts' to bring my spellbook to 120. I keep on trying to fit in 1, but it just never seems to make it.

But i do really like the idea of using it on predicable zone enchantments like traps. Maybe if more traps as deadly as hydrothermal vent come out, it will start making the cut.

Good read. Love for there to be a card of the week section here on AW Forums.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:45:41 PM »
maybe we need a less ambitious name for it?
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
maybe we need a less ambitious name for it?

Lol I do love the discussion!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
I used to put one in most of my books until recently... now I consider whether two are enough. I even have a Mage Wand in one book for which Seeking Dispel is one of the prime uses.

Personally I run at least a single seeking dispel, and always atleast 2 in every wizard, as I do not fear the enchant transfusion; it is 2 mana to potentially force them to pay to move an important enchantment or matrix. I find the situation where the removal of an enchantment matrix is the right choice comes up at least 80% of games.

I am still doing the thought experiment on mage wand used in this way. I would however still include a mage wand in most books as a called to time counterplay toolbox card.