May 14, 2024, 10:02:12 AM

Author Topic: The Sympath!  (Read 4945 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
The Sympath!
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Introducing my ideal mage: the Sympath!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_magic

The Sympath's specialty is sympathetic magic, which is magic based on imitation or correspondence. She is capable of perceiving the many connections between things, and manipulating those connections to her advantage. Her spellbook would include objects that can transform into other objects in the arena that share type and level (like voodoo dolls or other kinds of effigies), position control  (helps her creature/conjuration effigies seek out and destroy threats or attack enemy mages), and of course curses.
However, sympathetic magic comes at a price. The Sympath knows that because her magic connects her to those she kills in the arena, that similarly she too must one day die in the arena.

Training in Mind and Lv1 Dark
120 book points
34 health
0 armor
10 Channeling

Mimic: At the start of the game, she can replace mimic with one named ability on an enemy mage card. She keeps that ability for the rest of the game.

Mirror Link: by paying its total mana cost again, an incantation or enchantment that the Sympath casts on an effigy she controls is copied to an enemy object with the same level and type as that effigy, as long as the new target is less than 2 zones away from it.

Melee -1 trait

Basic melee attack

What do you think?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:32:41 AM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: The Sympath!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:40:24 AM »
Thats very cool!

I have been playing around with "mimic" or copy cards for a while now. They have been one of my favorite types of cards or spells for a long time.

One of my favorite fun MtG decks is a blue deck full of cloning cards.

I might change the Mimic ability to be free, and happen at the start of the first upkeep. Costing 8 mana at the very start of the game, just to gain a ability is too high of a set back IMO.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
From a flavor perspective this could be really neat. I like the "a bit dark, but resigned to the consequences" flavor, and mirror effects could open up new control strategies.

From a rules perspective, though, hither be dragons. Cloning effects can lead to rules disaster.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
I was thinking of a hindrance for all effigies: when the thing they copied is destroyed, so are they. Also, they wouldn't necessarily be able to copy everything perfectly. They would not be able to copy mage class only spells. This is also another reason why it might be important to have position control. Also, the trait "legendary" cannot be copied, although some effigies might have the trait legendary already, so a legendary effigy can copy another legendary spell that shares type and level with it. They would both stay in play because effigies would not copy names. Also, I'm thinking effigies can only copy conjurations, creatures, and revealed enchantments or conjurations attached to a copied creature or conjuration. So they cannot copy attacks, incantations, equipment, zone enchantments, or any enchantment that isn't already revealed. I'm also wondering if legendary effigies should also have the epic trait?

And I think you're right, Darth. I was worried too much about the Sympath's mimic ability being OP that I went overboard on nerfing it in the post. But considering all these other hindrances, I think you're right that it's probably better as mana-free and occurring during the first upkeep.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:27:37 AM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.