May 10, 2024, 10:27:59 AM

Author Topic: Nullify Clarification  (Read 5949 times)

Taruslar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Nullify Clarification
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »
So i read another post and now im  not sure if i played nullify correct. I thought if i have nullify on my mage, i'm protected against all enemy spells until it has to revealed. Now i found a threat where is written, that nullify counter no dispells against my enchantments. Only spells that targets the mage.

So, please give me a complete explanation of nullify/dispell rule. Sry, but i was so sure i played nullify correct.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify Clarification
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
After you cast Nullify on a creature, the next time that creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment controlled by an opponent, you must reveal Nullify. If you pay the reveal cost, that spell is countered. Either way you discard the Nullify. Dispel targets an enchantment, not the creature, so Nullify won't trigger.

That's the interesting tradeoff between enchantments and equipment. You can invest in an enchantment even if you don't have the mana to fully pay for it yet, they're more versatile, and you can bluff with them, but they're also more vulnerable.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
Well done
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Hoongming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
Hi,

Can I extend on the clarification of this enchantment please?

My gaming group is arguing whether Nullify can counter zone spells and zone attacks.

I know to most of you this is such an obvious answer, but please clarify this for us as the arguments are zapping the fun out of the game.

Thanks

Hoongming

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
Hi,

Can I extend on the clarification of this enchantment please?

My gaming group is arguing whether Nullify can counter zone spells and zone attacks.

I know to most of you this is such an obvious answer, but please clarify this for us as the arguments are zapping the fun out of the game.

Thanks

Hoongming

The next time that creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment controlled by an opponent,
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Hoongming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
And spells with the zone keyword clearly do not target the mage or creature and so does not trigger nullify correct? Once again this is probably a really obvious answer to everyone here, but my gaming group really need to hear the definitive answer from the experts here in order to put this argument to rest. Thanks again

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
And spells with the zone keyword clearly do not target the mage or creature and so does not trigger nullify correct? Once again this is probably a really obvious answer to everyone here, but my gaming group really need to hear the definitive answer from the experts here in order to put this argument to rest. Thanks again

If the target is a zone then no it wont trigger Nullify. Even if the effect of the spell affect creatures inside the zone.

Drac

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Also, an enchantment can be moved onto a creature with a face-down nullify via enchantment transfusion.  When enchantment transfusion is revealed, it is no longer a spell.  As such, nullify cannot counter it because the creature is not target by an enchantment spell.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
I thought if i have nullify on my mage, i'm protected against all enemy spells until it has to revealed.

Nope only incants and enchants that target the mage while being cast.

Hoongming

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
Thanks for the clarification

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
Thanks for the clarification

The key to many of these types of 'arguments' is to read carefully the wording for targets and triggers. These can vary by spell type (incantations, creatures, enchantments, etc.) or action type (cast spell, move, etc.) and often include a qualifier (friendly, all, soldiers, etc.) to further specify which spells (i.e. cards) interact with each other.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin