May 13, 2024, 11:01:04 PM

Author Topic: Mortuorum Ambulantum  (Read 11570 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Mortuorum Ambulantum
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:15 PM »
Ok the Necromancer is my secondary mage so I'll add what advice I can. First I prefer skeletons over zombies so bear that in mind. I also Harmonize my book but that's just my preference there. I've yet to have one Dissolved though so there is that(it'll happen eventually.)

-Necromancers as a general rule are not brave so in addition to the Teleport you added I recommend either Cheetah Speed or Mongoose Agility(or both if you feel like it) to help with the inevitable "Running like a coward" maneuver.

-Tanglevines are a great way to make your opponent stand still for a moment while you cast Poison Gas Cloud on their zone and have zombies murder their faces. Yes they'll get out of them but it makes em waste either a Teleport or some attacks.

-If you can find the spell points, I think someone mentioned slimming down on the creatures, a Teleport Trap or two can be a good idea.

-Play that Necromancer book like it was going out of style. He's an amazing mage but like his Druid box mate he takes a lot of practice.

-Steal the other curses from your father. Nothing says "Family" like more Ghoul Rot :)
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sand Goblin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 05:13:35 AM »
Thank you for the reply silverclawgrizzly!

You fiend! ;)  How do skeletons work for you?  Do you include a lot of the weaker minions, or do you stick to the more hardy units?  And how do you keep the damn things alive?

I'll see to it once and if I can free up some points.

The deal with PGC was that I was going to use it it conjunction with the crawlers in my necro's zone, to make up for the relative lack of armor in this build.  If I don't need it for defense, against say, a super heavy turtling priestess, I'll try to place a bone wall behind a creature and a PGC in their zone.  Essentially what you suggested, but without changing the book.  If I find the room for it, I'll put Tanglevine in.  In fact, it only barely got cut form the book.  I've had great success already with that card, and it's  a shame I have to leave it out.  I may replace IoP or Deathlock with some Tanglevine, because 5 zone exclusives aren't exactly easy to all get out at once. 

I may add them, but I don't think I would with Tanglevine.  One or the other.  They both have their uses, and while Teleport Trap is more versatile, Tanglevine does what it does very well, much better than TT.

He's my favorite mage so far, I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. :)

I know, I know.  Poison EVERYTHING!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:24:48 AM by Sand Goblin »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 05:30:11 AM »
The skeletons work very well for me actually. I have currently in my Necromancer book: 2 Skeleton Minions, 3 Skeleton Archers, 2 Skeleton Knights, 2 Deathfangs, Mort, Ravenous Ghoul, Necropian Vampiress. FAR less creatures than say your average zombie book I know. I only use one spawn point though(the book) and no I don't use Alter of Skulls.

How do I keep them alive? A few ways. Obviously Reconstruct helps a lot. Honestly if you don't kill one of my boney friends right away all that damage can be removed for 3 mana assuming I have my ring on, and I always have my ring on. I use walls to funnel enemies where I want them and have archers pepper them. It's super hard to kill Skeleton Knights a lot of the time and they are utterly devastating attackers. Mort helps too, he reconstructs 2 damage a turn on every skeletal item in his zone, you'd be surprised how that adds up. Unholy Resurgence is of course in my book and I use it when needed. NOTHING pisses off an opponent like seeing every bit of damage on every one of my skeletons disappear in one move.

I use skeletons because I feel like I have more options with them than with zombies though I admit I've never played a zombie Necromancer, though I've fought one. There are 4 Necromancer books in my local group, two of which are the primary mages for their players. Of those two it's an even split between zombies and skeletons. The other two are both skeletons.

I'd fight the zombie Necromancer with my skeletons but.....Necromancer VS Necromancer fights are REALLY boring lol.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
I've used both Zombies and Skeletons with pretty good success.

With my Skeleton book, I've got 3 Deathfangs, Mort, 2 Archers, 2 Knights, 2 Minions and 2 Grey Wraith. Like Silver said, less creatures than your average Necro book, but that's b/c I don't swarm with this spellbook. I might take out one Wraith to put in another Archer.

As already mentioned, it's actually extremely easy to heal those skellies. Mort heals everything in his zone and the border of his zone. [mwcard=DNI03]Reassemble[/mwcard] is amazing and super cheap and [mwcard=DNI05]Unholy Resurgence[/mwcard] is really good as well considering it heals all Skeletons 6 dice for just 9 mana (8 with ring).
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Sand Goblin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
So, how do you guys think this spellbook will perform?  I'm playing at least two games with it tomorrow, so I am quickly going to find out whether or not I will continue to use this Spellbook. :)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
You should do ok but I've no idea what you're going against. If you lose then just tinker with it some and get the kinks out.

Sand Goblin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Mostly curse-heavy Warlocks and Wizards, of what type and playstyle is yet to be determined.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
Then make sure you have a fist full of Dispels, Dissolve, and maybe the Dispel Wand....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
Mostly curse-heavy Warlocks and Wizards, of what type and playstyle is yet to be determined.

Wizards a are a tough match for Necromancer. yuck.
"See you space cowboy..."

Sand Goblin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
Aren't wizards a tough match for everybody?  I'll be fine, I'm playing mostly against the Warlock, and the wizard player is new.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
Aren't wizards a tough match for everybody?  I'll be fine, I'm playing mostly against the Warlock, and the wizard player is new.

Wizards are especially tough for Beastmaster swarm and Necromancer swarm to deal with. Mordok's Obelisk and Suppression Cloak are excellent ways of dealing with swarms - and the Wizard has easy access to both of these spells. Wizard also has some non-living creatures and/or incorporeal creatures that can be tough for Beastmaster and Necromancer to deal with. As long as you have ways to deal with incorporeal and nonliving threats you should be fine (I prefer Invisible Fist for Incorporeal threats), and if you are swarming and your opponent drops Mordok or Suppression Cloak I would say try to deal with those spells ASAP. Some people like to carry 1 or 2 Force Hammer just to deal with powerful conjurations like Mordko's Obelisk.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:17:55 PM by MrSaucy »
"See you space cowboy..."

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »
Wizards are a hugely debated topic is what Wizards are :P Yeah Modoks Obelisk is nasty for a swarm if timed right, but it's also not that hard to bring it down. Of course multiple copies in a book are annoying even more so. But like Mr Saucy said I carry a Force Hammer on an Elemental Wand when I see a Wizard as it's also useful for that pesky spawn point they get. I've never ought a wizard that used the obelisk with my necromancer now that I think on it.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 12:44:21 AM »
Mordok's Obelisk is Epic. You can't have multiple copies in your book.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
Most of the plays I have seen and experienced with [mwcard=MW1J16]Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard] by a Wizard have ended badly for me. Typically they include a [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard] to protect "MO". Most of the time it is played in combination with [mwcard=MW1J21]Suppression Orb[/mwcard]. Timing both for maximum effect, by dropping "MO" at the end of the Final Quick Cast Phase and "SO" during the First QuickCast phase after a the Necromancers or BM's swarm is out. The will leave the opponent so mana starved that [mwcard=FWA02]Force Hammer[/mwcard] costs more than is in the bank (pay 4-6 mana during Upkeep for your critters) and if you were able move a creature into the zone with "MO" you still have to deal with the Gargoyle.

Best bet then is to let the swarm die and switch to a 1/2 big strategy, even then it is still a very tough slog, as the Wizard is not sitting still while your world is falling apart.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sand Goblin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
OK, just finished a game, with my opponent as a Warlock.  I lost, but only by luck - my Zombie Hulk whiffed, only landing 3 hits with 6 dice on a 2 armor warlock, and then my venomous zombie failed to land two hits, including taint.  I had a lot of fun, I played just like I intended, and the book performed really well.  I have a concern, though.  Zombie Frenzy seems to be bit overpowered.

Essentially, the first time I played it, I reduced his Mage from full life to almost half life with my zombies.  A few turns later, he has escaped, with only about 25% of his life left.  Now, he has to hide in the corner.  So I summon a Mage Wand, and bind the second frenzy to it.  Now I can do it every turn, and he can't do a damn thing.  And why can't he do a damn thing?  Because of the first frenzy!  Now, granted, I had to wait until the endgame to do it, and he had no idea of that card before the first one was played.  But it still seems somewhat OP, as it essentially takes away the only bad thing about zombies - their slowness.  It seems that only two things can beat the necromancer, rushes and flyers.  I lost because of LoF.  If I add another maim wings, that's no longer a problem.  Now, only rushing can beat him.  Is there any other way? 

EDIT:  I actually won.  We just realized I had a block on my mage, which was played nearly an hour earlier anticipating an attack that would never come.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:50:36 PM by Sand Goblin »