May 06, 2024, 07:27:49 PM

Author Topic: Paladin vs. Siren Terrain Question  (Read 3395 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Paladin vs. Siren Terrain Question
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
Playing my first Paladin vs. Siren match tomorrow- also playing with a first time player, so I want to be sure I understand everything to the best of my ability.

I know Terrain doesn't have life or armor and isn't damaged or destroyed by attack damage. But the directions say it can still be removed by other means. What's an example of how a mage might remove his opponent's terrain just so I clearly understand. Thanks!

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin vs. Siren Terrain Question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »
Hi Ravepig,

Terrain can only be removed (aside from Elephant Grass) by overlaying it with your own terrain. In order to do so you must pay the cost (in mana) of the terrain you are removing in addition to paying the cost to cast your own terrain spell.

For example a Paladin could replace a Shallow Sea with a Consecrated Ground by paying 10 (5+5) mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
Hi Ravepig,

Terrain can only be removed (aside from Elephant Grass) by overlaying it with your own terrain. In order to do so you must pay the cost (in mana) of the terrain you are removing in addition to paying the cost to cast your own terrain spell.

For example a Paladin could replace a Shallow Sea with a Consecrated Ground by paying 10 (5+5) mana.

But if the same mage paid that mana for two terrain cards, then the effects stack, correct?

But if it's enemy mage paying the cost of both terrain cards, overlapping his with the original played by the enemy mage, the original is essentially replaced making it null & void? Is that correct?

No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »
Each zone can only have one terrain attached to it. If you play a new one on the same zone you have to pay to remove the old one.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 12:39:03 PM »
You can't have more than one terrain in a zone. If you want to cast a new terrain on the zone, you must pay extra to discard the one already there like Puddnhead said. The old terrain is then discarded and removed from play. Things don't overlap.

Now, if you're playing with the modular board, then the terrain on there can't be discarded because it's part of the board, so instead it does get suppressed. But terrain spell cards still will be discarded when a new one gets cast.

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 12:50:31 PM »
Ooooooohhhh ok. So it's the mana cost of playing new terrain that stacks. But only the most recent terrain is actually in effect. Ok, I'm tracking now. So, if there are two terrain cards in one zone, only the top card is in effect. And if I wanted to replace that terrain with a new terrain, I would have to pay the cost of the first two terrain cards, PLUS the mana cost of my new terrain card. If choose to do this, then the terrain card I just played is the one in effect.

Thanks for the clarification!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
When you overlay terrain, the terrain you're replacing is destroyed (except the effects from the tiles in domination which get turned off.)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »
When you overlay terrain, the terrain you're replacing is destroyed (except the effects from the tiles in domination which get turned off.)

Yeah, I see that now. Sorry, I don't have the cards in front of me for reference, so in looking at the codex, I was going by the example of the shallow sea terrain with the whirlpool and elephant grass- and in reading quickly, I saw that as those three stacking, but in reviewing the text more closely, whirlpool and elephant grass are actually attached to shallow sea, thus the reason for the stacking mana cost. Gotcha. Thanks again!

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Of course, since Shallow Sea is a Cantrip, the Siren can just cast it again to replace the Consecrated Ground.