May 19, 2024, 05:04:22 AM

Author Topic: Stunned Mage actions  (Read 2818 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Stunned Mage actions
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
Yesterday I had a game vs. Zot that showed we didn't play magestun in the same way.

So what kind of actions can a stunned mage take with his full action marker?

Id did not have any impact on the game (I would loss regardless), but there's bound to be a couple of Air Wizards at Gen-Con so I would love to know.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Stunned Mage actions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »
Only non-attack quick spells.

It is written in the rules under incapacitated. What was the issue in your game ?

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »

"Only non-attack quick spells". That's correct.

It also say he cannot move or melee, but it doesn't say that he can't take any other physical action.

The issue is if the mage can take action such as guarding or zip from a renewing spring.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
The mage gains the incapacitated trait while stunned. All the other affects from incapacitated apply but the only differencee for mages is that they can still cast quick, non attack spells with it. So no moving, no attacks that's aren't independent of the mage (like dancing scimitar), and no full casting  (creatures or destroy magic, crumble  or disperse and the like). So your friend is correct. You cannot take any actions at all while stunned as a creature, but a mage can really concentrate hard and get a quick spell out, as long as it's not an attack.
I love this game. Its awesome!

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »
we already know the mage can cast quick non attack spells. the question is can the mage take quck non attack actions, such as guard or drink from the spring, or some other non attack non move quick action using the full action marker.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
When i read the name of the post, i get an ill feeling, that i will realize i am doing something all those years wrong :) So i rather ask stupidly, just to be sure :)

I activate my mage. I can only cast non-attack quick spell. What about his Black Quick Cast marker?
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 02:15:44 PM »
If you use the quick cast marker before activating your mage it will also be limited to non attack spells. However, if you have first removed the incapacitation by activating your mage, the quick cast marker will be back to normal afterwards.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 02:19:52 PM »
And you can perform no other actions at all besides casting a quick, non attack spell. That's the way incapacitated works. So no you can't sip from a healing spring, nor can you guard. Ir falls under the same ruling about removing guard markers with slam via surging wave. An incapacitated creature cannot take actions at all save to remove the stun. An incapacitated mage has one option left while incapacitated, and that is to cast a quick spell that's not an attack. He can take no other actions save to do nothing and remove the stun. That's it.

The codex says: An Incapacitated creature still takes an Action Phase durung the round, but it cannot perform ANY actions during its Action Phase (usually the action marker is simply flipped over)... it goes on about how mages are slightly different in that they can still work magic. But it's quite clear on what you can and cannot do while incapacitated and several times it mentions that no actions are possible at all.

Edited for an actual reference
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:28:16 PM by RomeoXero »
I love this game. Its awesome!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »
If you use the quick cast marker before activating your mage it will also be limited to non attack spells. However, if you have first removed the incapacitation by activating your mage, the quick cast marker will be back to normal afterwards.

Phew :) everything in green :) Thanks Proffesor Zuberi :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )