May 06, 2024, 03:51:38 PM

Author Topic: Healing and Finite Life  (Read 5611 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Healing and Finite Life
« on: July 04, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »
So, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but want to just be sure- suppose I play a Finite Life face down on enemy mage. Enemy mage at some point casts a heal spell... can I then reveal Finite Life during the counterspell step to prevent the heal spell? Assume enemy mage would still have to pay mana cost, etc.

Know it's a rookie question so I appreciate the feedback.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Healing and Finite Life
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:44:46 PM »
You are correct on all counts
I love this game. Its awesome!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »
Technically you can't reveal an enchantment during a step unless the text specifically allows it. HOWEVER, you can reveal inbetween any steps, so yes you can reveal a Poisoned Blood to stop the healing from a spell just cast.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:45:42 PM »
Interestingly enough, assuming I've studied this correctly, you cannot reveal poisoned blood to counter the reveal of healing charm because there isn't an event before the resolution of the text.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:19:59 PM »
Interestingly enough, assuming I've studied this correctly, you cannot reveal poisoned blood to counter the reveal of healing charm because there isn't an event before the resolution of the text.

That is correct. Revealing an enchantment, in and of itself, is not something you can reveal an enchantment because of.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:30 PM »
Is there a step between me saying I'm going to reveal an enchantment and my opponent being able to reveal one first?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »
Is there a step between me saying I'm going to reveal an enchantment and my opponent being able to reveal one first?

No, there are no steps for revealing an enchantment. Though in cases where both players want to reveal an enchantment at the same time, the player with the initiative gets to reveal his enchantments first.

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 12:07:17 AM »
Always wanted to get this cleared officially: Healing from the renewing spring can also not be prevented by poisoned blood since there are no steps between declaring a quick action and executing the quick action, right?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »
It depends on what you're doing with your quick action, but just talking about generic quick actions there aren't any steps between initiating the action and resolving it. So, you are correct that the heal from Renewing Spring can not be interrupted by an enchantment. If the action involved making an attack, casting a spell, or moving though then there would be steps involved and enchantments could interrupt it.

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 01:05:52 AM »
Thanks Zuberi. That is exactly how I understood it. :)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 05:17:16 AM »
It depends on what you're doing with your quick action, but just talking about generic quick actions there aren't any steps between initiating the action and resolving it. So, you are correct that the heal from Renewing Spring can not be interrupted by an enchantment. If the action involved making an attack, casting a spell, or moving though then there would be steps involved and enchantments could interrupt it.

At one point the Activate Creature step did allow an enchantment reveal at the end. So a creature that activated in a zone with Renewing Spring could have an enchantment revealed prior to its quick action.

Did this step get removed as a possible enchantment reveal? Am I remembering this wrong?
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 05:30:02 AM »
At one point the Activate Creature step did allow an enchantment reveal at the end. So a creature that activated in a zone with Renewing Spring could have an enchantment revealed prior to its quick action.

Did this step get removed as a possible enchantment reveal? Am I remembering this wrong?

it's not a step, but you can reveal after the activation.

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »

it's not a step, but you can reveal after the activation.
Yes but you need to reveal before the action was declared, though you are obliged to give your opponent time to reveal before declaring the action.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
Others have already answered, but yes you can still reveal after activating the creature. You have to activate before you declare the creature's action, and there is time to reveal in between those two events. My previous comment was just in regards to interrupting an action after it has been declared. This is not possible unless the action involves an attack, a spell cast, or a move. Or something else that includes steps.