May 14, 2024, 11:51:00 PM

Author Topic: Druid support/ help  (Read 4554 times)

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Druid support/ help
« on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »
Ok, so my druid play is terrible and im looking for some help and support to increase at least my knowledge to better both my play and spell book building.  This is the current version of a book I have been working on; spiders are not the most practical creatures in the game but I believe they can get some work done and would be fun to play with overall. So apart from that, are there any experienced druid players that have tips and tricks for her, in general?

This is what I have, as of now:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Stuck in the Middle with You[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Druid Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J13]2 x Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1W04]3 x Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ11]6 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW01]2 x Bloodspine Wall[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC10]2 x Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC21]2 x Thornlasher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC05]1 x Colossal Crab[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC09]2 x Giant Wolf Spider[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC20]2 x Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]2 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]3 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E16]1 x Wolf Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE07]1 x Hydrothermal Vent[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]2 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]2 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]2 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01Q01]1 x Chitin Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q09]1 x Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]2 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]3 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI02]3 x Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]3 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I23]2 x Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLI02]1 x Extinguish[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

T1: double mana flower
T2: Spider and ring
T3: Tree (tree bond) or crab and akiro's favor fd on spider
T4: Spider if going with tree on round 3

from there, tanglevine and attack, get the crab out, chant of rage on a vine snapper on the other side of the map, teleport wand, or whatever is needed. the idea is to keep the spiders alive as much as possible to let them do their thing with tanglevines providing the restrained ability for more tainted chances. I tried this with a tree of life but the extra action that the vine tree gives helps so much i decided to stick with it.
snappers are there to pull through walls and bring enemies closer to the spiders.  some considerations are taking out the rouse the beasts for a clear mind?

Thanks for the help and happy holidays! :D
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Druid support/ help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 04:44:31 PM »
You can get some real work done with the corrosive orchids just off the top of my head. I think you slim down a chant of rage for some points.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 01:50:31 AM »
Spellbook looks pretty good actually.

I like the Giant Wolf Spider :) Not that great vs Necro and Priestess.
I think i would wait a bit casting those those, until you have some Vine Snappers and or Thornlashers out.

Keep the 2 Rouse the Beast

Add ~ 2 Lesser Teleports. With Mage Wands you are able to move your Vine Snappers/Thornlashers pretty cheap.

Id put in at least 1 extra Vine Snapper and Thornlasher.

Akiros Favor Maybe keep one, most likely to put on you Druid. You might wanna look for battle early with the Druid. Use the Regen 4. (in the match vs Shark you went back to the tree zone early and guarded - id rather see you run 2 vs him) 1 Enchantment Transfusion might be good.
Trouble with putting Akiros on the Thornlashers/Wolf Spider is your making killing them better for you opponent.

I would cut 1 or so of Raptor Vine, Wolf Spider, Colossal Crab to get room for the rest.

3 Wall of Thorns and 3 Force Push. I don´t like them as much because blocking line of sight from the Vine Tree is pretty bad. Id remove at least 1 WoT and 1 Force Push. If you wanna keep them id go for 6 dissolves and 2 Corrosive Orchid.

Grizzly already gave the thumps up for Corrosive Orchid, which are great with all mages but with ini you can actually deploy one and use it before they get to move out of the zone. QC might be an issue, but still.

Chant Of Rage is pretty good, you might even put in Pillar of Righteous Flame as well :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
Interesting.
So youre saying plants then work up to spiders and not spiders and plants as plan B. It makes sense, just never tried it that way lol.

I originally had 2 lesser teleports but cut them and something else for another mage wand.

The turn in the game where i guarded the tree - i planned either 1 or both of my cards for that deployment off the tree. Since i forgot to deploy my hand for that round was useless.

I will look into the orchid.
And that pillar is an amazing card. I really like it. Not sure if i have sbp for it but it would be a fun play.

*Edit*

This is what I have put together so far but it needs some testing.
I thought I would try the sanguine thirst on a vine snapper and see how it worked out.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]OCTGN Deck[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Druid Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J13]2 x Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ11]6 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1W04]2 x Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW01]2 x Bloodspine Wall[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ02]1 x Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC21]3 x Thornlasher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]1 x Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC05]1 x Colossal Crab[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC09]1 x Giant Wolf Spider[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC20]3 x Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]1 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLE06]1 x Sanguine Thirst[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRE04]1 x Gator Toughness[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]2 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]2 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E16]1 x Wolf Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]2 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE07]1 x Hydrothermal Vent[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]1 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E09]2 x Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E31]2 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01Q01]1 x Chitin Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q09]1 x Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q19]2 x Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=LG01I01]1 x Clear Mind[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]2 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]2 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]3 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI02]3 x Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]3 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I23]2 x Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAWLI02]1 x Extinguish[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:55:55 AM by drmambo23 »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
Have you looked at the combination of Elephant Grass and Shoals deep Crocodile? I like this for the Druid as it allows her plants to feast on a grappled opponent.  The prey has 4 less attack dice against the Crocodile! Thornlashers are great to hide in the grass and bring victims to the Crocodile. I also notice that the Druid is the only mage to pay basic spell points for the Swamp spell. More control options is fun for the Druid.

I would also look at Vine whip Staff for the stuck ability and reach and consider at least one zone attack spell. Tsunami is one I am adding since the plants are immune and don't get pushed.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
So youre saying plants then work up to spiders and not spiders and plants as plan B. It makes sense, just never tried it that way lol.

This is pretty fundamental identity - you're playing a Druid, not a Beastmaster...

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
ב"ה
If I take a general level 1 song, it would probably be lullaby. Chant of rage is very conditional, while lullaby is more generic. if you build a kill area with thornlashers, usually you would like the enemy mage in that area but rather keep other creatures away. Chant of rage could be better against archers, but since siren is out it is common for books that include archers to include also an extra tanglevine for them (mainly against siren's call, but it helps against chant of rage as well), unless of course the archers are skeletal archers.

There is one thing I didn't understand about this book. Some of your creatures are about pushing and puling things (3 thornlashers) and some of them are about keeping the opponent restrained (giant wolf spiders and colossal crab). Is your strategy snatching things through walls of thorns of restraining them in one zone?
[a restrained creature cannot be pushed, so it is either restraining or snatching]

Personally, I would have either go for themes that could combo.
It could be replacing thornlashers for raptor vines and go for a restraining book, and take that vinewhip staff that can either put a vine for a quickspell of 1 mana or give a creature a stuck condition in a quick spell of 4 mana and 1 vine.
It could otherwise be replacing the colossal crab and giant wolf spider for 2 steelclaw grizzlies and one eagle wings (for cases when you want to move over walls without trouble).
That way you could make a similar opening of-
1) double mana flower
2) grizly + ring
3) tree + face down enchantment
and bring the second bear arond round 5 or 6, then support them with plants.
Or play a more casual druid and open with tree and bring plants, and later on bring the grizzlies .
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:43:52 AM by Super Sorcerer »

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
Have you looked at the combination of Elephant Grass and Shoals deep Crocodile? I like this for the Druid as it allows her plants to feast on a grappled opponent.  The prey has 4 less attack dice against the Crocodile! Thornlashers are great to hide in the grass and bring victims to the Crocodile. I also notice that the Druid is the only mage to pay basic spell points for the Swamp spell. More control options is fun for the Druid.

I would also look at Vine whip Staff for the stuck ability and reach and consider at least one zone attack spell. Tsunami is one I am adding since the plants are immune and don't get pushed.

Havent tried the croc yet or the grass with druid. I had swamp in but never used it so it got cut. I have tried the staff and 7 mana for the item and then 4 to stuck is a big investment when i can deploy a tanglevine for 4  at ye most off a tree.

This is pretty fundamental identity - you're playing a Druid, not a Beastmaster...

Im fully aware.  My thought process was to start with spiders and plants as backup/support if needed.  My 5 plays with a druid since dvn have made me very ignorant on druid matter :b

ב"ה
If I take a general level 1 song, it would probably be lullaby. Chant of rage is very conditional, while lullaby is more generic. if you build a kill area with thornlashers, usually you would like the enemy mage in that area but rather keep other creatures away. Chant of rage could be better against archers, but since siren is out it is common for books that include archers to include also an extra tanglevine for them (mainly against siren's call, but it helps against chant of rage as well), unless of course the archers are skeletal archers.

There is one thing I didn't understand about this book. Some of your creatures are about pushing and puling things (3 thornlashers) and some of them are about keeping the opponent restrained (giant wolf spiders and colossal crab). Is your strategy snatching things through walls of thorns of restraining them in one zone?
[a restrained creature cannot be pushed, so it is either restraining or snatching]

Personally, I would have either go for themes that could combo.
It could be replacing thornlashers for raptor vines and go for a restraining book, and take that vinewhip staff that can either put a vine for a quickspell of 1 mana or give a creature a stuck condition in a quick spell of 4 mana and 1 vine.
It could otherwise be replacing the colossal crab and giant wolf spider for 2 steelclaw grizzlies and one eagle wings (for cases when you want to move over walls without trouble).
That way you could make a similar opening of-
1) double mana flower
2) grizly + ring
3) tree + face down enchantment
and bring the second bear arond round 5 or 6, then support them with plants.
Or play a more casual druid and open with tree and bring plants, and later on bring the grizzlies .

My idea is to snatch with the lashers and bring them closer to the spider(s). Restrain after they are closer or snatched. The idea in theory is to focus down and take out 1 or 2 at a time.  Lashers also help for getting things out of the way

And bears are great, no argument, but i am shooting for spiders and other creatures. I have been destroyed by a nasty bear druid many times lol.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »
ב"ה
Havent tried the croc yet or the grass with druid. I had swamp in but never used it so it got cut. I have tried the staff and 7 mana for the item and then 4 to stuck is a big investment when i can deploy a tanglevine for 4  at ye most off a tree.
But the staff also improve your melee attack, and allow you to bring extra vines when you have an action but not enough mana to do anything else (only one mana to bring an extra vine as a quick spell). Moreover, the staff cost 2 spellbook points, and you would probably use it at least three times unless the opponent spend effort in dissolving it (which probably include a teleport or at least a lesser teleport, since you can keep the opponent 2 zones away with it). Before lesser teleports were in play, I remember games against solo mages decided by me stucking the enemy mage until he used his only teleport and dissolved my vinewhip staff just to find out that I have another one and he is stuck again (even though they destroyed my tree bond from the new zone they were stuck in). And it could keep stucking on and on without limitation, while you have only 6 tanglevines.

My idea is to snatch with the lashers and bring them closer to the spider(s). Restrain after they are closer or snatched. The idea in theory is to focus down and take out 1 or 2 at a time.  Lashers also help for getting things out of the way

And bears are great, no argument, but i am shooting for spiders and other creatures. I have been destroyed by a nasty bear druid many times lol.
Spiders are mobile while lashers are rooted. If you want to keep an opponent in one zone, then tanglevine/stuck and then bring astral anchor. Arcane ward would be a fine addition to the astral anchor. If in most turns your opponent is supposed to be unmovable, then your thornlashers have little use. Raptor vines would help you better than thornlasher, because most turn they don't need to move, and in the few rounds when the opponent manage to move away to get stuck somewhere else, they could be uprooted. If the opponent move away from the threat area of a thornlasher, you must teleport your thornlasher to a closer zone in order for it to keep attacking.
If you want a book to keep the opponent in one zone, you will want an astral anchor and you will not need thornlashers.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
ב"ה
But the staff also improve your melee attack, and allow you to bring extra vines when you have an action but not enough mana to do anything else (only one mana to bring an extra vine as a quick spell). Moreover, the staff cost 2 spellbook points, and you would probably use it at least three times unless the opponent spend effort in dissolving it (which probably include a teleport or at least a lesser teleport, since you can keep the opponent 2 zones away with it). Before lesser teleports were in play, I remember games against solo mages decided by me stucking the enemy mage until he used his only teleport and dissolved my vinewhip staff just to find out that I have another one and he is stuck again (even though they destroyed my tree bond from the new zone they were stuck in). And it could keep stucking on and on without limitation, while you have only 6 tanglevines.

Spiders are mobile while lashers are rooted. If you want to keep an opponent in one zone, then tanglevine/stuck and then bring astral anchor. Arcane ward would be a fine addition to the astral anchor. If in most turns your opponent is supposed to be unmovable, then your thornlashers have little use. Raptor vines would help you better than thornlasher, because most turn they don't need to move, and in the few rounds when the opponent manage to move away to get stuck somewhere else, they could be uprooted. If the opponent move away from the threat area of a thornlasher, you must teleport your thornlasher to a closer zone in order for it to keep attacking.
If you want a book to keep the opponent in one zone, you will want an astral anchor and you will not need thornlashers.

For restrained, all my tanglevines and the spider or spiders if i throw another back in should do.  As far as getting vines, having the tree give me an extra each round should be plenty. I just cant seem to justify having another spell that cost 7 mana for vines and stuck, 4 more mana, when i already have so much that can already do it.  I do see your point but i tried the staff and i dont think its for me.

I added the 3rd lasher bc of biblos input. This updated book hasnt been tested and i could go back to 2. But if i can pull a guard out of the way and avoid a counterstrike, pull someone out of range of their battleforge, pull through a wall, hit a flyer, keep them away from the tree, etc then a lasher is useful. Even if the main strategy is to restrain and taint or grapple. Hell, if i ran out of force push i could theoretically snatch my own creature 1 zone closer so they can move and attack - not ideal but it could be fun and useful lol.

Astral anchor and arcane ward could be useful but i'll have to look more into that for this book.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 04:36:42 PM »
Good luck with the book.

Let us know how the Crab worked out. I looked at adding him to my Druid books, but for 5 spellpoints and only 8 health I went with the Crocodile. For 1 extra spellpoint and 2 more mana you get a much tougher creature that has a better chance to Grapple and is an Animal and triggers with other Nature school spell effects.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 05:12:53 PM »
Thanks. And will do.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 05:53:34 PM »
Let us know how the Crab worked out. I looked at adding him to my Druid books, but for 5 spellpoints and only 8 health I went with the Crocodile. For 1 extra spellpoint and 2 more mana you get a much tougher creature that has a better chance to Grapple and is an Animal and triggers with other Nature school spell effects.

Crab is also an Animal, and thus triggers other nature effects...

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
Mostly im referring to the situation in your game vs Sharkbait.

You played Vine Tree + Mana Flower. He played Mana Flower + Battle Forge (starting zone)

So now you know your not going to be rushed. If he move forward and fight in your NC he will be at a disadvantage. If you fight in the FC your tree will be totally safe, but he would get full support from the Battle Forge.

I think turn 2 would call for mana increasement - mana flower x2 or enchantment ring + enchantment. I don´t think i would even pay for the extra vine. Theres no rush to get to him. If you have a zone with Vine Snapper + Thornlasher, he should already worry a bit about something getting drag into that zone.

Battle Forge in the starting zone makes perfect sense vs Druid or Siren as we has to be afraid of Surging Wavex2. It does make it hard for him to go on offence early.

Just to be clear i think you could do a lot better playing Sharks Paladin again without changing a card.

Lesser Teleport being the one card id really want in there.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 11:29:46 PM »

Crab is also an Animal, and thus triggers other nature effects...

Good to know. Missed that one.