May 15, 2024, 08:02:07 AM

Author Topic: First Paladin Spellbook  (Read 3802 times)

Hardcordo

First Paladin Spellbook
« on: December 02, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »
Here is my first attempt at the paladin I played the starter deck for it last night. I mainly tweaked the starter deck and tried to keep the paladin "flavor".

Here is an opening I envision at this moment.

T1(19 mana): QC- battle forge right center(-8 mana) then summon cassiel(-9 mana), 2 mana remain
T2(2+9 mana, BF: 1 mana, familiar: 1 mana): QC-Nullify(FD -2 mana) summon- Goblin Builder(-5 mana), 4 mana remain
T3(4+9 mana, BF: 2 mana, familiar: 2 mana): Deploy: champions gauntlets(-2 mana from BF), QC- sword of radience, Move right center cast, eye for an eye
T4 and beyond: continue equipping mage, use goblin builder to build temples, get metatron out.

I am concerned it is a little slow. I also want to get the banner out but cant  decide if I should start with it real early or get it out after I get some mana saved and summon 2 creatures fairly quickly, ideally I need it out there for 4 rounds for it to pay for itself though. I could also stand to refine my creature selection as well.

C&C is very welcome.

EDIT: I am terrible at using the OCTGN spellbook builder and some stuff was in the wrong spot and I somehow got some spells in the wrong category. I fixed it and made some tweaks. I do think I might have too many options in it? This is the most spells I have ever got in a spellbook ever. Let me know what you think of it now.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]PaladinV2[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Paladin Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSA01]3 x Luminous Blast[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=LG01J02]2 x Ballista[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ02]4 x Consecrated Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ03]1 x Crusade Banner[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ05]1 x Malakai's Basilica[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ06]1 x Pillar of Righteous Flame[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J09]1 x Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ10]1 x Temple of Meraveran[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSC01]1 x Alandell, the Blue Knight[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC04]1 x Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC06]2 x Crusader Griffin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC04]1 x Goblin Builder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC14]2 x Knight of the Red Helm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC16]2 x Light of Dawn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC18]1 x Metatron, Angelic Templar[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSE02]2 x Blind[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE01]1 x Ballad of Courage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01E01]1 x Circle of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE05]3 x Eye for an Eye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE06]2 x Healing Madrigal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE08]2 x Knight's Courage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE09]1 x Life Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE11]1 x Song of Love[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]2 x Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01E03]2 x Critical Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSQ01]1 x Champion's Gauntlets[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ04]1 x Helm of Justice[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ02]2 x Dawn's Bastion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ12]1 x Steadfast Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ13]2 x Sword of Radiance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ11]1 x Signet of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q27]1 x Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ07]2 x Radiant Breastplate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ06]1 x Paladin's Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ02]1 x Defense Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]3 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI04]2 x Martyr's Restoration[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI05]2 x Mending Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I17]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI06]2 x Overextend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI07]1 x Smite[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:51:15 PM by Rool »

Hardcordo

Re: First Paladin Spellbook
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 12:20:44 PM »
I played another match last night vs the Siren. I think I might have been a little slow to start because by the time we engaged she had a pretty good engine going. I have altered the spellbook and will try the double move cast crusade banner turn 1 and then armor up. I removed a few spells I did not really use or were not as useful after last nights play. I removed a ballista (I somehow forgot it was unique when I built it), Temple of the dawnbreaker, Allandell, and a few others changes.

Here is my current version of the spellbook. I have decided to try and keep Metatron and the goblin builder for the time being while I try and see if they are worth anything. As of right now the goblin builder might not be as useful as I was thinking in a faster paced game. I also am not sold on Martyr's Restoration yet. I might swap one or both of them out for another healing incantation or something else entirely.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Paladin V3[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Paladin Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSA01]3 x Luminous Blast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A04]1 x Fireball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ10]1 x Temple of Meraveran[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J04]1 x Raincloud[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ06]1 x Pillar of Righteous Flame[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ05]1 x Malakai's Basilica[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ03]1 x Crusade Banner[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSJ02]4 x Consecrated Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01J02]1 x Ballista[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSC16]2 x Light of Dawn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC18]1 x Metatron, Angelic Templar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC14]2 x Knight of the Red Helm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC04]1 x Cassiel, Shield of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC04]1 x Goblin Builder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSC06]2 x Crusader Griffin[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSE01]1 x Ballad of Courage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01E01]1 x Circle of Light[/mwcard]
[mwcard=LG01E03]2 x Critical Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE05]3 x Eye for an Eye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]2 x Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E20]1 x Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE06]2 x Healing Madrigal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE08]2 x Knight's Courage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE09]1 x Life Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E30]1 x Pacify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E37]1 x Sacred Ground[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE11]1 x Song of Love[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E12]1 x Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSQ01]1 x Champion's Gauntlets[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q27]1 x Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ02]2 x Dawn's Bastion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ04]1 x Helm of Justice[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ07]2 x Radiant Breastplate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ11]1 x Signet of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ12]1 x Steadfast Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSQ13]2 x Sword of Radiance[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSI01]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI03]3 x Lesser Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI04]2 x Martyr's Restoration[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI05]2 x Mending Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I17]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI06]1 x Overextend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI07]1 x Smite[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 02:24:19 PM »
I like the idea of using goblin builder to help setting up temples.  However you have alot of spawnpoints for stuff in this book tho which may slow stuff down.  I would get rid of Cassiel and keep the forge.  It seems like you would never get to cast both in the game or not have enough mana to get what you need.  Especially if you have goblin builder setting up temples.  Plus Cassiel does nothing for two rounds it will be much better use to cast crusade banner turn one so you can spawn some help when needed.  You might jump in and just start punching face with your Paladin killing creatures or attacking the mage.  Goblin builder slowly building temples, pop the banner and run in to help the paladin. 

Now that I think about it Cassiel may be more useful than the forge for healing purposes.  Either way right now you have too many things cooking and not enough focus. 

Another big problem is goblin builders are inherently slow in the fact they have to move wait a turn and use a full action to build a conjuration.  The good thing is if you are punching face the goblin would most likely be ignored for the most part. 

I may have to try this book out.  Neat idea!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Hardcordo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »
I like the idea of using goblin builder to help setting up temples.  However you have alot of spawnpoints for stuff in this book tho which may slow stuff down.  I would get rid of Cassiel and keep the forge.  It seems like you would never get to cast both in the game or not have enough mana to get what you need.  Especially if you have goblin builder setting up temples.  Plus Cassiel does nothing for two rounds it will be much better use to cast crusade banner turn one so you can spawn some help when needed.  You might jump in and just start punching face with your Paladin killing creatures or attacking the mage.  Goblin builder slowly building temples, pop the banner and run in to help the paladin.

Last night I tried having the forge, goblin builder, and Cassiel all out. I was really hurting for mana and I think it was a wasted effort to have all of them out at once. In last nights game the builder seemed the least effective for me because it took a long time to get  a temple out and he doesn't channel mana himself so there is no "discount" for him slowly summoning temples or a Ballista.

After my next play through the spellbook I think I need to figure out a plan for enchantments. I feel like I  have a ton of enchantments but maybe need to weigh what is actually most useful figure out what I am not using or is the least useful. Right now my spell book consists of 75 spells which I feel is too high? Like it is cool having what feels like a ton of options but I think maybe I am missing some crucial out of school spells. I am playing this book again next Tuesday at the game store so maybe I will have some more ideas after that one.

Also, has anyone had the aura's /valor be a major factor to how they play their paladin? Right now they have not been very crucial. I used smite once but either was forgetting to track valor (there is a lot to keep track of) or really generating it fast towards the end of the match.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »
Yea your enchantments need some tuning as well some major attack spells wouldn't hurt.  Surging Wave and acid ball.  Mage Wand, Elemental Wand, Force hammer/ boulder.  Might put a rouse the beast in and you could use it when you cast goblin builder so he can position himself to build next turn.  I also really like knockdown, force push, and a regular teleport in most of my books. 

I would get rid of one or both of fortified positions.  Sacred Ground I may also cut, especially with 4 consecrated grounds  it seems a little overkill in how many zones you want to influence.  Again keep it simple.  If you want Metatron Out he should be a focus.  If you want to run in and punch with the sword while the banner builds up than pop it....do that.  Throwing in some hard hitting attack spells along with a hawk eye would maintain the pressure. 

Also the Paladin has an ability to challenge which is basically a better akiros favor.  So you challenge the right enemy you could maybe do without akiros favor.  Unless you save it for metatron than that makes total since.  Other enchantments to think about is maybe bear strength to your mage and cheetah speed.   

As far as aura's yea I have successfully used them a couple of times.  The trick is to really mentally prepare for which ones would work well in the match your in and don't forget about it.  Find a good way with one or two pieces of equipment to earn you some valor and slowly build it up.  It is definitely not critical to have it out but if you get one or two out it could swing you the game.   I have also won matches with the Paladin without feeling the need to get it out an aura, so its not vital to win either. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
Things to consider are the 6 basic ideas and how will you beat them:

1) Rush
2) Weenie Swarm
3) High Armor
4) Big Buddy/Pets
5) Nonliving
6) Incorporeal

Plan out 14 turns of what you would do to win if your opponent did nothing to stop you. This is an average game length for a paladin and he should win a lot quicker than this in my opinion. 

I feel your plan is too slow and that Goblin Builder is a very weak card. If this card is taken out it seems to more or less stall your build, if I am wrong please correct me.

Hardcordo

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 08:38:59 PM »
I agree that the goblin builder sets me up for a much slower game than is really good for the paladin. I went through after reading the replies and decided to remove the Goblin Builder for now.

I will be going over my enchantments, incantations, and attacks a little bit more tomorrow and see what I can keep or change up a bit more. I feel pretty good about my equipment, conjurations, and creatures for right now. Although after I play this book again we will see how I feel.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 06:50:14 AM »
Things to consider are the 6 basic ideas and how will you beat them:

1) Rush
2) Weenie Swarm
3) High Armor
4) Big Buddy/Pets
5) Nonliving
6) Incorporeal

There is a good degree of overlap here. #2 is a sub-category of #1, #6 is a sub-category of #5 and #3 and #4 can be combined with any of them, although most likely with each other and #5.

That said, thinking about 'what is my response' to these decktypes, rather than thinking of them as categories is a good idea.

Plan out 14 turns of what you would do to win if your opponent did nothing to stop you. This is an average game length for a paladin and he should win a lot quicker than this in my opinion. 

Personally I don't map out more than 10 turns by spreadsheet, as that far ahead is too unpredictable, and turns 1-5 are much, much more important than 6-10.

Mapping out turns 1-5 against different opponent types (at least fast rush vs slow control) is more important than 14 generic turns in a vacuum.

I feel your plan is too slow and that Goblin Builder is a very weak card. If this card is taken out it seems to more or less stall your build, if I am wrong please correct me.

Agreed. The Full Action + Range zero combo means you use it every other turn (aka once then RIP). It's a very weak implementation of what would be a very useful function (and it was weaker still before the errata!).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:29:17 PM by Kelanen »

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 12:20:26 PM »
Mapping out turns 1-5 against different opponent types (at least fast rush vs slow control) is more important than 14 generic turns in a vacuum.

Yes, well normally I map out the goldfish route of complete optimal play against a vacant opponent; this forms version 0.1 of any build. I find this solitaire stage on a costing spreadsheet to be meditative and thus I can cement core points into a build.

I then run through 1-6 and flesh out those, bolt on the standard toolkit that I add to every book. Then finally I add on the biggest problems in the form of opponents, and what is in my local meta. This will run to 140-170 points.

I then run through and cull extra points, as you cannot plan for everything; even if the original large book does.

Sorry for the multiple edits my phone is not playing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:24:13 PM by Beldin »

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »

Yes, well normally I map out the goldfish route of complete optimal play against a vacant opponent; this forms version 0.1 of any build. I find this solitaire stage on a costing spreadsheet to be meditative and thus I can cement core points into a build.

One of the quick wins from this, at least for me, is I have a tendency (particularly in more controlling books) of putting in too many setup/economy cards. I generally limit those to the first three turns, even against another slow book (and generally less time against an aggressive book), and often tune down the number of mana crystals, etc once I've worked out, optimal first few turns against control and rush. Occasionally I find I'll have a spare action and mana and will put something in as well...