May 08, 2024, 06:29:45 AM

Author Topic: Reliable ways to deal with sleep?  (Read 4449 times)

Kedgen

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Reliable ways to deal with sleep?
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:00:08 AM »
Hello!

I'm somewhat new to the game and just started playing recently on OCTGN. One thing I've noticed is how pesky sleep is to get rid of. It seems like there are not many good ways to get rid of it without either spending lots of mana or seriously damaging your creature.

Obviously the priestess can make east work of this, and there is renewing spring, but often it's not possible to cast that in the same zone as the sleeping creature or the creature has sleep cast on it after the spring is out and is in another zone. You can teleport the creature, but it seems like there should be a better alternative that would work in more decks.

Acid Ball can be decent, especially if the creature has no armor to begin with, but corrode is a pretty bad condition to inflict on your own creature. The best thing I can think of is the Wand of Healing since it's fairly cheap and indiscriminately gets rid of status effects. However how practical is it to include this in most decks? Does anyone out there have a spell or combo that is their go-to for getting rid of sleep? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Halewijn pointed out below that you can't drink from a renewing spring if you're asleep. (oh yeah, DUH!) Thanks Halewijn for pointing that out :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:51:46 AM by Kedgen »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Reliable ways to deal with sleep?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:22:16 AM »
Acid ball would be the last thing I did.. I don't think the sleeping creature can drink from the spring since it is sleeping. Melee attacking is mostly what I do, or a force push vs a wall. Sleep is strongest when playing vs. a buddy build. Swarms have in general no problem with sleep, since they can wake each other up. Sleep is 1 of the biggest reasons why it's better having 2 creatures out.

I'm assuming this comes from a thoughtspore mostly? Kill it fast! It can be a hell otherwise.

Another thing I did once is using an area attack. I hit the enemy + his monsters and woke mine up.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:24:37 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Reliable ways to deal with sleep?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:26:09 AM »
Mind shield to counter sleep altogether.
Clear mind promo card
Wand of healing is really good
Also could use a curse that does DOT than use shift enchantment or enchantment transfusion to move the curse somewhere else.

If you're facing a swarm, one trick to consider trying is use plagued on the sleeping creature than teleport it to the enemy swarm during final qc. Your opponent will have no idea what you're doing.

You might or might not just want to attack it to wake it up, depending on the creature and how much damage and life it has
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »
Mind shield to counter sleep altogether.
Clear mind promo card
Wand of healing is really good
Also could use a curse that does DOT than use shift enchantment or enchantment transfusion to move the curse somewhere else.

If you're facing a swarm, one trick to consider trying is use plagued on the sleeping creature than teleport it to the enemy swarm during final qc. Your opponent will have no idea what you're doing.

You might or might not just want to attack it to wake it up, depending on the creature and how much damage and life it has

Indeed, sometimes it is better to just let it take a nap. I also use that curse trick. never used mind shield myself. I never use cards online that I cannot use in reality, (Clear mind, plagued), but nice ideas!  :)

The adramelech warlock could add a burn and afterwards move it to another creature.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:33:18 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Kedgen

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:57:05 AM »
Ah, I like the curse idea! That seems like it potentially damages your creature the least and still gives you the follow-up of cursing your opponent. It at least makes it feel more worthwhile if it's a really important creature! Force push bash is also a good idea since it's a low number of dice and no status die and can be used as a quick-cast (unlike the mage's attack).

Also another question: what is the deal with promo cards? Are these cards that will never be released and are given away at conventions or something like that? I see them floating around but don't understand why they exist.

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:09:07 AM »
If you already have a Dancing Scimitar equipped, you can use it to wake up creatures as well. It is a free action, doesn't cost you mana, but you have to be in the same zone as your creature at the end of your Mage's action phase.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »
Idol of pestilence should work, right? I know Bashcon Beatdown used Deathlink and Enchantment Transfusion for anti-sleep.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Kedgen

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 09:57:24 PM »
Thanks for all of the helpful feedback! Seems like there are quite a few ways to deal with it and which one to use ultimately depends on the type of book. Lots of the spells mentioned are spells that already fit well into a certain type of book.

And as you mentioned I definitely see the value of letting the creature nap for a while until a time arrives when it's efficient to wake it :)

Thanks again!