May 18, 2024, 06:19:29 AM

Author Topic: Wall of Pikes facing?  (Read 2941 times)

Skytale

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wall of Pikes facing?
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
I'm wondering if the caster is free to choose any direction for the "Wall of Pikes" card. I realize that the flavor text says "always make sure the pointy end is facing the enemy", but is it actually illegal to set it up with the pikes facing the caster?*

Also, if you choose to extend the spell, does the facing have to be the same for both parts of the wall, or could you set up a 2-square linear wall with one section facing left and the other facing right?

*The tactic I'm thinking of here is using inward facing pikes to trap an opponent into a corner along with my forcemaster. The forcemaster can do solid damage with Galvitar up close. And not only does the opponent take damage if he runs away, but you can suck him right back in cheaply with your force pull! Best of all, if your opponent summons in lots of creatures to help him out in there, a simple 4-mana "Repulse" spell will damage every other creature in there with you, either by pushing them through the pikes, or smacking them into the walls. Unlike all the other force-pushing spells, "Repulse" doesn't seem to have any restrictions about pushing through passage-attacks walls.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Wall of Pikes facing?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Great tactics!

When you cast Wall of Pikes you may choose which way to face it.  This gives it great flexibility for a variety of purposes.

Skytale

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:42:13 AM »
OK, cool! Thanks for the quick and clear response.

BlueByLiquid

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »
This sounds like an awesome plan and I am not sure I would have thought about it. Great job!

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »
Quote from: "Skytale" post=8146
I'm wondering if the caster is free to choose any direction for the "Wall of Pikes" card. I realize that the flavor text says "always make sure the pointy end is facing the enemy", but is it actually illegal to set it up with the pikes facing the caster?*

Also, if you choose to extend the spell, does the facing have to be the same for both parts of the wall, or could you set up a 2-square linear wall with one section facing left and the other facing right?

*The tactic I'm thinking of here is using inward facing pikes to trap an opponent into a corner along with my forcemaster. The forcemaster can do solid damage with Galvitar up close. And not only does the opponent take damage if he runs away, but you can suck him right back in cheaply with your force pull! Best of all, if your opponent summons in lots of creatures to help him out in there, a simple 4-mana "Repulse" spell will damage every other creature in there with you, either by pushing them through the pikes, or smacking them into the walls. Unlike all the other force-pushing spells, "Repulse" doesn't seem to have any restrictions about pushing through passage-attacks walls.

*hits 'like' button*

B)

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »
We need a thumbs up system....I have had to stop myself from making post that just say, thank you or good idea, so I dont just clutter up the thread. On that note,(so I actually add something to the post) In my first game with the new expansion. I was the forcemaster and had just set up a wall of pikes facing me with extendable in the border of the zone with me, and five of my opponents creatures not including his mage. I used repulse and pushed three of them plus his mage through the walls, he thought he would cast wall of pikes and extend it, boxing me in. I sat there and used hurl bolder and force hammer for two rounds and won the game. No body puts baby in the corner!
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.