May 04, 2024, 05:01:52 AM

Author Topic: Cards from the core set in the expansion?  (Read 6374 times)

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Cards from the core set in the expansion?
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:15 AM »
Hi,

Just a quick question, will cards from the core set be included in the warlord / forcemaster expansion? For example simple spells like block or dispel.

Reason I ask is I have been considering getting some core tomes, just want to make an educated buying decision.

Thanks and great game by the way!

Soulblight

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cards from the core set in the expansion?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:36:23 AM »
I would love to have some insight in this as well.

200+ cards coming with the expansion so I would guess there are some existing cards there.
Just a guess though.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
that would really tick me off. if i want more core spells ill buy the tomes.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
I believe they are putting playable spell books for the force master and warlord into the expansion, making some cards from the core set a necessity. This might be undesirable for some, but others will welcome it because they will have spell books built for each mage and need the extra core cards to complete their spell books.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
I hope this isn't the case - there is already the spell tome to give us additional copies of the 'basic' spells from the base set. The expansions should give us all new spells. The only exception to this is a new base set.
Otherwise we'd end up with a ridiculous number of Dispels and wotnot after a few expansions.

There's nothing to stop them making spell lists for the two new mages that require spells from the base set, but these shouldn't be included. After all, 99.9% of buyers of this expansion will already have the base set....

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Hey guys,

Yes, there are a very small number of cards in the Forcemaster vs Warlord sets that are reprints from the core game. Out of the 216 spells in the game, 13 of those are from the Core Set, and 7 of those are unique cards. This was a very hard decision, but ultimately, based on past feedback with the core set, we thought players would want both mages to be 100% playable directly out of the box without having to purchase another spell tome, or disassembling previously built mages.

Going forward, we're trying our hardest to only release new spells, and we'll be designing replacement spells for some of the common ones in the future. I think we did a good job keeping the number of repeats as small as possible. However, it's always good to hear what you guys want so we can best provide it.

--Sean

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
From my perspective that kind of ratio (203 spells out of the 216) being prints of new spells is great.

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
If its that few I'm a not too worried about it. I just didn't want half of a core set shoved down my throat just to get the expansion cards.

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:24:45 PM »
That sounds like a pretty elegant solution to the books being playable out of the box and having a lot of cool new content.

Hats off.... again! It's a great game.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
Ah that's excellent news. A few cards from the core set is fine but I was concerned that there might be a lot of them present.

Good stuff keep up the good work!

Soulblight

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:21:00 AM »
This is a well thought out compromise.  Thanks!

Bjorne

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 07:29:18 AM »
Very nice, I just placed an order for a second core set because of this news!

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
I don't mind some of the repetition; it's just that many more cards in my aresenal and with the 4 and 6 card limits that means, my self being the sole provider of the game in my group, I will have multiple mages built and ready-to-play at the same time.

Dre2Dee2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »
I certainly don't mind a handful of repeats. Some cards are so handy some extra copies for the new mages so I don't have to take apart existing decks is nice. :)

It will also help with learning to pick up the new mages. At least you'll come into their spell tomes knowing what a few of their spells do ;)