May 01, 2024, 08:44:32 PM

Author Topic: Frost damage  (Read 3532 times)

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Frost damage
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1698407/thoughts-next-expansion

"Aaron Brosman       Posted Sat Dec 31, 2016

I'm almost 100% positive the next expansion will have Frost damage spells in it. It's something we originally meant to have back in Druid vs. Necromancer, but it ended up not fitting with the Mage we were making. However, unless something pretty drastic happens I'd expect Freeze/Frost Damage to be in the next set. "

When I think of a Frost Mage, Frostwitch comes to me mind.
I Think that"frost"is in the Waterschool at Home, so the Sirene can also use. For the Frost Mage, frost spells will simply be easier to cast or make more damage through equipment, Rings and so on.
But maybe Frost is in Nature School?
Baerskin a lvl 1 Armor 2 Armor Frost -2
Dragonscale Hauberk, Wind Wyvern Hide, Storm Drake Hide,...
What you think about Frost...
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

KissBlade

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Frost damage
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:29:28 PM »
Well they mentioned something about Barbarians so I assumed that they come from the cold frosty north.   :D

But yeah Bearskin and other Frost-2's were really???

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
ב"ה
But maybe Frost is in Nature School?
Baerskin a lvl 1 Armor 2 Armor Frost -2
Dragonscale Hauberk, Wind Wyvern Hide, Storm Drake Hide,...
What you think about Frost...
I first want to note chitin armor is nature while acid spells are water, so we already have an exception. 

If we examine ice themes in common fantasy worlds, then in D&D ice is themed toward water while in Exalted cold is themed toward air (and somewhat toward dark with the abyssal exalted).
The Water school already include two of the most useful attack types - hydro and acid. Both surging wave and acid ball are really common spells that most competitive books include a copy of (even when not trained in water). Nonetheless, I somehow remember someone from arcane wonders saying somewhere that frost is supposed to be a water spell (a long ago, I think in one episode of mage wars Mondays). It was a long time ago, so maybe I didn't remember it correctly.
The Air school already have lightning and wind. Unlike hydro and acid, most competitive books not trained in air don't take lightning or wind spells. Considering the next arena expansion is supposed to include a mage trained in air (wizard), it makes air a possible candidate. [Unless the barbarian VS sorcerer is before wizard VS forcemaster?]
The dark school is out of question, since now that the necromancer counts as one of the best mages there is no chance that arcane wonder will give such a major boost as in-school attack spells. Not likely.
Nature school actually sound like a fair possibility, since the beastmasters aren't the best mages right now (and the druid have enough good in school attack spells anyway). Might give some interesting possibilities for beastmasters.

I don't think there are currently other schools that could be serious candidates for frost
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:52:23 PM by Super Sorcerer »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »
Frost damage could be Air and/or Water school. For instance, a level 1 Frost spell might be "Air OR Water", level 2 could be "Air & Water", etc. Would depend what the spell does. But this has been done before with (non-Frost) spells like [mwcard=MWBG1J04]Raincloud[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MWBG1A04]Sandstorm[/mwcard]. And this would make it more likely to appear in an Alt-Wizard expansion, assuming she gets training in Arcane + Air, and would make at least some of the spells slightly more expensive for Siren than simply putting all Frost spells in the Water school. It would be weird if the Siren got cheap access to all of the Frost spells considering Water Elemental has Frost +3, for instance. That is, Aquatic creatures don't really want to get frozen! Ditto for Plants (with Druid being trained in level 1 Water).

Remember:
Hydro (Water school) > Flame (Fire school) - e.g. Extinguish trait
Flame (Fire school) > Frost (Air/Water school?) - e.g. Defrost trait
Frost (Air/Water school?) > Hydro (Water school) - e.g. Frost +3 on Water Elemental

Maybe we'll see a "Freeze" or "Frozen" marker (hence the Defrost trait), and I could imagine Hydro-based Water school being susceptible to Freeze/Frozen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:59:41 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
On the other hand, there is already the precedent that:

Flame (Fire) > Nature...
(e.g. Plant creatures and conjurations are susceptible to Flame damage; Bridge Troll has Flame +3; etc)

So perhaps Frost will be tied to Nature in some way. Besides, Nature is one of the only schools (along with War) without an attack spell* or damage type.
(Dark has [mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]Devil's Trident[/mwcard], not to mention various direct damage and/or vampiric Incantations; Holy has several attack spells, including 1 "good" one; Arcane has Arcane Missiles; Mind has [mwcard=FWA02]Force Hammer[/mwcard] and [mwcard=FWA05]Invisible Fist[/mwcard])

* - ignoring [mwcard=DNI02]Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:35 PM »
I keep telling you guys, all you gotta do is win Gen Con with no losses, then beat each judge without taking a point of damage and we'll tell you what Frost does  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
Maybe we'll see a "Freeze" or "Frozen" marker (hence the Defrost trait), and I could imagine Hydro-based Water school being susceptible to Freeze/Frozen.

Im Sure we see Freeze" or "Frozen marker... and i think it will likely be Water/ Suptype Cold And the shape of an ice crystal!
Fire = Flame = Burn-marker
Water=Frost=Frozen-marker
What you think the frost marker look like?
I've been thinking about it for a long time :)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
Hey guys itd shitty weather outside that is meant to be winter. Can you please stop talking about frost?! It's getting cold in here and I am looking forward to finally see warm sun again  8)
... So whats this defrost all about? Kind of a Sunburn effect?