May 16, 2024, 09:06:54 PM

Author Topic: Can tough bring the effect die below 1?  (Read 3227 times)

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Can tough bring the effect die below 1?
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »
If I have tough-2 and a spike pit trap attacks me and rolls a 2, modified to a 0 do I avoid the stuck condition?  (spike pit trap hives stuck on a 1+)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Can tough bring the effect die below 1?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
If I am not mistaken, no roll can be reduced to less than one.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
I believe it can.

But my accuracy is getting pretty low, so dont take it for granted.

I also believe the roll can go above 12. Thats one of the reasons the old (original) TOL was made so it stunned on medium numbers and dazed on smht like 9+. That way the stun would remain static and the daze could increase with additional temples.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure effect dice can be modified to be below 1. Else why would Spike Pit have an effect die of 1+ = Stuck instead of simply saying that it applies stuck?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
I guess we are waiting on Shadow here....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:12:34 PM »
There is nothing in the rules that prevents the effect die from going below 1 or above 12. Both are perfectly legal. The only universal restriction on dice modification is that an attack can't be reduced to less than one attack die. You could certainly avoid the stuck condition of spiked pit trap.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:14:56 PM by Zuberi »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:44:01 PM »
I've always played it as the modifiers effected the actual effect numbers. Fore example if I have tough -2 and you spike pit trap then you need a 3 or higher to stick me instead of a 1.  Now, I'll totally ask Bryan. We're a bit crazy this weekend, so It may be Tuesday or so before I can get a firm answer.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »
Your method of adding to the target number is perfectly valid, Laddin. It has the exact same result as subtracting from the number rolled. Either way, you avoid the stuck condition on a roll of 1 or 2 when you have the tough -2 trait. Whether you apply the trait directly to the dice roll or conversely to the target number is really up to you. Whichever way makes the math easier for you, because the result is the same.

The point of the question though is about limitations of modifiers on the effect die, and there are none in the rules. Dice rolls (or target numbers) can go above 12 and below 1 after applying modifiers.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:36 PM »
Another example of the same principle would be casting pillar of light against someone with the tough -2 trait. Suddenly it has become impossible to stun them. Either you apply the trait to the dice roll, making it impossible to roll higher than a 10 (which is less than the 11 needed). Or you apply it to the target number, making it require that you roll at least a 13 on a twelve sided die, which is also impossible.

Both result in the same thing. Modifiers can make the possible impossible, such as in the case of pillar of light's stun, as well as being able to make the impossible possible, such as with spike pit trap's stuck. This is perfectly acceptable within the rules as written.