May 14, 2024, 11:11:22 AM

Author Topic: MAGE CAST 8  (Read 11093 times)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
MAGE CAST 8
« on: May 08, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »
Good morning all,

I've finished up and posted Mage Cast 8 HERE

I've also got a chance to show this (stay tuned to the end of the show for Puddnhead and I talking about it a little bit):
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
Re: MAGE CAST 8
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »
pleaaaaase!
put the "spoiler alert" in the tittle...

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:59:42 AM »
pleaaaaase!
put the "spoiler alert" in the tittle...

This one's already been spoiled in the other thread.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
I can't follow why knowledge of upcoming cards make the expension or the game less fun?!
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »
Level 2 Holy...THANK THE HEAVENS. I've been waiting for these types of creatures for a holy mage to make the temple even better and get solid creatures out more often. The mana investment of all the level 3 meant basically every other or 3rd round with the temple. Now, a holy swarm is even better with a few bigger hitters out there as well.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
This would make a pretty nasty holy avenger!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »
I can't follow why knowledge of upcoming cards make the expension or the game less fun?!
i like the surprise when i recieve the box!

This one's already been spoiled in the other thread.
i didn't read the other thread if it was anounced as a spoiler!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 09:43:56 PM »
Level 2 Holy...THANK THE HEAVENS. I've been waiting for these types of creatures for a holy mage to make the temple even better and get solid creatures out more often. The mana investment of all the level 3 meant basically every other or 3rd round with the temple. Now, a holy swarm is even better with a few bigger hitters out there as well.

Clerics only cost 5, and are quite valuable creatures. I have a friend who opens: Temple, Harmonize; Deploy Cleric, Cast Cleric, x... and then his temple is up an running with four mana a turn. (I think the Assyrian Defenders also are level 2, if memory serves.)

One the cast: Thanks for putting up another one... I enjoy listening to these. I especially liked getting the Warlord and Necro tips this time out. If I had any negative criticism, it would be that there was a mention of two female Mages (maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through), but they weren't named. I don't have any idea which Mages you all like the best, so this was just a little difficult to understand.

All in all, though, nice... and thanks again!
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:51:49 PM »
This would make a pretty nasty holy avenger!

And a nice counter to a Wizard's Tower!
(It's even immune to Arcane Zap. Talk about anti-Wizard tech!!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:53:34 PM by iNano78 »

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »

Clerics only cost 5, and are quite valuable creatures. I have a friend who opens: Temple, Harmonize; Deploy Cleric, Cast Cleric, x... and then his temple is up an running with four mana a turn. (I think the Assyrian Defenders also are level 2, if memory serves.)

One the cast: Thanks for putting up another one... I enjoy listening to these. I especially liked getting the Warlord and Necro tips this time out. If I had any negative criticism, it would be that there was a mention of two female Mages (maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through), but they weren't named. I don't have any idea which Mages you all like the best, so this was just a little difficult to understand.

Clerics are good to get the temple generating 2-4 mana a round, but even then, you still have to spend 8 out of pocket for a Guardian Angel, High Guard, Archer leaving little room to do anything else. This costs 9 and does 4 dice of attack and can only be harmed by melee or ranged direct attacks while a Defender only does 3 dice. And I'm not saying the Defenders are bad but this at least allows for a few more options and makes a swarm a lot easier.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 10:26:57 PM »

Hey Dave!  Thanks for the feedback.  Sorry about the vague references.  Shark's Lady is the Adramelech Warlock and my Lady is the Forcemaster.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 05:53:12 AM »
Clerics are good to get the temple generating 2-4 mana a round, but even then, you still have to spend 8 out of pocket for a Guardian Angel, High Guard, Archer leaving little room to do anything else. This costs 9 and does 4 dice of attack and can only be harmed by melee or ranged direct attacks while a Defender only does 3 dice. And I'm not saying the Defenders are bad but this at least allows for a few more options and makes a swarm a lot easier.

There are still many many things that kill this guy: in addition to non-spell creature attacks, there's any kind of DoT (Idol, curses, poison gas, conditions from things other than attack spells, like Rot from a creature's attack or Burn from ignite or hitting a damage barrier), traps, conjurations (like Corrosive Orchid or Mangler Caltrops), incantations like Burst of Thorns or Drain Life/Soul... quite literally everything that isn't a red card or says "spell" on the ability (like Arcane Zap).

His ability isn't very good in Academy (aside from being a minor creature with 4 attack, like a more expensive Razortusk... and I guess he's harder to Stagger since a Wizard can't just neutralize him with a Lightning spell), but he's great against an Arena Wizard who depends on Zap and Wizard's Tower.  That's about it, really. Most other mages have several ways to deal with him.

*edit* It probably just means Wizards will pack something cheap to counter him, like Force Push through a (Bloodspine) Wall (of Pikes/Fire) into a Spiked Pit/Hellfire Trap or something, to keep him off their Wizard's Towers.  Gets trickier when his opponent is packing 4x White Cloak Knight though...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:16:40 AM by iNano78 »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
MAGE CAST 8
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »

but this at least allows for a few more options and makes a swarm a lot easier.

This. "Swarm" sounds too aggro though. We need to come up with a new name for a control strategy that uses many low level creatures.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 09:00:07 AM »

but this at least allows for a few more options and makes a swarm a lot easier.

This. "Swarm" sounds too aggro though. We need to come up with a new name for a control strategy that uses many low level creatures.

Infestation?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »
Its been called a Canser deck by one of the victims here  :-X

If your oponent is casting 2½ creatures each round its pretty hard to deal without counters.

Lair+W Faerie and Ring of Beast - gives you 13 mana/ round - so you could pump out 3 creatures/round  :D
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever