May 06, 2024, 10:43:30 AM

Author Topic: Spell book building, multiple of same card  (Read 2837 times)

ravenwolf64

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Spell book building, multiple of same card
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
Gurus,
I just received my game today. I have been studying Spellbook building online and watching videos of duels online. Am I correct in understanding if I want multiples of cards in my deck I may need to actually purchase multiple Core Games (for cards that only have 1 copy of course)? For example, a player on Arcane Duels on YouTube had a spell book with 4 "Rajan's Fury" cards in it. Did the player actually have to purchase FOUR core sets? That's $240 to make his deck work the way he wanted? Are individual cards available from Arcane Wonders? I searched and it doesn't appear so. I realize for casual play at home the core set is probably fine, but if I head to a game shop to play will i be able to make competitive Spellbooks from just one core set?
Thank you for your time and attention :)
Peace!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:48:33 PM by ravenwolf64 »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Spell book building, multiple of same card
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »
Gurus,
I just received my game today. I have been studying Spellbook building online and watching videos of duels online. Am I correct in understanding if I want multiples of cards in my deck I may need to actually purchase multiple Core Games (for cards that only have 1 copy of course)? For example, a player on Arcane Duels on YouTube had a spell book with 4 "Rajan's Fury" cards in it. Did the player actually have to purchase FOUR core sets? That's $120 to make his deck work the way he wanted? Are individual cards available from Arcane Wonders? I searched and it doesn't appear so. I realize for casual play at home the core set is probably fine, but if I head to a game shop to play will i be able to make competitive Spellbooks from just one core set?
Thank you for your time and attention :)
Peace!

It's not uncommon for a "competitive" player to have 2 (or more) copies of the core set, especially if trying to maintain several spell books simultaneously.  Additionally, there are two "Core Spell Tomes" available that include 1-2 copies of popular spells.  They're a relatively affordable way to get extra copies of spells like Rajan's Fury, along with cards like Dispel, Dissolve, Teleport, Force Push, etc.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

ravenwolf64

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
It's not uncommon for a "competitive" player to have 2 (or more) copies of the core set, especially if trying to maintain several spell books simultaneously.  Additionally, there are two "Core Spell Tomes" available that include 1-2 copies of popular spells.  They're a relatively affordable way to get extra copies of spells like Rajan's Fury, along with cards like Dispel, Dissolve, Teleport, Force Push, etc.
Are the "Core Spell Tomes" usable with the new Mage Wars Arena or just the original core set?
Peace!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:30:06 PM »
Are the "Core Spell Tomes" usable with the new Mage Wars Arena or just the original core set?
Peace!

The new "Arena" core set is functionally identical to previous versions. Everything that was compatible with "Mage Wars" (printings 1-3) are compatible with "Arena" (4th printing). 
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:22:06 PM »
You can make a competitive spellbook with one core set. Playing well is 40% well thought out and familiar spellbook, 50% smart gameplay, 5% having all the cards, and 15% luck. I'm aware that adds to 110%, but some people only feel like winners by giving 110%. :P

You can't do many specific premade books (like 4 rajans fury, or 6 falcons) with just 1 core set.
You will have trouble maintaining multiple competitive spellbooks simultaneously with just the core set.

If you want more copies, get Core Spell Tomes rather than a new core set because they will probably end up cheaper in the end. I think its more valuable(and fun) to first spend money on new cards from new sets.

To play competitive, you need to be prepared for all of the released spells, because things like Intercept, [mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]Surging Wave[/mwcard] [mwcard=DNA01]Acid Ball[/mwcard], or [mwcard=DNQ07]Veteran's Belt[/mwcard] can mess up your day.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Phoenix

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
As an example of the above, my first Mage Wars Tournament at Origins 13, one person did not have a spell book with him and wanted to play, so he used the force master basic book, from foremast vs. warlord. Unless I am mistaken he came in 2nd place.
It is more the play and knowing the game then a chase for the cards in net decks.