May 02, 2024, 11:50:27 PM

Author Topic: OCTGN Challenge Boards: WIN PRIZES. MageRoars League (UPDATE!!!!)  (Read 29725 times)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: OCTGN Challenge Boards: WIN PRIZES. MageRoars League (UPDATE!!!!)
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 09:27:37 AM »
Hey Dude, I'm a little skeptic about seeing you join the tournament as a player yourself. You are getting all the screenshots and write-ups from all players. In addition you know the mage choices your opponents have. Don't you think that's giving you an unfair advantage?

FWIW, I'm ok with it. What someone played in the previous round won't affect the next round since you have to play a new mage.

That being said, if a list of the 4 mages that everyone in the tournament was given was made public then I feel it could go a long way to alleviating this concern. That may have been the intent from the beginning, though

• Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
Mr. Dude has my complete trust :)

Also, he is organizing fun for us with nothing in return (entry fee f.e. ) and i know, how time consuming this kind of event could be.

I am really interested in reports from this non-wizard tournament :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
Hmm, I was mainly worried about the fourth round because if the mage lists are public, everybody knows not only their opponent but precisely which mage they're up against. Doesn't that make it a very different deck building game?

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
Does that make it less fun?
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »
The mages will be made public!

Also, even if I win, I'm not going to give myself the prize! So, the second place player will be receiving the playmat in the (small) even that I win. As well, if more than 16 want to join, I can always exclude myself in order to make way for more opponents. I'm really in it right now so there are enough bodies to make this interesting. Plus I love playing Mage Wars. But I definitely understand where you are coming from and if the group decides that I will have too much of an advantage, I will gladly remove myself from the listing of players.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
TheDude,

As long as the mages are truly chosen at random, and each participant's list of mages is made public immediately after they've been randomly selected so that everyone finds out about it about the same time you do so that you don't get extra preparation time, and as long as no one uses the same spellbook twice, there should be no reason to worry about getting an unfair advantage. That being said, if you don't have an algorithm that can randomly assign lists of mages to players, simply roll a D12 four times per player, writing down every result, post the results, then shuffle all 12 mages into a deck and start drawing. Top mage card would be 1 and bottom would be 12. You could do this at the start of every tournament round. You might want to film yourself doing this, just to be sure.

It's not that I don't think you're trustworthy, but this should be really easy to do, and you might not be the only one who ever runs this league, and it's best if you set a precedent in order to prevent future organizers from cheating.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

theasaris

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »
I didn't realize that the mage lists would be public. Sorry if I missed that information. In that case I'm perfectly fine with you, TheDude, playing and curious how all the decks will look in round 4 when being developed precisely against a specific mage.

Also, I'd like to clarify that I didn't mean to express my concerns towards you personally. Please accept my apologies if you felt offended by my previous posts.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »
D12 will be used! Algorithms are not my specialty, although that would be awesome.

And theasaris, it's no big deal at all! I definitely understand wanting to have as fair of an experience as possible. No apology needed :)
Always carry a towel...

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 05:06:18 PM »
Btw, I just noticed that you changed your forum sig to "Cellar Door". You should turn it into a link, that way people can open the cellar door to see what's behind it. Unless it's some reference to something that I'm just not getting.

Can't wait for the league to begin!
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 11:39:19 PM »
Shoot me an email if you, Sailor, and Theasaris, want to join!

And it's a reference to the movie Donnie Darko, in which the English teacher refers the phrase "Cellar Door" as the most beautiful phrase in all of the English language.
Always carry a towel...

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 06:33:42 AM »
Already signed up! :P

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »
Sailor, I don't think I've gotten your email!
Always carry a towel...

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 02:28:56 AM »
did yout get mine?

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 04:35:21 AM »
I don't think so, Mystery. Try sending it to padawanofthegames@gmail.com one more time for me.

@Sailor Vulcan, if you could do the same, that would be lovely.

I just want to make sure you all have a smooth enough time getting in contact with me.
Always carry a towel...

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 05:47:29 AM »
Um, I know for a fact that I'm signed up already because you said and I quote, "I've got you down!" and my octgn username is already on the list on the first page.