May 17, 2024, 06:41:01 PM

Author Topic: GENCON 2015 Tournament  (Read 38940 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: GENCON 2015 Tournament
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 05:16:58 PM »
I would hope the battlegrounds cards would be legal at gen con. They will have been street legal for almost a month.

That is presuming they are out this upcoming week as planned.

I wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of moratorium on the use of cards... say, one to three months after publication... for their use in tournaments.

I'd hate to think that some people might have access to particular spells that others may not (due to potential distribution or underproduction issues, for example). Even if there are no such issues, I'd think that it still might be better to keep some players from having to face the next "mandatory include" without having been able to afford to purchase the set as soon as it comes out (say, until the next pay check), or the understanding of how their current strategy may be changed due to making cards that they have never seen available.

Unfamiliar cards in play also may tend to slow down tournament games as the players who have never seen them before take time to look them over as they are played against them... and work out strategies on how to deal with any surprises contained in them.

Also, we probably end up playing against play-testers or others (for example those on OCTGN) who may have used (or at least studied) new cards for months prior to their publication.

If the idea is to encourage serious players to purchase products immediately upon release, then it works better if you allow cards from products released up to the day of the start of the tournament. This also may serve to frustrate others and keep them from playing in tournaments... or perhaps at all.

Just a thought... I can live with it either way. For my purposes, I just need to know how to finalize my tournament book sometime before the day the tournament starts. (Thanks for letting us know that the decision will be made very soon now.)
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »
Three MONTHS would be rather excessive.  Other games I've played tend to have 1-3 weeks before new product becomes tournament legal after release, and I think that's pretty reasonable.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
GENCON 2015 Tournament
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »
Why not try to build your spellbook without the new cards? Instead of assuming it's not going to be viable, have you ever tried to figure out how to make your spellbooks viable without the new cards? A slight disadvantage isn't  the same thing as a fatal weakness. A lot of times I've found that the staple cards are not the cards that are absolutely necessary to make a particular spellbook strategy viable, and many staples have some slightly weaker substitutes. I recently made a really awesome warlock deck that is really great except for that it gets shut down by cloak of shadows and rolling fog, and I've yet to figure out how to fix that. However, it would probably work just fine without acid ball.

And my most recent core set x1 only  spellbooks which I haven't posted yet are pretty decent too. The beastmaster needs more work though, I probably should take out most of the defensive stuff and put in some more position control, like force hold and enfeeble.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:58:18 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
The way I'd score it is like this: Domination legal. Academy not so much.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 10:45:26 AM »
The nice thing about Mage Wars is that it is not a Collectible Card Game. This ensures an (potential) even distribution of cards among players. For GENCON, if you don't currently don't own Domination and plan to buy at the con, all you really need at the moment is the spell list for what cards and how many are provided by the expansion. From there you can use proxies to hold any card choices from the Domination set until the purchase.

As the green blooded guy said, you don't need the expansion to compete in the tournament though.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »
Hey, we're trying to fill one space in the tournament. It's first come, first serve. If you're interested please let me know ASAP. We need to get this ball rolling!
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »
Also, if you'r against the idea because you don' know how to use OCTGN, I will teach you personally tonight.  :)

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread... If you're interested please refer to the Thunderdome thread

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
That makes sense... last I looked there were around 16 spots left for the GenCon touney :)
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Trent Magnus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2015, 06:54:46 PM »

He's not only judging he's giving me and another judge a ride as well as one of our reigning Wounded Warrior Champions who's coming to compete. His car is the most reliable. So if JasonBourneZombie doesn't make it we gotta grey hound it.

I am the "one of our reigning Wounded Warrior Champions" that Silverclawgrizzly is talking about. I am new to the forums (this is my first post), but I hope to be able to make some valuable contributions. I am excited to see those of you who will be coming to Gencon 2015.
β€œIt is for some to command the forces of nature, for others to harness the primal forces of the elements, and still others to manipulate the delicate forces of life and death, yet only one controls force itself.” – Trent Magnus

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »
What is the offiical policy on how to handle cards from earlier printings that have had their text updated in a more recent printing?  My core sets are from the first printing, and I know that quite a few of the cards have been tweaked in later printings.

I can still use the physical copies I have from the 1st edition, right?  But the wording for the most recent printing would apply?

On a related note, is there any place that one can find a comprehensive list of all cards that have received updated text?  The officlal Mage Wars Rules Supplement has updates for some cards, but not all.  (For example, it has updated text for Battle Fury, but does not mention Skeletal Sentry being updated to have the Soldier subtype.)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2015, 11:36:17 PM »
That's a pretty good question Vlad. For me I'd say since I and the other judges know what's been updated go ahead and play the older cards if you want. If it actually becomes a big issues I'll see what we can't do about getting some of the newer printing cards.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 06:53:50 AM »
I've been allowed to use my earlier edition tanglevine at tournaments before. Just as silverclaw says, as long as you know what the updated card text is you should be fine.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 08:18:59 AM »
What is the offiical policy on how to handle cards from earlier printings that have had their text updated in a more recent printing?  My core sets are from the first printing, and I know that quite a few of the cards have been tweaked in later printings.

I can still use the physical copies I have from the 1st edition, right?  But the wording for the most recent printing would apply?

On a related note, is there any place that one can find a comprehensive list of all cards that have received updated text?  The officlal Mage Wars Rules Supplement has updates for some cards, but not all.  (For example, it has updated text for Battle Fury, but does not mention Skeletal Sentry being updated to have the Soldier subtype.)

Yes, use the old cards, but the most recent wording. As for a collected place where you can find all of those, that would be the supplement. I was working hard on it last week and am nearly done updating it. Then it should be much more helpful to you!

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
I currently am scheduled to play in the tournament, but with out time to playtest and build I may withdraw. Still not certain.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid