May 19, 2024, 12:33:41 AM

Author Topic: Necromancer - Skeleton build  (Read 5220 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Necromancer - Skeleton build
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:59:21 PM »
I have been working on a Necro book for a few weeks now. It started as a Zombie book, but I got tired of running away from my own creatures when I was hurt. Once I started to look at Skeletons, I was pretty happy with what I eventually came up with, so I thought that I'd share.

The name is just a working title, and is similar to at least one other posted book... so I would be happy to entertain ideas on that. Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Army of the Dead[/spellbookname]
[mage]Necromancer[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a09]1 x  Jet Stream[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j18]1 x  Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]1 x  Armory[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j11]1 x  Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]3 x  Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC07]1 x  Mort[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC14]1 x  Skeletal Knight[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC13]2 x  Skeletal Archer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c32]4 x  Skeletal Sentry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC15]4 x  Skeletal Minion[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e22]1 x  Hellfire Trap[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]1 x  Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]1 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]1 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]1 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x  Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]1 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]1 x  Enchantment Transfusion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ02]1 x  Death Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ05]1 x  Libro Mortuos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x  Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ03]1 x  Deathshroud Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]1 x  Drain Soul[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i08]1 x  Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]1 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]1 x  Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i25]1 x  Shift Enchantment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI05]1 x  Unholy Resurgence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI03]3 x  Reassemble[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Notes on some of the spells selected that don't seem terribly obvious:

Attack spells: Selected on the basis of range (range = 2, usable while Obscured defensively) and low mana cost. Jet Stream is especially useful against flyers, Acid Ball against highly armored targets, and Surging Wave to attack which trying to push creatures away. The Surging Wave theoretically could be used for use against a Battle Forge, but unless it is far forward (NC or closer), I don't see using it against the BF. The most important of these would be attached to the Elemental Wand for reusability.

Conjurations: Poison Gas Cloud is nice for use in a defensive position / major combat location, or for placing in the same zone as an opponent's Renewing Spring / Druid's Treebond location, or a Creature Spawnpoint. The Tanglevines are mostly to tie down guards. Since every Creature is a soldier, they all benefit from an Armory (which hopefully gets placed around the time that the opponent gets involved with my skeletons, providing a distraction).

Creatures: Mort is in there to reconstruct damaged creatures and to apply Taints (so the Necro can use his extra damage ability from Plague Master). I thought about adding Acolytes of the Bog Queen for additional reconstruct support, but decided to put in Reassembles and the UR incantations instead since the Acolytes can't be brought out by the Libro. All Creatures in the book can be Reconstructed and all benefit from the Armory as noted before.

Enchantments: Fortified Position is amazing with skeletons... I wish I could fit in a second one, but settled on a Shift Enchantment for repositioning it (and other purposes). I put in the trap to have a second face down enchant to keep the opponent guessing... at least until I reveal the FP... in addition to doing a little damage to a closing creature. The Enchantment Transfusion has a few purposes. It can move the Nullify to a creature in an emergency (for example if Mort is about to get Teleported [I do not have Astral Anchor]), or dump 2+ curses onto the enemy Mage at once (especially the Warlord with Harshforge Plate). It also can be used to move a curse from one enemy creature to another in a pinch. If Blur comes out as currently printed, I probably will swap one in for the Cloak.

Equipment: On armor selection, I decided to go with only one piece since I am hoping that it won't get dissolved too quickly... I am hoping that my multiple creatures will be too much trouble for him before he can attack my Necro effectively. I went with the Storm Drake Hide because I have had much more trouble with Lightning spell effects than burns. I like the Staff for two reasons, the ability to add another poison condition for the direct poison damage, and the zone-wide Melee +1 ability.

Incantations: These are only bare-bones quantities of what I consider essential. The only spell that might require a comment is the Seeking Dispel. I have that in there for trap removal and possibly to get rid of FD Astral Anchors. (I've found that to be an especially annoying spell.)

The general idea is to bring out as many creatures as possible, with Mort coming out around turn 4-6 for his reconstruction ability. The Minions would be saved for last, when I could cast four of them in two turns to add to battle quickly (to be treated as attack spells).

Opening idea 1 / Opponent not overly aggressive:
Turn 1 = 20: Death Ring (-5), Libro (-9*)
Turn 2 = 16/1: deploy Skeletal Knight [Eternal Servant] (-11*/-1), Meditation Amulet (-4), MEDITATE (+3)
Turn 3 = 14/1: deploy Skeletal Archer (-9*/-1), MEDITATE (+3), Cloak of Shadows (-6)

Opening idea 2 / Opponent brings out one or more flying creatures by turn 2:
Turn 2 = 16/1: deploy Skeletal Knight [Eternal Servant] (-11*/-1), Meditation Amulet (-4), MEDITATE (+3)
Turn 3 = 14/1: deploy Skeletal Archer (-9*/-1), MEDITATE (+3), Elemental Wand [Jet Stream] (-5)
Guard with Knight on Turn 3 in this opening

Opening idea 3 / Aggressive opponent:
Turn 3 = 14/1: deploy Skeletal Sentry (-6*/-1), MEDITATE (+3), Armor (-6)
Guard with Knight on Turn 3 in this opening

* = Discount from Ring
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer - Skeleton build
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
Worth noting, bloodthirsty forces you to attack damaged living enemy creatures. A necromancer is safe from his own zombies.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Kanedio

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:58:01 AM »
bloodthirsty forces u to attack ENEMY damaged living creatures.Said so i would rather get rid of one minion and one sentry for one more knight,run at least one more piece of armor since that will get dissolved instantly or acid balled.plus in my opinion u need more channelling since u will need lot of mana doing what u are planning to do

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
Worth noting, bloodthirsty forces you to attack damaged living enemy creatures. A necromancer is safe from his own zombies.

Are you kidding me?! I was made to attack my own Mage with my Zombies. Grrrr.....

Thanks for that feedback!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:56:24 PM »
bloodthirsty forces u to attack ENEMY damaged living creatures.Said so i would rather get rid of one minion and one sentry for one more knight,run at least one more piece of armor since that will get dissolved instantly or acid balled.plus in my opinion u need more channelling since u will need lot of mana doing what u are planning to do

See above on comment about Bloodthirsty. I was told wrongly and didn't remember the rule. I wonder if I should go back to building the book with Zombies again....

I like the idea of getting one more Knight, I like having the defense for the creature that I plan to use to guard most often. I have trouble imagining the loss of one of the Minions... I would like to mass cast those mid to late game. I might be able to bring two out a turn for seven total mana (one from Libro, and two discount from the Ring). In addition, the Knight is my eternal servant and I tend to save mana once it becomes possible for the Servant to be destroyed. Also, the global bonuses from Armory and Staff get better the larger the number of creatures you have out.

Honestly, I don't care about the second piece of armor all that much. I even thought about not having any armor, but settled for one piece. (The only reason that I really want another one would be for fire protection against certain Mages.) I've got the Fortified Position that I might be able to use a little for emergency armor, and I'm hoping that the multiple creatures will keep the enemy Mage off of me for a while... giving him other things to do than to spend time removing my armor. With the Cloak, he can only Acid Ball me from range one, and I will have my skeletons in place to hit him if he does. I also have had trouble recasting armor in the past... too many other priorities to cover for my limited number of actions.

You don't think that 11-14 channeling a turn is enough? I have a Base 10, plus one from the Libro, plus an optional three when I use the Amulet. I actually thought about putting in a Harmonize for the Mage... but I don't want to tempt a Purge Magic. I don't want to take up too many zones with Zone Exclusives, so Mana Crystal / Flowers were put on lower priority. I might put in something... it would be two spellbook points though. What would you take out for it... Curses? Maybe the second Ghoul Rot?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:04:01 PM by DaveW »

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »
Personally, I am not a fan of the staff. The cloak gives a necromancer a strong incentive to stay away from the fighting and to keep mobile in case someone closes. Being forced near, or at times into, the thick of it exposes you to risk. Pair the staff with the meditation amulet and your mage has strong incentives to camp out in one zone indefinitely. The problem is that most mages can take advantage of that play style.

If you commit to using the staff and amulet, you will probably find yourself wishing you had another action to cast incantations and enchantments.

Let me know if it does work out, however. I've been interested in an in your face necromancer for a while now since mine is very much back row.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:03:05 AM by JasonBourneZombie »
...ergh...argh...

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »
I guess I can replace the Staff, Enchantment Transfusion, and one of the Ghoul Rots with a second Skeleton Knight, a second torso armor (Dragonscale Hauberk, most likely), and a Mana Crystal if the current build doesn't seem to work... but I'll try that one first. I'll get to play it a few times at the end of the week, I think.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »
I run a strictly spam and swarm zombie build and haven't ever been able to deviate from it much. Your instincts on the skeletal knight are dead on. It is one of the best undead creatures in the game, in my opinion. It will do quite well as an eternal servant.
...ergh...argh...

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »
I played a variation of this book twice tonight. +2 Skeletal Knights, - Staff, -1 each Minion and Sentry... and very slight tweaks otherwise... -1 Wall, - some curses, and +1 Purge Magic.

I won against a Necro Zombie + Ghoul build (where he spent some time killing off his own creatures to Grow the Ghouls) before he attacked with Brutes and Ghouls. I was just able to take out some key creatures at the right time (acid balled a 3x buffed Ghoul and killed it pretty quickly with creatures) while at the same time having enough guarding Skeletal Knights to keep the zombies off my Necro. Getting to avoid some of their attacks and then counterstrike with five dice was the highlight of my evening.

I lost miserably against a solo AC Warlock. He buffed with a Battle Forge, ending up with five armor plus Vet Belt (and a Hand of Bim-Shalla if needed), plus Lash, Ring, Gauntlets, Bear Strength, etc. I had to do at least three crit to damage him when attacking, so I only ever brought out my three knights. Once he put Vampirism on himself I knew the Mongoose Agility was just a turn away... so we called the game at that point. I used all my reconstruction ability to keep the Skeletons in the fight... but in the end it seemed hopeless.

I have no idea what I want to try next... but that was a nightmare. I guess I just don't know how to play against such a book/Mage.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
I could never stomach the thought of a ghoul build. 3 summons (1 ghoul 2 crawlers) an altar, and 2 creature actions spent eating for a minimum cost of 25 mana, whether from the ring, a spawnpoint, or from pocket, and all that for a 2 armor 15 health 6 melee and 2 piercing creature. Does the mage you played against have much luck with it?

In terms of performance, a mage wand/dissolve combo with the right timing might help you against high armor builds, as could more dissolves. Removing the belt and a piece of armor certainly seemed like it would have gone a long way.
...ergh...argh...

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
I could never stomach the thought of a ghoul build. 3 summons (1 ghoul 2 crawlers) an altar, and 2 creature actions spent eating for a minimum cost of 25 mana, whether from the ring, a spawnpoint, or from pocket, and all that for a 2 armor 15 health 6 melee and 2 piercing creature. Does the mage you played against have much luck with it?

In terms of performance, a mage wand/dissolve combo with the right timing might help you against high armor builds, as could more dissolves. Removing the belt and a piece of armor certainly seemed like it would have gone a long way.

I only know that he played this revised book... and that he was on the verge of losing when we stopped. I had something like three knights, an archer or two, Mort, and a couple other skeletons out at the time against his Brute eternal servant. We both believe that had he used the creatures that he ate instead, he would have had a much better time of it... it would have been a different kind of game.

He can pretty much one-shot any of my skeletons short of the Knights in melee so even if I dissolve some armor and a belt, it's still a very short game. (This doesn't even consider that he always packs a second piece of these things in his book, and is guaranteed to dissolve any such wand... assuming I could find room for it in my book.) To make it worse, once I got three Knights out and attacking him, he cast a Ring of Fire that did 5-6 damage on each of my creatures... and followed up with a Flameblast to take one of them out before I could cast the Resurgence (he had initiative the following round).

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
I can't speak from direct experience, but one of my friends plays a skeleton necromancer. Curses may be another route to take vs the beatstick mage. Early disruption before they buff is also important, so well placed archers may speed things up.
...ergh...argh...