May 19, 2024, 02:48:01 AM

Author Topic: Same armor for swapping  (Read 3028 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Same armor for swapping
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
I know that you can swap one torso armor for another, and that the first armor comes off before the other goes on (allowing the possibility of removing corrode condition markers). That all was in another thread. While I think I saw the answer to this next question before, I couldn't find it just now:

Can you cast the same torso armor on yourself as you are currently wearing, since you won't ever have two of the same spells "on" the same object at the same time? Or is the rule such that you can't target the Mage with the spell that it already has attached to him? We played that you could, and just wanted to be 100% certain that this was true.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Same armor for swapping
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
Page 10 of the Rules Supplement states that you can cast duplicate equipment on yourself and that it will replace the prior equipment of that name. Thus, you can use this tactic to remove corrode.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
So then, you can cast multiple copies of the same spell targeting the same object, as long as there's always only one copy of each named object attached to the object? Or is it illegal to target an object with a spell if doing so would prevent the spell resolution step? Is the casting and targeting illegal? Or is it just the resolving?

Or is it just a special exception for equipment? If your lash of hellfire gets disabled, could you do the same thing and replace it with another lash of hellfire that isn't disabled? Could you replace a mage wand with another mage wand?

Or is this a special exception for equipment objects that give their mage an armor trait?

Also, I forget what happens when you replace a mage wand with another wand. Does the attached spell get discarded, or does it also go back to your spellbook? I couldn't find this in the rules supplement.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:01:17 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
It works on equipment if you will be swapping out the equipment. You can't have 2 Mage Wands or 2 Ring of Beasts equipped, but you could play a second one and target the same slot and switch out the cards. There have been discussions of using a Battleforge to swap out wands in order to effectively change the spell more action efficiently.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Same armor for swapping
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:46:24 PM »
It works on equipment if you will be swapping out the equipment. You can't have 2 Mage Wands or 2 Ring of Beasts equipped, but you could play a second one and target the same slot and switch out the cards. There have been discussions of using a Battleforge to swap out wands in order to effectively change the spell more action efficiently.

Oh yeah, that's right you can do that with a forge, so of course you can do it with your mage too... totally slipped my mind I can't believe I didn't make the connection... now I wonder why I never have seen anyone do that to deal with disarm? I mean it's more action and mana expensive than just waiting until upkeep, but if you're about to deal the winning attack and then your weapon gets disabled, and you're out of attack spells or something and your opponent has initiative next round. I mean, that doesn't happen often but it does happen sometimes, right?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »
You would have to be expecting the disarm, and have the weapon prepped... But I don't see why it wouldn't get rid of the disable. It would also be handy in case of a dissolve.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »
You would have to be expecting the disarm, and have the weapon prepped... But I don't see why it wouldn't get rid of the disable. It would also be handy in case of a dissolve.
This would work for the Disarm but not the Dissolve as there would be nothing to swap out during your next action or between Action phases for your  Quick Cast.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
You wouldn't be switching equipment in the case of Dissolve, you'd just be replacing the equipment that got destroyed.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster