May 14, 2024, 10:24:50 AM

Poll

Spitting Raptor vs Flaming Hellion

Spitting Raptor
26 (81.3%)
Flaming Hellion
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Poll: Spitting Raptor vs Flaming Hellion  (Read 11169 times)

Skra

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Poll: Spitting Raptor vs Flaming Hellion
« on: February 08, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »
For the sake of argument, please pretend that both of these spells are out of your school but not in an opposing school and that whichever one of these creatures you pick will cost 6 spell points.

Which would you rather have, a [mwcard=DNC16]Spitting Raptor[/mwcard] or a [mwcard=MW1C16]Flaming Hellion[/mwcard]? If you had to pick one of these creatures, which would you pick?
It'd be a lot cooler if you did...

Ophidimancer

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Spitting Raptor vs Flaming Hellion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
Spitting Raptor, corrodes do slightly less damage than burn, but not that much and they do double duty by reducing armor abs effectively buffing everyone else's damage too. That and you save two mana on the summoning.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »
Raptors in my experience survive longer. Also you always wanna vote for dinosaurs cause dinosaurs are awesome.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
Raptors! I love them :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »
none of those, both survive not so long, prefere hellion though

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
easy one. Raptors! Pierce and corrode <3 <3 <3 <3  8)
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:48:10 AM »
interessting thought: why is one time the melee the first attack, and the other time the range? :D

Karadox

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »
The Rapor prefer melee, therefore is his melee attack on the first place. ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
The Night is Dark and full of fright.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »
none of those, both survive not so long, prefere hellion though

+1.

Voted for Helion without great conviction.

Id rather have a Fireball and a Flameblast
or 3 Rust/Acid Balls in any combo.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:15:21 AM »
[mwcard=MW1C16]Flaming Hellion[/mwcard]  [mwcard=DNC16]Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]

On the first Look these two creatures are very similar. Both are Level 3, have the same Stats (9 Life, 2 Armor), roll the same attack dice. They are some kind of mix between Melee endurance (See Westlock Knight with more HP, more Armor, Defense) and Archer Ability (See Royal Archer with more Range and less Armor)
Thus they are taking a niche spot and are very versatile.

Now for the difference. The Raptor melee attacks with a Piercing +1 bonus. This gives your a garanteed Bonus on your attacks as long as you attack an armored target. If your target has no armor, you wont get anything. His ranged ability (without minimal range btw.) can be used to attack targets in the air and - more important -  reduce armor of a target on 5+ for 1 Corrode. So he would probably use his ranged attack to weaken a target for all your other attack sources, but after that - if the target has no more armor left - his own Piercing attack is weaker than before. In that situation both of his attacks are almost the same: 3 dice with direct corrode Damage on 5+ against 4 dice melee attack.
Your Raptor can become your Pet if you play the Straywood Beastmaster. That makes him very durable, but only buffs his melee strength ... and it seems there are better choices for the same mana, if you want a badass melee pet.

The Hellion on the other side costs 2 more mana to summon and comes into play with the important flame immunity trait, that makes him almost unkillable for Adramelech Warlock solo mages. Both of his attacks are fire based can cause severe burn damage (up to 2 burns), while the ranged attack has a slightly better chance of applying them (Akiros Favor is always a good thing with the Hellion). This means, that his attacks can be easily strengthened or weakened by several effects and items in the game (Smoldering Curses, Dragonscale Hauberk, Elemental Cloak). That being said, the Hellion can deal more damage to your enemies, if they aren't resistant to Fire damage. This hellish creature needs your assistance, so if you bring the Hellion into the battle, be sure to have ways to remove any Fire Resistance of the enemy or else you won't have fun with him.
Your Hellion can become your Blood Reaper, when playing he Arraxian Crown Warlock. This only pimps his melee attack strength (not his durability) and you might be hindered to use his ranged attack while under the influence of Bloodthirsty.

In the end the Raptor seems to be the more solid choice, because his ability to deal damage is not that dependent on other circumstances. The Hellion on the other side is the creature with the better damage spikes, both good and bad.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:01:30 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Ronor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 05:57:54 AM »
As it seems, that everyone is playing [mwcard=MW1Q06]Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard], I would prefer the raptor.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »
As it seems, that everyone is playing [mwcard=MW1Q06]Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard], I would prefer the raptor.

^^ This.

Hellion works as long as your opponent doesn't have more Hauberks than you have Dissolves/Explodes. 

Meanwhile, the Raptor has built-in Acid Ball, so he is anti-Armor tech.  Not quite at the level of Devouring Jelly, but pretty decent for Nature-school.  He's a team player, lowering armor for the benefit of your other creatures, while Hellion tries to do it himself.

Now if/when Chitin becomes the armor of choice, then maybe Hellion would be the better choice.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:51:24 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »
True, but I hope Chitin Armor never gets released.
In the current state of the game where defensive play and armor stacking is already an issue imho, it would totally ruin the game  8)
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »
In the current state of the game where defensive play and armor stacking is already an issue imho, it would totally ruin the game  8)

Chitin armor isn't that scary. There are many ways to deal with armor, acid just happens to be one of them.

Obviously, I prefer the hellion. They're both good options for different situations though
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »

Chitin armor isn't that scary. There are many ways to deal with armor, acid just happens to be one of them.

Obviously, I prefer the hellion. They're both good options for different situations though

agree with both!!
and finally two votes on the hellion