May 07, 2024, 10:38:52 AM

Author Topic: Academy: 1 VS 1 match!  (Read 5793 times)

ArcaneDuels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels - YouTube
Academy: 1 VS 1 match!
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
We have a new video up for some Academy play! Check it out, and let us know what you think!

— Episodes —

— Players —
  • Coshade | Sistarra Wizard
  • Intangible | Kelsar Grove Beastmaster
— About The Match —
  • Mode: Academy 1VS1
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:21:14 PM by ArcaneDuels »
Subscribe to us on YouTube to catch all of our videos!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: [New Video] Academy: 1 VS 1 match!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:18:03 PM »
That was fantastic guys. Glad you could employ the power of the "Pork Missile". He just puts so much pressure out there. One thing of note though, you can only include two Genies in your book. So he won't let you voltron up to +6, though +4 melee is rock solid.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:12:01 AM »
Are those playmats in the box? They look neat!  ;D

I was thinking maybe a personalised mat for each mage would be even more awesome.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 07:33:52 AM »
They said that guards can ignore pests, that they can keep their guard marker after being meleed by a pest. Apparently the wording for the codex entry for pest is different in Academy than Arena. Is that true?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
Thank you for posting this. It was interesting to get to see Academy in action. I'm looking forward to getting to play it once it comes out.

My feeling is that the Wizard needed to focus more on using stagger to lock down the Razortusk, not play the weapon until later, when he might actually use it with some consistency, and do more to defend his Lightning Raptor. In addition, Shrink would have really shut down that Razortusk for a few rounds. Badger Frenzy is a lot less exciting when it's 2-3 mana for 2 attack dice instead of 4 dice. I like the idea of a Giant Size on Lightning Raptor to discourage attacking him and make his attacks more relevant earlier, but it helps to reveal it.

On the Beastmaster side, I liked the use of Joined Strength and using Badger Frenzy to deal a ton of damage and end the game at the first opportunity. I'm not sure how good that will be against a good stalling Wizard that uses guards, Shrink, repeated stagger conditions, and maybe Exile to bog you down, but I'm looking forward to finding out. My main issue with Badger Frenzy in Academy is that there is only 1 creature I would actually want to use it on in Academy, and if my opponent locks that creature down (and they'll want to), it loses a lot of value.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:10:17 AM »
It's a different circumstance, but I've used Badger Frenzy on the Darkfenne Asp several times, and even on the Pellian Lynx a few times. I see your point though, the Razortusk is clearly the best choice. Just throwing it out there, that Badger Frenzy is hardly useless if you can't get it on the Tusk.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
I don't like the idea of using Badger Frenzy on the Asp because you're relying on the effect die working out in your favor, and I just don't think the chance of accomplishing anything is worth the cost. Emerald Tegu seems like a much better target than Darkfenne Asp in terms of creatures that can inflict conditions. I guess it would be okay on the Lynx, but it's hardly exciting there. Badger Frenzy is not useless without a Razortusk that's in good shape, but it loses a lot of it's value in Academy without the boar, and I'm not excited to play it on anything else in Academy. In Arena there are plenty of good targets.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »
Are those playmats in the box? They look neat!  ;D

I was thinking maybe a personalised mat for each mage would be even more awesome.

I'd like to quote my Belgian Colleague on this : does anybody know where these awesome playmats came from ? are they included in the academy set ?

BTW Halewijn : in which area of Belgium are you playing ? Are you already following the Mage Wars Belgium FB page ?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
Those playmats rock. They are like MTG mats in that they are sold separately. I think their goal with the Academy box was to make it as compact as possible
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
@sdougla2
Thanks for the feedback! That's exactly the kind of response we wanted. Your analysis on which cards usually are good in academy vs arena are ideas that people are going to think about for a long time to come.

As far as Badger Frenzy goes, I also like it on Tarraki. Some creatures have an annoying dodge that can cause them to stick around forever. 4 damage unavoidable can work out pretty well in your favor. Also, many creatures with Wolf Fury can benefit, they may not get the melee +1 twice but piercing remains.  :D
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
While those play mats are neat, I'd rather play Academy on one of the neoprene Arena play mats (ignoring the zone boundaries). 

Perhaps the next play mat should represent the Sistarran Academy.  It could be themed after Academy but compatible with Arena as well (e.g. 12 zones the same size as the other play mats).
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
I'll make sure to posts the books up later tonight. Would love to hear everyone's view on them.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »
I can already tell you Coshade that I love the Azurean Genie´s.  :P
If they get staggered then thy can still use their whish token to give either melee+2, heal 2 or stagger. If you or your opponent plays Akiro´s Game I think the Genie´s can really shine.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
BTW Halewijn : in which area of Belgium are you playing ? Are you already following the Mage Wars Belgium FB page ?

Ghent. Didn't know there was a belgian page.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
I really want one of these playmat!