May 15, 2024, 10:41:31 AM

Author Topic: League play in Madrid (Spain)  (Read 4571 times)

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
League play in Madrid (Spain)
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »
We'll be starting a league in Madrid by the end of the month. Every player who is eager to play in the league can find further information in the following thread (in Spanish):

http://www.juegodetronos.com/masalladelmuro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=961

Don't hesitate to sign up!
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: League play in Madrid (Spain)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »
I'm necro-ing this thread to post the results of the league, for anyone who cares about it (I am an enthusiast of these reports).

Regular season

Group A

1. Thamalon 4W (Wizard x3, Priest, opponent forfeited) -1L (Warlock)
2. Tarkin 4W (Wizard x3, Necromancer) - 1L (Warlord)
3. Noa 3W (Beastmaster, Water Wizard x2) - 2L (Beastmaster x2)
4. Bombur 2W (Forcemaster x2) - 3L (Forcemaster x3)
5. Ruben 1W (Jokhtari Beastmaster) - 3L (Jokhtari Beastmaster x2, forfeited)
6. Didac 0W - 4L (Warlock)

Group B

1. Servasky 5W (Warlock) - 0L
2. DavidDAVE 4W (Wizard x4) - 1L (Wizard)
3. Mr Potato 3W (Warlord x2, Forcemaster) - 2L (Warlord)
4. R480 2W (Warlord) - 3L (Warlord)
5. Cejas 1W (Wizard) - 3L (Wizard x3)
6. Mir 0W - 4L (Beastmaster x3, Wizard)

Playoffs

Tarkin (Druid) won over Mr Potato (Forcemaster)
Bombur (Forcemaster) won over Servasky (Warlock)
DavidDAVE (Wizard) won over Noa (Wizard)
Thamalon (Wizard) won over R480 (Warlord)

Tarkin (Priestess) won over Bombur (Forcemaster)
Thamalon (Wizard) won over DavidDAVE (Wizard)

Tarkin (Priestess) won over Thamalon (Forcemaster)

I hope that we'll start another one soon!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
Congrats Tarkin! Glad to hear about the league's success.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:17:44 AM »
Congrats, Tarkin. Your Madrid meta is important because I suspect it's a strong competitive meta.
Care to post your Priestess book here?
I haven't played her in ages and I'm interested to see what a good Priestess build looks like these days?
No problem if you would rather keep your secrets to yourself!
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:54:37 AM »
Good to see a strong group going in Madrid. Congratulations on your victory Tarkin. May you have many more my friend!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:15:09 AM »
Thank you guys!

Sure, Deck, I have no problem to post my Priestess deck. I'll do it this afternoon when I arrive home from work. I geared towards a double spawnpoint opening with Battle forge and Temple of Asyra, using Meditation amulet to fuel my mana supply (I really had nothing better to do with my mage most of the time).

Our average player is still learning the game, so I wouldn't call our meta 'strong competitive' yet. There are people who are very competitive like my opponent in the final game who played a double grizzly FM, Shadowblade who can be found on OCTGN, and myself (I really love the game, to such an extent that I am slowly giving up Game of Thrones where I met all these guys), but there's a lot of work to be done. I hope that in the next league we'll be ~16 players between newcomers and people who won't repeat due to being too busy. It won't be fully competitive yet, but I'm working hard in my blog and in-game to try to increase the level of our community.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »
I play AGOT too! Are you guys the famous "Madrid Meta" in AGOT? If so, I assume have you gone to Stahleck?
I have to say that after Kingsguard Cycle blew away many of the old cards, I think the power creep was too steep.
I think FFG have made a big mistake with Agendas like Noble Cause that aren't fun and too many good neutrals.

Arcane Wonders should learn from the mistakes FFG made with AGOT, the longest running LCG out there.
(1) a tiny bit of power creep is inevitable, players buy new stuff to power game as well as explore new cards
(2) however, the trick is to make the creep as tiny as possible but still noticeable (so all books improve slightly)
(3) there will always be dominant and weaker factions but it should change each set and never just 1 dominant
(4) it's perfectly fine to ban and errata cards until the meta can cope with them when you remove them from list
(5) making strategies that are too fast win-or-lose (Noble Cause) or denies playing (Greyjoy choke) are not fun
(6) there needs to be "Core + last X expansions" Tournament spell book restriction (like Standard in Magic) else cost to enter the game at a competitive level will be too high (players are still free to play Legacy all expansions or even promos casually)

I think the most exciting thing about Mage Wars is being there basically at the beginning and the hobby being so small that what you post here is actually listened to and acted on (if a bit slowly). They are so cautious but it is inevitable that mistakes will be made. The current cards will be looked at like Magic Alpha and Beta cards that were plain broken (especially card draw, free turns & free mana acceleration). It does show immense pride in their product that they are afraid to attempt ambitious concepts without thorough playtesting. But then they fail to spot the bleeding obvious (e.g. DvN will totally devalue pierce/bleed and further promote Kill The King focus).

I look forward to your double-spawnpoint Priestess build. I'm surprised it survived aggro 2 Grizzly FM book - unless you changed tempo?

I need to post a new book to try to regain my tattered rep. But I've been so busy playtesting with new cards, interacting with the co-designer and other playtesters, that I've just had no time to actually study the game as it is. I was a bit dismayed at Earth Wizard coming last in a recent tournament so I might just post an update to Golem Pit (changed a lot) to at least ensure Earth Wizard's reputation is not dented any further. Alternatively, I was intrigued by a recent post asking "how does a Solo FM beat a Druid without resorting to Fire?". I'm not an expert with either but it's got me thinking... I really need to post something constructive on the public forums soon.

Yes, please post your Priestess in the Spellbook section. I think Holy is a good meta choice with the dominance of Nonliving currently.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:44:10 AM by DeckBuilder »

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »
I play AGOT too! Are you guys the famous "Madrid Meta" in AGOT? have you gone to Stahleck?
I have to say that after Kingsguard Cycle blew many of the old cards, I think the power creep was too steep.
I think FFG have made a big mistake with Agendas like Noble Cause that aren't fun and too many good neutrals.

I guess I am, indeed, part of that 'famous' Madrid meta: Thamalon, Aioria, Shadowblade, Stukov and so on. I've been to Stahleck last two years, ending in top 8 in 2012 with a Stark KoW direwolves deck and being the 2013 champion with a Bara KotHH heavy recursion build :D

Sorry for the off-topic. Back to Mage Wars.

You bring up very good points about  power creep and tournament formats. I completely agree with you and hope AW takes note about these issues that are becoming annoying to many GoT players. However, I have a totally different feeling about how AW and FFG listen to their fans. I love how AW guys are always aware of what their community thinks about the state of the game. In GoT I've rarely had that feeling (nonetheless, I once wrote an email to them about a friend's combo deck which caused a NPE to many players and it was nerfed immediately). Keep this hard work, please! ;)

I'll post my list in a minute.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
When you mentioned AGOT, I thought you might be same "Tarkin, the most vile and treacherous of allies" described here!

http://www.rocacasterly.com/index.php/casterlyrock/treachery-and-stags-in-stahleck

Congrats, Tarkin! To have such an expert in a far more mature game play Mage Wars is a compliment to the game.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »
Thank you, man! The compliment is for Mage Wars, which is now, by far, my favourite card game ever. ;)