May 19, 2024, 11:28:17 PM

Author Topic: Meditation Graveyard (Gen-Con 2016)  (Read 15118 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Meditation Graveyard (Gen-Con 2016)
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 11:57:59 AM »
It seems to that this book is far less complex than the previous 2 gen con winners. But that's OK, simple doesn't bad!

This "simple" book is in reality a "highly efficient" book.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:17:04 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
Right sorry. The book seems to be extremely effective.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »
It seems to that this book is far less complex than the previous 2 gen con winners. But that's OK, simple doesn't bad!

Don't confuse "effective" with "simple".

I'm sure he doesn't. ;) It's a very good, perfected book but I agree with him that it is simple/straightforward.

Hamza's book was something we had not seen a lot before with all the jinx and the aviary was also something very unexpected. This does not at all mean that Biblofilter's win is "worth less" or anything.   :P
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »
This looks like a very well built and effective spellbook, Biblofilter, and the results clearly proved it.
Great job.

Some of my questions were already answered above but I am still interested to hear

1- what was the role of the lone Flameblast ?

2- You explained the inclusion of the Blood Demon already.
My first thought was he might have been added to give you an advantage in a Necro vs Necro matchup. ( Bloodthirsty getting around any Undead Guards ... )

Of course the Demon having Flying and thus be visible to your Necromancer from behind his Walls also leaves some nice tricks to be explored. ( Enchantment Transfusion )

btw great to hear you took that "2-walls-minimum" to heart :) Walls are so underrated and so effective if timed well. Imo there's a moment in nearly every game where a wall is the best card to play.

3- Why 2 Magebane's and just 1 Marked for Death ?
I could see the book be even more efficient if it were the other way around.

4- Two more cards that could be really helpful for this book imo : Eagleclaw Boots and Astral Anchor.
Were there games where they tried to push/teleport you away from your defensive position and if yes, how did you solve it ?

5- Was the inclusion of a Zombie Brute an option at one point ?

Overall, nice to see MW is alive and kicking with a Necromancer, Druid, Forcemaster and Warlock in the final 4.

1. Flameblast was there as antiflyer, mostly for Fellella and Huginn + really nice vs Druid. Still a pretty decent attack spell, more uses than Hurl Rock.

2. Graveyard, Skeletons with Reassembly Wand, Drain Life rather and no Ghoul Rot/Drain Soul was supposed to
give me an edge on the Necro vs. Necro. I was mainly concerned about Necro, Priestess, Druid, Wizard in that order which did not leave room for Poison Gas Cloud (my normal Falcon counter) Blood Demon was there as Falcon fighter (stops the charge bonus) and as enchantment carrier and good with the walls i planned to play.

3. Magebane is an old favorite of mine, i agree 2 Marked for Death would have been better. Opponent Mage is often out of range, so Marked for Death should be more usefull. Actually Marked for Death+Call of the Wild might go into a couple of BM (Druid) books.

4. Eagle Claw Boots would be really good. Not so sure about the Astral Anchor - its another Teleport or Hurl Boulder. Would even love another Cloak of Shadows. One thing i missed was a cheap leather piece - sometimes early i had to worry a lot about WoT pushes and didnt really want to/have to use 6 mana for armor.

5. There was 2 Zombie Brutes in there from the beginning - i only took those out at the latest hour. 1 for a Skeleton Knight (better Necro vs. Necro) and the second one i traded for a Blood Demon. I think Brutes are much better than the Blood Demon, but he had an important role to play (and did). Might even change an Arcane Corruption for a Ghoul Rot now that's hes in there.

Just a sidenote i think the Straywood Aviary is a very simple book as well. Clear and straightforward plan. I would change those Timber Wolfs for attack spells. German Priestess/Druid are pretty straightforward as well - Dudes/Armor up/Boulder em.

Anyone with a book like that would have had a shot a the title.

All my opponents did have a shot. Watch out for that young FM guy. Zot - hes my favorite for the next Gen-Con. Larrick might be back with a Warlock (overextend, ballad of courage, Red Knights etc) and as fearful i am of Sharkbaits little hot looking flame Girl, Siren Sharknado might even more scary.

Yes i did get Teleported, Force Pushed, WoT Force Push but in most games i put on Cloak of Shadows real early and often put an Enfeeble on the opponent Mage, then a wall.

Wall of Bones was pretty much the most usefull spell in my whole spellbook. Happy that i kept 3, as i was tempted to go down to 2.

Anyway just let me say thank you to everyone! You have been amazing!

Hope to be back to USA soon (Mace?) but i might have to work a bit before i can go again, and then there's Germany.. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
Just a sidenote i think the Straywood Aviary is a very simple book as well. Clear and straightforward plan. I would change those Timber Wolfs for attack spells. German Priestess/Druid are pretty straightforward as well - Dudes/Armor up/Boulder em.

I agree, but since no one was expecting it then, it was suprising to see a deck like that.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Congratulations!
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
If you're worried about a wot, use brace. That way, even if they rusted you, you still have armor.
The Phoenix shall rise.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 01:34:33 PM »

This "simple" book is in reality a "highly efficient" book.
They can be the same thing. As demonstrated by this book.
The Phoenix shall rise.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »
i have gone back and forth between the blood demon and the vampiress in my necro books.  I usually pick the vampiress because she is just better all around but im curious as to why you chose the blood demon.  Less mana, less sbps, not having to pay 1 for flying?
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
i have gone back and forth between the blood demon and the vampiress in my necro books.  I usually pick the vampiress because she is just better all around but im curious as to why you chose the blood demon.  Less mana, less sbps, not having to pay 1 for flying?

The best reason is that the Blood Demon hinders flyers in his zone.

So in the event of a falcon swarm they cannot move out and back into a zone while the Demon is there.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
The Blood Demon can also have a host of curses put on him that can later be Enchantment Transfusioned off.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 09:09:01 PM »
The Blood Demon can also have a host of curses put on him that can later be Enchantment Transfusioned off.

do you mean curses that would not affect the vampiress or could not be later transfused off?  I think I am misunderstanding :/

So in the event of a falcon swarm they cannot move out and back into a zone while the Demon is there.

And yes, the inherent flying is a big deal!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:11:08 PM by drmambo23 »
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

do you mean curses that would not affect the vampiress or could not be later transfused off?  I think I am misunderstanding :/

And yes, the inherent flying is a big deal!

The Blood Demon is always flying so the Necromancer can always see him to put curses on him. Yes stuff like Poison Blood can go on a Vampire but you have to spend mana to get her to fly and that can be an issue with walls. The demon can also generally move unhindered across the board to drop off the curses on the enemy mage.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 08:27:02 AM »
I am looking and looking at that spellbook, still trying to figure it out.

More questions

1- Skeletal minions - were there as a shield, fill-in-action when you were low on mana, on offense...?
2- Drain Life - was casted? Was that your finishing tool?
3- 1 meditation amulet. Were you counting on that it will not be dissolved? That players will not see it as a threat like they would if you were holding Sectarus, Flame Whip etc.? (I know they are mage restricted, just wanted make a point :) )
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
My first match was vs. a Priestess

First Round.
She started with Knight of Westlock and Elemental Wand.

I with Meditation Amulet and Graveyard in the usual square.

Second Round.

Knight of Westlock
Enchantment

G: Skeletal Minion -> Eternal Servant
Meditate (puts me at 11 mana)
Idol of Pestilence.

Third round for me was Deathfang, Meditate, Cloak of Shadows.

I cant remember the match exactly but what happened was that my Eternal Servant was hitting his guarding Knight of Westlock, with him not killing it with the counterstrike (like 3 times). Basically a Skeletal Minion, a Deathfang and a Skeletal Sentry killed a Knight, while he killed a Minion and a Sentry - but I got the minion back.

She managed to get a Knight down in my zone (with agony) and hit the idol once + boulder it once.
In that round I hit the unarmored Priestess for 3 p+1, 3 p+1, 3 (the other minion)
I then guarded with the newly summoned Sentry in idol/Necro zone.

Round after I summoned another creature and put up a wall so he could not boulder me or the idol - I think it was pretty much curtains at this point, even if the priestess put up a good fight.

60 minutes or something like that.

All the other matches should be on video - soon :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
Thank you for your time :)

Looking forward to videos :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )