May 16, 2024, 06:51:24 AM

Author Topic: Arcane Duels - The Beggar's Throne Warlord vs. The Beastslinger  (Read 21352 times)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Hey guys!

We got a new video for you! Intangible tries his new mage building concept with his Beggar's Throne Warlord. If you watched the Beastlinger episode, I thought I would show you how it is in game play. We will have spell books posted later today! Hope you enjoy the show!

Here's a link to the video!
Part 1 ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhx6sPH850
Part 2 ----->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N5SHKzTdvg
Part 3 ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0B1vgWc0V4
Part 4 ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jLSoGT5AY

As always let me know what you guys think :D I am always looking for ways to improve the videos and my game play.

Spellbooks! *This is the current Beastslinger. It may not be exactly the one I used in the episode but it is new and improved!*

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]3 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a09]2 x  Jet Stream[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J01]4 x  Rajan's Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]2 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c08]4 x  Darkfenne Bat[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c37]6 x  Thunderift Falcon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c14]4 x  Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e17]1 x  Force Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e07]1 x  Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]2 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x  Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q04]1 x  Deflection Bracers[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]4 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i03]2 x  Call of the Wild[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]3 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]6 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]2 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i15]2 x  Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:49:19 AM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Duels - The Beggar's Throne Warlord vs. The Beastslinger
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
I wonder, why Intangible is not guarding with the Dwarf Panzerguard at the end of part 1. He did everything allright to counter the Beastmaster's strategy. Ok, maybe he should have positioned his Warlord in the same zone as the forge to use the Panzerguard more effectively.
I miss a runed Elemental Wand with Hurl Rock and a Mage Wand protected by Armor Ward to get rid of the Flyers as fast as they spawn.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »
I wonder, why Intangible is not guarding with the Dwarf Panzerguard at the end of part 1. He did everything allright to counter the Beastmaster's strategy. Ok, maybe he should have positioned his Warlord in the same zone as the forge to use the Panzerguard more effectively.
I miss a runed Elemental Wand with Hurl Rock and a Mage Wand protected by Armor Ward to get rid of the Flyers as fast as they spawn.

He has initiative next round, doesn't he? Could be planning to guard then.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
Maybe ... but 3 dice on the Mage is not worth it. He has to deal with the birdies. He should guard to take the guard token to the next round. After getting attacked, he could guard again.

This Beastmaster Strategy will be even more countered by a Mage, that can attack Air Creatures by itself (Wizard's Zap) or the Priestress, that uses multiple Guards in combination with Heal Spells.
Also Spells like Reverse Attack or Jinx (against Rouse the Beast) can ruin the Beastmasters day too, because the action advantage with the forge will kick in very fast.

That's why i don't understand the fascination for Decks like Straywood Aviary. It's countered so easily and would never win a tournament with really good players.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:43:36 PM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »
That's why i don't understand the fascination for Decks like Straywood Aviary. It's countered so easily and would never win a tournament with really good players.

It did though... won GenCon. Sure, not every single great player can make it to something like that but saying it would never win a tourny with good players is simply not true since it already did.

Beat Blasted Banker, Coshade's Air Wiz, etc... Yes, part of the reason it had so much success is because nobody really expected it (now they do), but that shouldn't take anything away from the spellbook. Alexander West did a fantastic job of reading the meta and seeing it was full of Wizards, building a spellbook that countered that meta, and implementing it very well during the matches!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »

Beastmaster is still one of my favorite mages. Winning isn't everything i guess. But he's fast and aggressive, just like the Rushmaster we saw in an earlier episode (and of course the Straywood Aviary), and that can kill mages pretty fast. (even if it might be countered easily)

Back to the actually episode @Coshade: The Bat seems a worse option than just another Falcon?. Even a Bitterwood Fox or a Feral Bobcat are both something to consider as they can hide behind a Wall of Thorns - and that reminds me of another small issue - your Mage have NO ARMOR? :)

Anyway thanks for posting again!
I'm looking forward to the next episode.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 08:21:03 AM »
It did though... won GenCon. Sure, not every single great player can make it to something like that but saying it would never win a tourny with good players is simply not true since it already did.

Beat Blasted Banker...

Yeah, and that's exactly the problem. A lot of players look in the forums, see a deck, that is submitted as a good deck, copy and then play with it, without understanding why it can be effective and how it should be played. And even if they do understand it, they stick to the proposed game plan while not reacting in the right way to the enemy threat.

Maybe I expressed myself in a wrong way in the last post. I just wanted to say: Copying a spellbook from another person (Like Blasted Banker f.e.) does not make you a good player. And beating this player with the Straywood Aviary is not saying anything about the Straywood Aviary at all.
But let us stop here with the discussion, because we should talk about Arcane Duels. I want to see the next paaart! :)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
@ Schwenkgott - I think something important to keep in mind is that this is not the Strwaywood Aviary. The differences are that this build goes for a fast timing push with high damage creatures, while the Aviary focuses on Lair tech and flying damage over time. I think this build works out because if they choose to waste the mana (and action) hurling a rock at a bird, then I got a free 6-8 dice attack on them. If they don't kill it then it gets super value! The Aviary also used level 2 animals, where that would not work in this build. I also don't have cards to keep my creatures alive (sorry I'll post the book soon). The name of the game with this is cheap powerful attack spells.

You're absolutely right about net decking. I hope it allows players to walk a paved road to catch up to the current skill level in the meta. It probably doesn't help with spellbook creation though. That's just as important of a skill as playing the actual deck.

BTW thanks for helping with this book, your advice has really helped me flesh it out.

@LordOfWinter - I think you're absolutely right! He had a competitive book that he used to outplay his opponent. His book isn't what won the tourny though, it was his skill  8)

@Biblofilter - Since it's still early game I want to try to get as many rots as I can off. This would make him focus more on dealing with rots while I get more damage. The Falcons are my main creature (it's far superior to all the other level 1 animals IMO). I don't use the Fox because I can't combo with Redclaw, but the Bobcat is an awesome annoying card that people hate dealing with.

I dont need no stickin armor! I'm pretty sure my Beastmaster just likes running out naked with all his animals. In seriousness though, I do need armor. My strategy is to put the enemey on the back foot and keep rushing him (once I get 2-3 creatures I tend to start buffing myself). He can try to focus on me but my damage output is higher. It's risky, but that's what this build is about!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »
Hey guys!

We got a new video for you! Intangible tries his new mage building concept with his Beggar's Throne Warlord. If you watched the Beastlinger episode, I thought I would show you how it is in game play. We will have spell books posted later today! Hope you enjoy the show!

Here's a link to the video!
Part 1 ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhx6sPH850
*NEW* Part 2 ----->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N5SHKzTdvg

As always let me know what you guys think :D I am always looking for ways to improve the videos and my game play.

You guys are great!  Love the new look and editing, well done!  Keep up the great work.
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »
You guys are great!  Love the new look and editing, well done!  Keep up the great work.

Glad you like it! We were getting a little worried since no one's commented on the editing. We were afraid no one even noticed lol.

Also, fellow mages, we've put Part 2 and 3 up on the Tubes.

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N5SHKzTdvg

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0B1vgWc0V4
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »
Amazing stuff. The new editing is perfect. It is easy to follow the game. Keep it rolling.

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 01:58:20 PM »
Great videos guys,

You keep a quick pace, so we're always focused. I like how Intangible stops sometimes and explains what he thinks is happening and what are the current issues at hand. The new editing: grrrrrreat! Even when you guys lose audio, we don't miss any of the action.

@ Coshade, you are using the flying and fast traits of your birds very efficiently. Only a flying fast creature can go and come back to the same square to use its charge ability. I really liked this move.  Your birds are simply amazing. You wanted your birds to be your shield, it's working. You are making sure that all these hurl Boulders don't go to your face and thus avoiding a lot of damage. Great strategy.

@ Intangible, I'm not sure I see how your mana curve strategy is working... It seems to me that you never have more than 11-12 mana... Of course, I didn't see the whole thing yet. Also, the move action where your Warlord moves and Force Pushes his guard with him: Smart!  What was the issue there? What did you guys debate about?

Question: given the high armour of the Warlord and his guard, wouldn't be wiser to replace at least one Rajan's Fury with a Tooth & Nail?  I feel that, in this situation, getting some piercing is better than gaining extra dice. Of course, the debate between extra melee and extra piercing can go forever.

@Schwenkgott: I think it was the best move for the Panzerguard to hit the Beastmaster when he did. With no armor at all, 3 dice at a time can be pretty devastating if you don't take care of that quickly. 3 dice = 3 damage on average = about 8% of total Beastmaster's life. In other words, keep it coming and with about 10 more hits like that, you kill the Beastmaster.

Thanks guys!

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
Great videos :) i liked that you've added graphical representation of mana/life etc.
I have plan to do some video for quite long time, i made one try with my friend, but battery went down during the game :P i was also planning to add actual status of mana and life/damage. i'm familiar with that stuff, but of course as one of You said it takes time :)
i think the most problem we had (except battery) was placing camera (i have GoPro 3+) in good position, to be just on top of the board. Finally we tied it to the wordrobe, but it wasn't that good, and also we need better light so quality of the movie will be better. So once again congratulations, because i know problems you could face of.

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »
Really fun set of episodes guys!  Glad to see you guys back in full swing... literally!
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
@ Intangible, I'm not sure I see how your mana curve strategy is working... It seems to me that you never have more than 11-12 mana... Of course, I didn't see the whole thing yet. Also, the move action where your Warlord moves and Force Pushes his guard with him: Smart!  What was the issue there? What did you guys debate about?
Thanks guys!

Well... I felt the same way after the match. It allowed me to play the cards I wanted, however the Beastslinger is extremely aggressive and a lot of my cards weren't as effective against flying creatures. In short it didn't do what I wanted it to but this was my first try at making the Beggar's Throne (I call the concept of creating the curve Financing). I'll have to work on it and get people's opinions. But hey, you gotta fail sometimes to succeed :-)
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster