May 16, 2024, 12:30:48 PM

Author Topic: Miniatures Survey  (Read 19397 times)

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
Miniatures Survey
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
Hello everyone,

As you may know, we have been researching a project this year to make miniatures, of our Mages, for Mage Wars.  Our goal is to provide high quality miniatures that players can collect and/or use in place of their Mage card in the game, to represent their Mage in the Arena.

The miniatures business is filled with option, and as such, we want to go straight to the source, and ask for your feedback on what you would like to see to make this the most amazing project ever!

As such, we have created a short online survey for you to let us know your opinions and preferences when it comes to making Minis for Mage Wars.

Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZYR2XHP

In addition, we will close the survey on December 12th and select two random responders to receive a copy of Forged in Fire!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to let us know your thoughts!  We have an amazing community and we look forward to hearing your ideas!

Scott
VP Business Development
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Miniatures Survey
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
Will they be prepainted? Will players paint their own? Or both?

Similarly, are there any plans for at least partially fan-made mage art cards? Like say, if Arcane Wonders created generic uncolored mage art templates for each mage class on cards, and then fans buy the cards, color them in and personalize the drawings as they like?

That way fans can be creative and make their mage truly unique, but without the risk of someone playing a mage with really crappy artwork in an event setting.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
you obviously didn't take the survey.....
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
Now I did, sorry. :-[
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
This has got me thinking that I could go through some of my old minis for other games and make some for creatures too.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
They better be painted. I won't buy them if they are not. I don't want to paint and I dislike to play with unpainted stuff.

Also single packaged is the best because it allow to buy the mages I need instead to have the dilema of: "Do I want to pay for 2/4 mages minis when I will only use 1?"

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »
Selling them individually will make them more expensive, do to the packaging and shipping costs.

I think the correct thing to do would be as the main option, a Core set of Figures, and then in packages of 2 for each of the expansions.

and definitely painted as the character on the card.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
Selling them individually will make them more expensive, do to the packaging and shipping costs.

I think the correct thing to do would be as the main option, a Core set of Figures, and then in packages of 2 for each of the expansions.

and definitely painted as the character on the card.
I would love to see Earth/Water/Fire Wizards too......
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
I suggested a Beastmasters pack, a Warlocks pack, etc.
Also, there was some talk at one point about dialdown life counters. Might be cool if the mini fit in the center of the disk, or something.

Also, I can't stand painting things that small, and 30mm is much cheeper than 40mm, in my experience.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »
30MM = 1 3/16 vs 40mm = 1 9/16

I would prefer the bigger Miniatures.

And as for the spin-down, life counters, Reaper made some of those many years ago. Some of them are worth quite a bit of money now.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »
It's a question of volume, not just height. A larger base means a taller, wider, and deeper mini, so materials costs go up at the cubic power of base size. Not only that, but depending on the material and casting method, thicker areas can require different handling than thinner areas, to prevent cracking.

On the other hand, 30mm minis have to have smaller fidly bits to look detailed, and small fidly bits can be very hard to cast.

I want a "do whatever's cheapest" option for size. 
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
i've voted for bigger size, because it will just look better. i think not everybody will buy it but rather people who really are deep into Mage Wars and/or don't  have problems to spend money for sth. unnecessary. That's why i think "the bigger are better" :) I've also think  that they can be unpainted so it will allow more customization, but if they will be painted it is also cool.

If we are talking about packing them , i'm standing for same packages as sets (4+2+2) or  each mage separate, so everybody can choose exactly which mage he wants and how many :P (but it seems to be more expensive to buy).

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »
I really have no interest in painting them.

if they come unpainted that would be more reason for me to not buy them. or I would have to find someone who is really good at painting miniatures and pay them a buttload of money to paint them.

sticker

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »
I mentioned I wasn't sure I'd buy this. Having played minis before, between expense, storage space and the rest of the board being cards, I am content without them.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 10:32:56 PM »
Yeah - I will probably give this a pass, for the sake of simplicity/portability. Granted, I don't even use the board or the action/quickcast markers, so my take on this product is likely in the minority.