May 16, 2024, 01:15:22 PM

Author Topic: New Mage Wars Promos available.  (Read 20124 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: New Mage Wars Promos available.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
I feel your pain. I really want them too, but I'll be patient and wait for them to come out later so I don't have to pay such high prices.

Although, the $12 for the 8 cards isn't THAT bad. They aren't as cool (imo) as the other 8 from Kickstarter though.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
I understand what you're saying. I'm not really quitting playing, it's just irritating that it seems like on promos the designers go nuts and come up with something REALLY cool, even cooler than the already pretty cool regular MW cards. Seeing those cards triggers my collector lust, I MUST HAVE THEM!
OK, I'm all better now.

In the context of the Dicetower, if you look at just the card price for Promo's yes they are expensive. However the intent behind these two sets is to help The Dicetower fund its operations, so paying $1.50 per card is to help Tom make his videos not put money in AW's pocket. This is good for Mage Wars as his bull horn is quite loud and reaches many gaming geeks. The two sets are separate one is a Kickstarter tier and the other is purely for The Dicetower funding purposes.

Promo's are not tourney legal and most games IRL and on OCTGN either permit them or block them. I have played both ways. The net is that they are not needed to play the game and give a peek into the future to what the design team is thinking.

So if you do buy them (out of lust or not) it is for a good cause, not some greedy ebayier....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
Another look into the minds of the design team  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 12:59:59 AM »
I'm really disappointed that the Lightning Beetle and Death's Head Scorpion aren't considered Animals (same problem with Wolf-Spider). They're in the kingdom Animalia in real life... Why does the game not consider insects to be animals? It really hurts the J. Beastmaster, because it limits her creature choices if she wants to use Wounded Prey.

On a slightly related note, I am also mildly disappointed that Heart of Gravikor is War Mage Only. I know it's meant to beef up the Warlord, but it would be AMAZING on the J. Beastmaster; one-handed ranged weapon with a quick melee attack on it, perfectly meshing with all of her card abilities. I hope we get more one-handed ranged weapons in the future, hopefully ones that aren't mage-specific (3-die base is fine with me if I get to hold two things).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:04:16 AM by Aylin »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 03:44:29 AM »
The cool thing about promos I just found out is when you're playing a friendly game and your opponent pulls one out I tend to go "Oh neat something I didn't expect that's really cool!" Yeah we'll get them in future sets but until then they mix up the local gaming group in my area. I like being kept on my toes as it keeps me interested.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
The cool thing about promos I just found out is when you're playing a friendly game and your opponent pulls one out I tend to go "Oh neat something I didn't expect that's really cool!" Yeah we'll get them in future sets but until then they mix up the local gaming group in my area. I like being kept on my toes as it keeps me interested.
As long as you can proxy the card yourself, they are lots of fun. If it is a case of you have and they don't or vise versa they are not...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »
As long as you can proxy the card yourself, they are lots of fun. If it is a case of you have and they don't or vise versa they are not...

For me personally I don't really care if I can proxy it. There are no high stake Mage Wars tournaments like with Magic or Hero Clix. There's nothing on the line in a match. I just got into this game last month with a group of friends and lose more than I win but I'm still having a blast. It isn't worth getting upset over.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
Those promo cards look awesome! I'm interested in the Pharoah's cheetah card. Are we going to have an ancient egyptian themed nation of etheria?

Also, just because they aren't that high stakes doesn't mean that we should give some people an unfair advantage in official events. And there are still awesome prizes, even if those prizes aren't tons of money. I personally think it's better that way, since IMO having really high monetary stakes increases the chances of cheating and bad sportsmanship. And I just thought of an AMAZING prize system so i'll go post it now.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
I agree in that not having high monetary value prizes is cool, one of the things I enjoy about the game.

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 03:17:30 AM »

Unless I am mistaken, all promos will be released in future sets. So everybody will be able to get these cards in the future in normal sets. People just buy the promos in order to have them early.

Secondly, most play groups have house rules that do not allow the use of promos because they give advantages to people who buy them and nobody else. Tournaments also have a no promo rule.

This.

G.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 02:14:50 AM »
Heart of Gravikor = Mjolnir XD

Maybe soon we have the shield of Captain America  XD
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:20:35 AM by isel »

klaymen

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 06:46:05 AM »
But he will be called Captain Etheria. :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »
Those promo cards look awesome! I'm interested in the Pharoah's cheetah card. Are we going to have an ancient egyptian themed nation of etheria?

Actually, there is. We have whole world to explore and to unveil to our players, and one of the area's I'm most excited about is Dsjer-Tet. Now, there is no time frame on when they'll be released, but this is one of the exciting areas of our world that's going to be featured in the future!

lettucemode

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »

Actually, there is. We have whole world to explore and to unveil to our players, and one of the area's I'm most excited about is Dsjer-Tet. Now, there is no time frame on when they'll be released, but this is one of the exciting areas of our world that's going to be featured in the future!

Egyptian theme, new Wind attacks, the Sandstorm promo...I think this hints at a Earth/Wind mage. Probably the Illusionist? Goes well with the concept of mirages in the desert.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »
Egyptian theme, new Wind attacks, the Sandstorm promo...I think this hints at a Earth/Wind mage. Probably the Illusionist? Goes well with the concept of mirages in the desert.

There is more than one desert nation in Etheria.  ;D