May 16, 2024, 10:48:09 AM

Author Topic: New Mage Wars Promos available.  (Read 20123 times)

tomvasel

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
New Mage Wars Promos available.
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: New Mage Wars Promos available.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
Looking awesome!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
Some of the new cards look awesome. Heart of Gravikor is going to completely replace the Warhammer once it's released in Warlord books. I really like the holy damage barrier as well. The Sweeping Acid attack looks awesome (level 1 for Druid!), and the Chitin Armor will be great once it comes out (level 1 Nature as well...hello alternate Druid Armor).

I'm not really impressed by the Flame and Lightning strikes though. I think it most cases it would be better to just cast Flame Blast or Arc Lightning instead of using one of these. I think the Pharoah's Cheetah might be too awkward to use most of the time, since it'll need Mongoose Agility and at least two enemy creatures 2 zones away to get its full attack.

The Gale Force Ring could be cool, but I think we'd need a lot more Wind attacks before it'll make any impact on the meta. Dragon's Breath looks cool as well, but due to the cost and positioning requirements I can't see any mages other than Warlock or Fire Wizard take it, and even then only one of them.

lettucemode

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »
Images!

$62 to the kickstarter will get you all the cards.

You can get 8 of these cards with a $50 pledge to the kickstarter, they are included in Promo Pack A. The other 8 you can get with a simple $12 donation which is not through kickstarter. See tomvasel's link above for more info.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:23:36 AM by lettucemode »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
Really digging the Wall of Poison Gas and Gloves of Skill. Those are nice. Bloddthirsty Strike is also cool.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

MageMuse

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »
Love Dragon's Breathe.  Can deal with the full action with a 0-3 range and the ability to hit 2 targets in seperate zones.

Wall of poisen gas looks pretty wicked, especially, for the Necromancer.

Lightning beetle looks awesome! Has 4 armor, -2 Lightning, Melee and Ranged Lightning attack, plus it's psychic immune?  The Lightning and flame strike cards could be a way of getting around elemental resistances.  An Arc Lightning can give you lightning damage, but just imagine Steelclaw with Lightning Strike versus Brogan (Ok piercing strike could probably be better unless you score a stun).  Maybe change a sweeping attack to the lightning effect to daze and stun multiple targets.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:19:44 PM by MageMuse »

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
Love Dragon's Breathe.  Can deal with the full action with a 0-3 range and the ability to hit 2 targets in seperate zones.

Lightning beetle looks awesome! Has 4 armor, -2 Lightning, Melee and Ranged Lightning attack, plus it's psychic immune?  The Lightning and flame strike cards could be a way of getting around elemental resistances.  An Arc Lightning can give you lightning damage, but just imagine Steelclaw with Lightning Strike versus Brogan (Ok piercing strike could probably be better unless you score a stun).  Maybe change a sweeping attack to the lightning effect to daze and stun multiple targets.

It says next melee attack on the card, so it would only apply to the first attack in a Sweeping or Multistrike attack sequence.

tomvasel

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
To clarify, $62 to the Kickstarter will NOT get you all of them.  You can get one with the Kickstarter in a promo pack, or you can get the other one NOW for $12 a pop.  One is ON Kickstarter, the other is off.  Sorry about the confusion.

MageMuse

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »

It says next melee attack on the card, so it would only apply to the first attack in a Sweeping or Multistrike attack sequence.

Whoops, had a brainfart.  I forget that sweeping is essentially a multistrike just spread out among targets.

lettucemode

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »
To clarify, $62 to the Kickstarter will NOT get you all of them.  You can get one with the Kickstarter in a promo pack, or you can get the other one NOW for $12 a pop.  One is ON Kickstarter, the other is off.  Sorry about the confusion.

You are right, my mistake...I will modify my post.

zaprowsdower

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
Mage Wars is the best game I have played in the last 10 years. Having 16 promos that cost 62.00, and having promos only available to those who can travel across the country to go to conventions, may make me stop playing it altogether.

lettucemode

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »
Mage Wars is the best game I have played in the last 10 years. Having 16 promos that cost 62.00, and having promos only available to those who can travel across the country to go to conventions, may make me stop playing it altogether.

The first 8 cards cost $50 because they are included in a "promo pack" that contains promos for many games. This is a Dice Tower kickstarter that is not affliated with AW, remember, and their audience plays all sorts of things. I won't be putting in for the first set because I don't play any of the other games in that promo pack, but $12 for the other 8 cards is a good deal.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »

The first 8 cards cost $50 because they are included in a "promo pack" that contains promos for many games. This is a Dice Tower kickstarter that is not affliated with AW, remember, and their audience plays all sorts of things. I won't be putting in for the first set because I don't play any of the other games in that promo pack, but $12 for the other 8 cards is a good deal.

You aiming high to be dream consumer nr 1?

Paying for promos??? since when was that not riddicilous? Do you even know what "promos" are suppost to be?

If other cards costed 1.5 dollars a piece then i wouldnt be playing this game.

I dont even want to go into aspect of spending time on getting these cards - bothering with what promos are released when and where and how.

I got into this game because it was not collectable... if it were i would have avoided it per defination. Promos bring forth this feeling. Especially when promos contains cooler cards than the expansions (true up until DvsN).

Edit:
And the alot of the promos in this thread look super freaking awesome too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:51:58 AM by jacksmack »

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
Nobody is forcing anybody to buy any promos. If you don't want to pay such a high price, then simply don't. I won't be, because like lettucemode, I don't play any of those games besides Mage Wars.

Unless I am mistaken, all promos will be released in future sets. So everybody will be able to get these cards in the future in normal sets. People just buy the promos in order to have them early.

Secondly, most play groups have house rules that do not allow the use of promos because they give advantages to people who buy them and nobody else. Tournaments also have a no promo rule.

In conclusion, if you feel like promos are overpriced and not worth it, simply do not buy them and wait for them to be released in the sets. This game is not a CCG and never will be. AW knows that part of the appeal of this game is the fact that it is NOT collectible and I highly highly doubt they will ever change that.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

zaprowsdower

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
I understand what you're saying. I'm not really quitting playing, it's just irritating that it seems like on promos the designers go nuts and come up with something REALLY cool, even cooler than the already pretty cool regular MW cards. Seeing those cards triggers my collector lust, I MUST HAVE THEM!
OK, I'm all better now.