May 04, 2024, 11:34:24 PM

Author Topic: Elephant Grass and zone attack question  (Read 3147 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Elephant Grass and zone attack question
« on: June 07, 2017, 11:35:44 PM »
We had one other question from our play tonight, this one related to timing on the loss of Elephant Grass to a zone attack.

At the start of the attack, several animals are hiding in the grass so are getting a benefit of two fewer dice being rolled against them. In the zone attack, however, the attacker chooses to roll dice against the Elephant Grass first, which eliminates it.

The question that we had was: Do the animals still benefit from the Elephant Grass that was just destroyed, or do they lose it as soon as the EG is destroyed, and take a full complement of dice from the same zone attack?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Elephant Grass and zone attack question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:04:08 AM »
They lose the benefits of Elephant Grass as soon as it is destroyed, so they would take the full complement of dice. Your opponent chose wisely when attacking the terrain first.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
I guess my thought was that it was a single attack action, so it "should" (in my mind) take place simultaneously against every target... so I would have thought that you go through the attack steps in order for every target together... counting dice for the attack all at one time, so when you count dice there has been no damage to anything yet, and you end up counting fewer dice for the critters. I guess that's not how it works though....

A single zone attack becomes a series of individual attacks from what you say. OK, good to know.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

gaspode77

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »
They lose the benefits of Elephant Grass as soon as it is destroyed, so they would take the full complement of dice. Your opponent chose wisely when attacking the terrain first.
is it official?makes no sense to me

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:21 AM »
is it official?makes no sense to me

Consider it official when Zuberi says it.

Also there is not really much to question here.
The amount of dice you roll are calculated in the roll dice step on each individual attack that the zone attack spell makes.
When things are destroyed they leave play immediately.
So... if you resolve one of the attack sequences from a zone attack on Elephant Grass as first object which destroys it, then its no longer in play when during the future roll dice steps of the zone attack and will not subtract from the number of dice rolled.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
I never gave out a sticker to Zuberi. Nice work on being the first to respond!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest