May 10, 2024, 06:59:10 AM

Poll

How should Reverse Magic function post Gencon?

RM: Removes all other triggers and goes back to casting step?
8 (47.1%)
RM: Forces you out of the counter spell step to the resolve spell step?
2 (11.8%)
RM: Function does not change but the wording does?
5 (29.4%)
RM: Is fine as is
2 (11.8%)
I do not understand the poll
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: August 19, 2014, 01:14:13 PM

Author Topic: Nullifying a Reverse Magic  (Read 29119 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullifying a Reverse Magic
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
I added a poll.

This way I know what the community is thinking when the rules team goes to discuss the issue.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »
Personally, it is the not-mandatory reveal of Nullify on a Reversed spell that is non-instinctive.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
Personally, it is the not-mandatory reveal of Nullify on a Reversed spell that is non-instinctive.

Then this would be the way you should vote RM: Removes all other triggers and goes back to casting step

If we did this it would be as if you are casting the spell for the first time.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

Then this would be the way you should vote RM: Removes all other triggers and goes back to casting step

It would not be the same. Because it would allow enchantment to be revealed between the new cast and counter steps.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »

It would not be the same. Because it would allow enchantment to be revealed between the new cast and counter steps.

Correct but it would give a similar function and be very easy for people to understand

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2014, 03:44:00 AM »
the famous -->  .  <-- could be replaced with and AND it would have same effect (if i understand this correctly.)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
the famous -->  .  <-- could be replaced with and AND it would have same effect (if i understand this correctly.)

Would that be clear enough that even new players would understand it?

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »

Would that be clear enough that even new players would understand it?

Yes it would.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2014, 03:01:02 PM »
I would say that yeah Nullify would trigger as you're the new target. I'm a little confused on the poll. Which should I vote for if I believe it triggers Nullify?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
I would say that yeah Nullify would trigger as you're the new target. I'm a little confused on the poll. Which should I vote for if I believe it triggers Nullify?

I voted "wording change" to reflect that. Because I think everything is fine but Nullify should still be mandatory.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2014, 01:58:10 AM »

I voted "wording change" to reflect that. Because I think everything is fine but Nullify should still be mandatory.

This would be for the best if you wanted to stay in the CSS and then resolve the trigger of null.
Remember that whatever the rules team does for this we must also do for 2 opposing RMs. Since the trigger are the exact same.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2014, 04:25:49 AM »
I would be fine either way with whether or not it triggers a mandatory reveal from Nullify or another Reverse Magic. My only concern is that things remain in the Counter Spell Step. I don't like time travel. It makes me queasy.

If you were to reword Reverse Magic so that it's owner takes control of the spell in question and THEN redirects it back to the caster, then a ruling stating that mandatory triggers apply would make sense. This would maintain the expected behavior of spells like Nullify, making the game easier to understand and learn.

However, leaving the wording the same or updating it to clarify that the owner redirects the spell and then takes control of it, thereby avoiding further mandatory triggers, allows for more tactical options during game play which I think enriches the experience. If I'm being honest, however, this is unintuitive. The question then seems, to me, are more tactical options with these spells worth a steeper learning curve?

*shrug* I don't know the answer to that. Either way though, things can and should stay in the Counter Spell Step.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2014, 05:34:12 AM »
Let us wait on an official ruling from AW after GenCon.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »
just to be clear, when it says "function does not change but the wording doesn't but the wording does" does that refer to the function before the temporary ruling or during it?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »
just to be clear, when it says "function does not change but the wording doesn't but the wording does" does that refer to the function before the temporary ruling or during it?

For this choice?
RM: Function does not change but the wording does?