May 02, 2024, 08:31:50 PM

Author Topic: Crank'n da Hammer (a Warlord review)  (Read 1863 times)

ThaTsRight

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Crank'n da Hammer (a Warlord review)
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
This is my fist review of Mage Wars.  I usually just concern myself with playing games, but this game has excited me enough to want to be more involved. Hope y'all enjoy =)

The Forcemaster's allure has seemingly kept hidden the destructive force of the all mighty Warlord!!!

-Creatures-

The Warlord has several creatures with solid ranged attacks.

>The Goblin Slinger is a strong 7 mana creature. His range of 1-2 for 3 dice is an incredible value for a 7 drop. His low defenses are offset by his ability to keep away from the fight whilst pelting your enemy with sling stones. Combine him with Archer's Watchtower to add a die and ignore walls. Solid combo.

>Grimson Deadeye, Sniper enjoys sniping folk from afar with pinpoint accuracy. With the ability to hit targets from 3 zones away makes him extremely difficult to deal with. And, again, with the low cost/high utility Archer's Watchtower, you'll be sniping creatures from 3 zones away with 5 dice!

>Ludwig Boltstorm may not have the best range (1-1), but he has decent durability and may either attack 1 creature with 3 dice 3x (Triplestrike) or hit everything in a zone for 3 dice. He's the perfect compliment to a Watchtower + Wall that obscures LOS.

The Warlord has some strong ground pounders as well.

>Orc Butcher is an incredible value. He's a solid 1/10 with a quick melee attack from 4 dice. While extremely vanilla, but extremely efficient for his cost.

>Both the Earth Elemental and Iron Golems add some extreme tankiness to your spell book. They're slow but immense. I've yet to really put them to the test, but I'm certain they'll cause some problems for one's opponent.

>And, we cannot forget about Thorg, Chief Bodyguard. This guy is awesome! He's a 4/12 with a quick attack for 5 that may guard and help bring enemy creatures into the fray (taunt).

-Conjurations-

These are, quite possibly, where the Warlord truly shines.

>Battle Forge is an excellent way of getting equipment onto your Warlord (mage in general).

>The Archer's Watchtower is cheap, it's an outpost which enhances your Barracks, and it aids with your ranged attacks. It's a great card.

>The Barracks, if played correctly, is possibly the best Spawnpoint in the game! Get just two other outposts out and generate 3 extra mana a turn used to mill out soldiers.

>Garrison Post is an outpost that enables you to immediately summon soldier creatures into the fray.

>Finally, the bread and butter of the Warlock: Akiro's Hammer!!! This thing is the bomb! I primarily use it to cripple my opponent's mana producing conjurations and spawnpoints. Every other turn you get to simply punish a conjuration for merely existing. It's fun!

-Incantations-

The Warlord's incantations are basically just combat tricks/enhancements. They're all pretty straigh forward.

>I find Power Strike and Piercing Strike to be the most useful; especially since they both cost a mere 2 mana. I also utilize several Charge in my spell book as well as a one copy each of Battle Fury, Whirling Strike, Evade, and Earthquake.

-Attacks-

The Warlord knows Earth, so his attacks (at least without paying double or triple to add to spell book) are quite limited.

>Hurl Bolder is a great value. It has a range of 0-2 and hits for 7 and on a 8+ gives the Slam condition to the target. It's good stuff- just ask Pat Connor O.o

-Enchantments-

The Warlord's enchantments are pretty limited, but a couple of them are quite strong.

>Fortified Position is an incredible card. Giving all your creatures in a zone +2 armor is pretty good I hear...

>I also really like Standard Bearer. It's a unique cantrip; thus, while you may only have 1 in play, it does recycle itself back to your spell book if it happens to be destroyed. It grants all your creatures in its zone +1 melee and +1 armor. Good stuff!

-Warlord-

The Warlord, himself, is far from being the best mage. Arcane spells costing triple harms versatility. His Veterans ability would be much better if it triggered from ranged attacks, but as it stands, it's ok at best. Battle Orders is a very useful and versatile ability, and I like it quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, he's satisfactory as is, but I think the other mages that currently exist are all slightly better.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Crank'n da Hammer (a Warlord review)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:57:39 AM »
I think the way you're playing the Warlord is giving you the impression that he is weaker.  Against any mage that can be reasonably aggressive in-school, especially the Forcemaster and Warlock, his conjurations are in fact a liability rather than in asset.  His real strength comes in his repertoire of creatures, spells, and abilities that suit just about every situation.  His best card is easily Thorg, the strongest defensive creature in the game.  After that, it's all about what you're playing against...pretty much all of his creatures have a given situation that calls for them, and proper Warlord play relies upon your ability to recognize what situation you are in and respond or anticipate with the proper creature.  Obviously, this takes a good understanding of the rules and game to execute, but the Warlord and Forcemaster are pushed as more advanced-level mages after all.

After being on the receiving end of proper Warlord play, I can describe the Warlord in two words; brutally efficient.  He's not initially as flashy as some of the other mages, which sport massive angels and demons who have a lot of immediate power, but his ability to survive an initial assault is mostly unmatched (the Priestess is probably the best defender) and his forces keep getting stronger as the game progresses at no cost to the Warlord.  While it is indeed true that at first the Warlord plays defensively early on in the match, as the casualties mount, he easily transitions into a more aggressive mage. 

Perhaps one of the most overlooked aspect of the Warlord is his sheer access to cards with the sweeping trait.  Experienced players know how effective sweeping is...it's virtually a free attack action against the opposing mage in most circumstances.  With Sir Corazin, Dwarf Kriegsbiel, and his Hammer, he forces his opponent to make a tough call; should you summon more creatures with which to guard in order to circumvent damage to your mage?  But if you do...you're virtually guaranteeing veteran status for his units when he eventually kills them.  If you don't, well...you better hope you can trade blows as well as the Warlord and his squad can.  In either case, the Warlord excels at forcing mages out of their element, making them play on his terms, especially in combination with Thorg's taunt. 

As one of the channeling 9, high hp, "aggressive" mages, he falls on a more mid/late-game spectrum when compared to the Warlock and Beastmaster, in which his growing group of veterans shine, which is probably why players seem to be over-emphasizing the role of his conjurations...but his conjurations are far more situational than his actual on-card abilities.  He doesn't have the sheer power of a pet Steelclaw or Adramelech or Dark Pact Slayer bloodreaper at first...but once the veterans on Thorg, Corazin and others start kicking in, you'll see how aggressive he can be.  Against extremely defensive mages like the Priestess, who excel at keeping creatures alive, the Barracks becomes much more viable.

The Warlord is a powerful mage, definitely on par with all the others.  When he is played correctly (i.e., not using conjurations against the Forcemaster/Warlock), I never felt like I could just roll over him, even with competitive Warlock openings.  The amount of armor you have to get around is pretty ridiculous and is probably his best overall asset.  Play him to his strengths and you'll be rewarded. 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock