May 02, 2024, 12:10:04 PM

Author Topic: Octgn Thunderdome I.  (Read 42841 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Octgn Thunderdome I.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 05:54:44 AM »
Yes we can work something out.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »
14/16 :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 04:00:28 PM »
How did you fix balista in OCTGN?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
I think it was made Epic (Unique?).
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 10:17:25 PM »
I think it was made Epic (Unique?).
Unique, which I think is a shame....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 07:47:55 AM »
Talk about neutering a card that didn't need to be neutered in the first place.

Just kill it with fire!!!  Seriously...

I'm glad I don't play on OCTGN, sound like a bunch of babies. Either play with Promos or don;t play with promos, but dont decide to play with promos and then nerf them.

It's like playing with staff of storms, and saying, you only get to remove one charge counter when you use it.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 09:04:11 AM »

O rly? You are welcome to join us on Octgn. Maybe we can enlighten you, why the Ballista nerf is absolutely nessessary  ;)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Octgn Thunderdome I.
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »

I'm glad I don't play on OCTGN, sound like a bunch of babies. Either play with Promos or don;t play with promos, but dont decide to play with promos and then nerf them.

It's like playing with staff of storms, and saying, you only get to remove one charge counter when you use it.

Ahahahaha! You have no idea. I don't know what's got you so grumpy and rude today, but there's no need to take things out on the rest of us. Of course maybe I'm wrong and what's actually happening is that you've decided to take up trolling, in which case...no. Just stop.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:02:36 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
A wall completely bestroys balista. Problem solved.

A fire spell completely wrecks Balista.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »

Moving into the same zone as Balista makes for a bad day too.....

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »

I somewhat disagree. A wall is going to be a mana sink to hold ballista off, yes, but for how long? A wall against one ballista is affective, but against two, or three?

A fireball is statistically going to come 2 damage short, then the burn token has a decent chance of taking the construct down, but it isn't definite. How many fireballs are you going to run if you're not a firewizard/warlock?

Either way, 4 ballistas (worse case scenario) are hard to argue with. That many make it hard to keep anything on the field, as a creature is cast it's shot multiple times and then it still has to deal with your creatures. If you don't one-shot the ballistas they're going to make it very hard for you to make any progress.

So yes, Ballista is definately a card that can be dealt with, but it becomes increasingly difficult with more than one on the field. 

That being said, I just want more war machines so we can see this type of construct deck.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »
If you're going to "Fix" Balista by making it Unique, why not "fix" Akiro's War Hammer by giving it Indirect?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »

There is no need for name calling. Schwenkgott has put a lot of work into making this an enjoyable event for the players. Obviously this is not you, so no need to complain about his decisions. Regardless, we shouldn't be trying to pick apart the members of the community.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »

I somewhat disagree. A wall is going to be a mana sink to hold ballista off, yes, but for how long? A wall against one ballista is affective, but against two, or three?

A fireball is statistically going to come 2 damage short, then the burn token has a decent chance of taking the construct down, but it isn't definite. How many fireballs are you going to run if you're not a firewizard/warlock?

Either way, 4 ballistas (worse case scenario) are hard to argue with. That many make it hard to keep anything on the field, as a creature is cast it's shot multiple times and then it still has to deal with your creatures. If you don't one-shot the ballistas they're going to make it very hard for you to make any progress.

So yes, Ballista is definately a card that can be dealt with, but it becomes increasingly difficult with more than one on the field. 

That being said, I just want more war machines so we can see this type of construct deck.
I've ran 4 against Charmyna and never managed to come out ahead. The mana required to get two out and the actions needed almost always telegraphs your intent, even if you cast both at the end of you Actions during the other mages Initiative. Most of the time coming out of the following First QC I only had one left and got the shot off. Then it is another two upkeeps away from firing again, and the second one never made it that far. So two rounds after you dropped the first two you can drop the 2nd two and go through the same disappointing process.

But of course if you drop them on someone that is unprepared or never played against them they are devastating.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 07:52:39 PM »
I have never fought against Ballista spam, but I imagine it might be difficult.  It seems that when they are properly protected they are very strong.  They would help quite a lot against armor stacking.

For the record, I think that "it didn't work against Charmyna" is not a strong argument.  Charmyna is legendarily good at this game.  I have no doubt that Ballista can be dealt with effectively and that he of all people would barely blink an eye at them.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster