May 02, 2024, 11:46:54 AM

Author Topic: Octgn Thunderdome I.  (Read 42841 times)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Octgn Thunderdome I.
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
OCTGN Thunderdome I.
Two mages enter,
one mage leaves!

The second installment of the OCTGN Mage Wars tournament is taking place on July. It is called Thunderdome I. because the last tournament was merely a beta test for us.

For more information and registration visit http://challonge.com/ThunderdomeOne
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Octgn Thunderdome I.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
Does anyone play on Octgn without promos? I was pretty disappointed when I started to watch the videos and found spells that I had never seen before.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »
Does anyone play on Octgn without promos? I was pretty disappointed when I started to watch the videos and found spells that I had never seen before.
I run books of books of both. Most players will have a book without promo's. If you tell someone you are testing your book for an official tournament and would like to play against tourney legal books, most players will be happy to oblige. You might not get their best book but it will meet your request.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »
The only books I make on OCTGN are books that I physically have (and upkeep with each change).
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:41 PM »
Everything I make on OCTGN is tournament legal.  When Schwenkgott originally set up this tournament the promos were specifically included in the legal card pool.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:06:21 AM »
I also find it very irritating to include promos into a tournament environment.
 :)
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 04:23:53 AM »
Why? Only because all tournaments that happened until now were without promos? Maybe playing _with_ promos will be the new standard?

Keep in mind, that playing with promos is more challenging for the players and that's exactly what we want on Octgn.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
I think its cool that we are able to play with promos.

1) you can test your book long time before you can actually get your hands on them (if you will ever get your hands on them :) )

2) By playing them, you "playtest" promo cards and test them, if they are not epicly broken to be used in standard game.

3) Balista is manualy corrected and seems to work fine :)

4) Making it this tournament really original ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
It's not like in real life where you have to have access to the actual promo cards to use them. The reasons that real life tournaments don't allow promo cards that have not yet been released in a set don't apply to OCTGN play.

And it's probably a good thing that octgn tournaments don't completely mimic real life ones. So octgn has full card access in game, but it lacks the face-to-face interaction, setting and overall feel of real life tournaments. Swiss has an advantage over single elimination in tournaments because more people get to play more games, so luck with matchups plays less of a role, not to mention that if player A beats player B and player B beats player C that doesn't mean that player A will beat player C, and single elimination doesn't allow us to find out, and possibly even creates the illusion that we already would know the outcome of that hypothetical matchup--that player A is better at the game than player C, since they progressed farther in the tournament. Unfortunately, swiss tournaments just don't work on OCTGN, and single elimination has the added advantage of greater tension and drama for viewers.

Some other differences between octgn play and real life include the fact that octgn is worldwide while real life mage wars tournaments are not, being much more limited by geography, and for the most part only being held in conventions in the US. I'm really hoping that we eventually get some mage wars computer games that work on both mac and pc without having to go through the long, complicated, and difficult process of installing wine and getting it to work, which is arguably impossible for a layperson with no computer programming expertise, even WITH all the instructions. Believe me, I tried, and so did my sister. This is one of the major barriers that prevents her from playing against people other than me.

Anyways, just thought I'd give my two V'tar while we're on the subject. Also, I'm not positive whether I'll be able to participate or not, since it will be during summer semester and I have a biology class I will be taking then. Granted, the tournament is on the weekend, but I have no idea yet what my homework load will look like. Should I just sign up for it now and then cancel my participation later if it doesn't work out? I probably won't know until maybe a few weeks before hand.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
Promos was fine.  Anything that was thought too over-powered (Ballista) was dealt with at the beginning. All the players had access to the same card pool and the rules were clearly communicated from the start.  I made a "tournament legal" book that included promos because promos were considered legal for this tournament. 

Schwenkgott did an excellent job running this tournament...I should have planned more carefully for more wind wizards due to the promo pool.

My one request for the future is to nail down the exact times for the matches a little bit earlier.  That would ensure that people could plan on when they needed to be available further in advance before they signed up to play.  It didn't matter for me this time, but if I had gone farther in the tournament I would have had schedule conflicts.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
@Sailor_Vulcan
There are players that run Octgn successfully on Mac. Maybe one of them could write a tutorial how to bring Octgn on Mac to life.

@Puddnhead
I think we will use the same times like in the last tournament. That should work out ok for both areas, Europe and America.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
This is awesome! I can't wait to see the great games! Major props Schwen :D
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »
I think we will use the same times like in the last tournament.

I guess that makes three reasons for me not be participate... unfamiliarity with (not lack of access to) the promos that are legal, unfamiliarity with Octgn in general, and inability to make the Sunday time slot.

I think I've given up on trying to learn how to play on Octgn now.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 07:39:03 PM »
I think we will use the same times like in the last tournament.

I guess that makes three reasons for me not be participate... unfamiliarity with (not lack of access to) the promos that are legal, unfamiliarity with Octgn in general, and inability to make the Sunday time slot.

I think I've given up on trying to learn how to play on Octgn now.

My friend, Learning OCTGN is only one sent message away. There are many players who would gladly show you how to use the platform if you asked.

I didn't feel that the promos made such a difference that those without them were really at a disadvantage. "promo" for MW doesn't mean that it's over powered. It simply means that it hasn't made it into an expansion or that they are unsure of its use in the game currently.

As far as the inability to make it there, well, that's a shame. If things change around for you, please join in the tournament. Don't let this experience drive you away from another opportunity to play Mage Wars, use it to strengthen your resolve and help the community grow.  :)
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

ben_tyrer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 02:07:43 AM »
In the early rounds, would it be possible for us to arrange our own time slots with our opponents? The later time slot is fine for me but the early one, with me having a family, is more problematic. No problem if not, just thought i'd get my request in early.

If no to the above, could I request the later time slot for my matches?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:09:47 AM by ben_tyrer »