May 04, 2024, 01:22:40 PM

Author Topic: What I learned about MW by playing Warhammer  (Read 4561 times)

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
What I learned about MW by playing Warhammer
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
I was so gratified by SC grizzly’s what-I-learned-about-MW-from-Hclix post under a different topic, I decided to do the same thing. After all, the more different lessons we have from different games the better. My resume consists largely of 6th and 7th edition Warhammer Fantasy, so I feel like I might have some insights that differ slightly from those offered by the card gamers and squad-level minis gamers in the group.

1. The player that dictates the terms of engagement will probably win the match. In a wargame this mostly means ganging up on enemy units with multiple units of your own, getting flanking bonuses, and tying down your opponent’s heavy hitters with chaff. This applies to MW as well (taunts, force holds, quicksand, tanglevines can tie up big nasties so the rest of your creatures can take apart supporting creatures), but in MW there’s also a tempo element that WH has less of . If one player is running an aggro book and the other is planning for a long game, the winner will probably be the one that ends up dictating the tempo.

2.  Mobile troops are key, but not everyone needs to be super mobile. Fast, elusive, and flying are great abilities and most books should include some or all of these traits (teleport-heavy wizard builds possibly being the exception), but not every creature needs them. Those traits aren’t free in terms of either books points or casting cost, and a fast-themed or elusive-themed build will often find that once it gets where it’s going it doesn’t have the staying power or damage potential it might have had if only one or two creatures had been super mobile.

3. On a related note, you’re paying some sort of premium (book cost, casting cost, actions) for every spell and creature you have. If your opponent can tie down your bear strength, fast, unavoidable steelclaw grizzly with a quick sleep spell, he’s winning the resource game. If you’re investing a lot of resources in a particular strategy, make sure you’re also taking steps to ensure that strategy stays effective given your opponent’s likely counters (and, conversely, if your opponent is highly invested in a particular strategy, keep an eye out for efficient ways of disabling it).

4. No plan survives contact with the enemy. Having a plan and sticking to it is important, but once your enemy figures out what that is he’s definitely going to try to disrupt it, and a successful player will be prepared for that.

5. Unless you invest very heavily in your defenses and your opponent invests very little, you’re not going to dispel/nullify your opponent’s entire enchantment/incantation game. Learning which spells must be dealt with and which to ignore is a big part of the game and may vary based on your build. A forcemaster probably can’t allow Agony on himself long term.  A wizard might be able to roll with it.

6. Learn to lose gracefully. I’m always surprised at the percentage of adult humans who can’t lose a game without getting visibly angry. This hurts the fun for everyone, is bad for the culture, and is a barrier to entry for potential new players. Get it together, people.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: What I learned about MW by playing Warhammer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
About #6, I get angry... At myself. When I lose I often say "I should have done this instead of that", "I should have added that spell to my book", etc. If MW was real, I would be dead! This is good reason to be angry at myself ;)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »

About #6, I get angry... At myself. When I lose I often say "I should have done this instead of that", "I should have added that spell to my book", etc. If MW was real, I would be dead! This is good reason to be angry at myself ;)

If Mage Wars was real you would have died in apprentice mode less than two years ago, just like the rest of us. Be glad that Arcane Wonders has infinite mana and spellbook points to cast Ressurects and Rise Agains, so we will have to duke it out in the arena until the end of time. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »
Webcatcher this is very cool! On your points I'll add:

#1: I can't agree with this more! This is a lesson of many war games and MW is no exception.
#2: Another good point.  Fast and Elusive generally equate to "Not hitting that hard" with only a couple of exceptions that come to mind.
#3: I agree diversify your threats.
#4: Isn't that just the sad and sorry truth? So many times I wish my enemy had just say back and let me enact by brilliant scheme.
#5: Amen.
#6: This. This is why it's sometime shard to recruit new players. I'll also add two words of VITAL importance here people: PERSONAL HYGIENE! I swear I'd donate heavily to a Kick Starter that added bars of soap to new games. I once went to a convention where bars of soap with D10s were handed out at the door with a sign that said "Complimentary Showers For Everyone!"
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
Is personal hygiene really a regular problem in Mage Wars organized play?  :o
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
Not in my experience.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
More gaming in general. You see the problem more at cons than anything else.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:21:12 AM »
I agree with Griz. I don't have any experience with MW OP, but I've seen enough gamers in general to know that the nerd-with-body-odor is a stereotype that is not without justification.

Sylex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »
Very good advice here webcatcher. I also think #6 is the most important to EVERYONE. I enjoy losing just as much as winning because it makes me ask those questions "What could I have done differently?", or "Where did I lose tempo?". I've played other games for years and still haven't won a local tournament, but I had a blast learning new things, and playing new people.

Also after attending many Star City Games opens, and Grand Prix for MtG, I would have to say that I have smelled my share of nerds. Some of these things last ALL DAY, so just a word of advice, please shower the day OF and not three days ahead of time. While losing to a person who smells of moldy cheese and onions is more humiliating, it just adds insult to injury, and is really just uncalled for. Also, if I could get soap with dice in them, I would be all over that.