May 11, 2024, 09:25:07 PM

Author Topic: Suppression cloak, Applying Effects and Sleep Q's  (Read 5181 times)

kmfdm

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Suppression cloak, Applying Effects and Sleep Q's
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »
I've played 3 games now and really enjoy the game. I bought both the core game and the expansion. I'm planning on introducing as many of my friends as possible to it.

I did a quick search but I didn't turn up the exact questions I was looking for. Just a few questions I was hoping I could help get clarification...

1. Suppression cloak - I don't have the card in front of me but the wording is a bit confusing to me. It says something like each round for each creature... Does the controller have to pay 2 mana per creature to attach the mage wearing this cloak? Or is it 2 mana on the very first creature to attack the mage?

2. Applying Effects - This is really basic and I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious. But are effects applied regardless of what is rolled for damage? Example the Basilisk Paralisys Beam. I roll two dice for damage and they are both blanks. Do I still get to roll to see if I get to apply the cripple effect? If I roll two normal 1's and they have 2 armor. Does the armor absorbing the damage prevent me from trying to apply the cripple effect?

3. Breaking Sleep - I've done the search and see the many threads regarding sleep needing to be broken by damage. This question is similar to my second question. If a creature with 3 armor is put to sleep and something attacks it to wake it up, does it actually need to do damage to wake the creature up? Does it need to roll starburst or exceed the armor to wake up the creature?

Thanks!

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Suppression cloak, Applying Effects and Sleep Q's
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »
Quote from: "kmfdm" post=10213
I've played 3 games now and really enjoy the game. I bought both the core game and the expansion. I'm planning on introducing as many of my friends as possible to it.

I did a quick search but I didn't turn up the exact questions I was looking for. Just a few questions I was hoping I could help get clarification...

1. Suppression cloak - I don't have the card in front of me but the wording is a bit confusing to me. It says something like each round for each creature... Does the controller have to pay 2 mana per creature to attach the mage wearing this cloak? Or is it 2 mana on the very first creature to attack the mage?

2. Applying Effects - This is really basic and I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious. But are effects applied regardless of what is rolled for damage? Example the Basilisk Paralisys Beam. I roll two dice for damage and they are both blanks. Do I still get to roll to see if I get to apply the cripple effect? If I roll two normal 1's and they have 2 armor. Does the armor absorbing the damage prevent me from trying to apply the cripple effect?

3. Breaking Sleep - I've done the search and see the many threads regarding sleep needing to be broken by damage. This question is similar to my second question. If a creature with 3 armor is put to sleep and something attacks it to wake it up, does it actually need to do damage to wake the creature up? Does it need to roll starburst or exceed the armor to wake up the creature?

Thanks!

1.  The Cloak applies only the first time each creature declares an attack against the Wizard.  Basically what this means is that every round, each creature that decides to attack the Wizard will incur an additional cost of 2 but only for the first time they attack him.  For example, if you gave a creature Battle Fury, which grants a creature the ability to make extra attacks (not strikes, actual full attack declarations), that creature would only need to pay the additional cost for the first attack, not the second (if it chooses to attack the Wizard again).  

2.  You still get the effect even if you don't actual roll any damage.  For example, if you happened to totally miss on a Fireball, but rolled an 11 or 12 on the effect die, you would still give the target 2 burn conditions.  Thematically, this represents an attack missing the actual body of the mage, but perhaps striking his cloak or other aesthetic.

3.  Yes, you need to actually damage a creature to wake it up.  I recommend Nullifies if you're having trouble against Sleep, or if you have the Warlord vs Forcemaster expansion, the very cost-efficient Mind Shield.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

kmfdm

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
Awesome - thanks for the reply. I'm still not 100% sure on number 1 but the other two are clear now.

As an example: My wizard with the suppression cloak is in the same zone as 3 of the opponents creatures. I end having to take all 3 individual attacks from the opponents creatures. Does that opponent have to pay 2 mana per creature that wishes to attack? That would seem pretty strong to make an opponent pay 6 mana total for all 3 creatures.

When I was playing with my friend I was playing the wizard and having my opponent only had to pay 2 mana for the first attack as we thought the cloak seemed too strong if each creature had to pay cost.

Basically I was sort of treating it like how the voltaric shield works.

Thanks again!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
Here is the text from the card:

The first time each round that each creature makes a melee attack against this Mage, its controller must pay 2 mana during the Declare Attack Step, as an additional cost of making that attack.

So this is played just like it says. If you have three creatures (including your Mage) that will cost 2 mana each for a total of 6 mana for the first attack made by each creature.

Further, an Attack spell is considered both an attack and a spell, so if it were the Mages first attack then it would cost an additional two mana to cast.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
Quote from: "sIKE" post=10221

Further, an Attack spell is considered both an attack and a spell, so if it were the Mages first attack then it would cost an additional two mana to cast.

I suppose but the cloak doesn't interact with that really.  I'm pretty sure  that all attack spells are ranged anyway, and as the cloak references melee attacks, I don't think it would force you to pay extra for any of the attack spells that are currently available.  It'll be pretty cool to see melee attack spells though, maybe like a melee version of Drain Life that costs less and/or rolls more dice.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
Good Catch! Yes since the Attach Spells are Ranged ignore what I said.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »
3 Banana stickers to red :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=10240
3 Banana stickers to red :P

Score!  :silly:

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
What are banana stickers?

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »
[attachment=169]bananastickerdv6_2013-04-14.jpg[/attachment]
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
It is a joke from a few months back when I ran out of gold stars.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
You are going to have to tell people what banana stickers are for the rest of your days! :P
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »
But for those who do not know should they be awakened ?