May 08, 2024, 11:16:46 PM

Author Topic: Togorah and Vigilant, why?  (Read 4862 times)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Togorah and Vigilant, why?
« on: November 28, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
Have I got this right?

Vigilant gives the ability to the active creature to automaticly end its turn with a guard token on it?
Togorah got this ability, but only have one full action attack, which means no counterstrik with guard. So why Vigilant? It only makes him vulnerable... Is this supposed to be "negative" trait for him?

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Togorah and Vigilant, why?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
He can't counterstrike, but he can still shield other more vulnerable creatures from both melee and ranged attacks. It is a positive trait. If he had an attack that could be used to counterstrike, he would have to cost a lot more.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
He is designed to be a tank, plus having regeneration makes him the perfect shield

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »
Another thing to note about Vigilant is that you "may" put a guard marker, so you can opt not to give him one if you choose.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:02:41 PM »
Originally, I thought Togorah was always guarding the zone he was in no matter what. It seemed like the most ridiculous, OP thing in the world! Glad that Vigilant means something else. Boy do I feel silly now  ;D

But yeah, Togorah makes an excellent guard... if you can ever get enough mana to summon him! I played one game as the Druid and was mana starved the whole time. Must have been playing her wrong.
"See you space cowboy..."

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 08:38:48 PM »
In theory you can have him out 2nd or 3rd turn but for the cost i rather have 2 raptor vines

rivermoth

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
I too felt mana starved as a druid--the first game I played as her, I thought I was being clever by pumping out tons of seedling pods through the Samara Tree (because they'd magically turn into free actions later on!  And one would grow even faster with my little Tataree sprinkling magical mana dust on it!), but got overwhelmed with skeletons, and eventually conceded when I had one creature versus ten creatures on the boar.

The second game, I used the Samara Tree much more conservatively, only letting free pods drop, and I set them up defensively so if a crowd pressured me they could pop into something big and scary.  If you only use a three mana tree to drop a pod, you can get a three mana discounted summon every three turns beginning on turn six... pretty crummy trade off if you try to use offensively, but it worked better defensively and let me utilize the rest of my mana pool more efficiently.  One popped for a heavily discounted Togorah that protected my druid while my Raptor Vine fed off my druid to stave off death.  It sucks that one of the only living creatures in a Necromancer deck is the Necromancer himself.

Edit: this was just with the prebuilt decks and we were toying around with their capabilities.  I can imagine a Samara tree with a harmonize and a dedicated Tataree dropping a pod every turn, but for the cost, I'm not sure it's worth the limitations, what with only one pod per zone and their fragility if used offensively (though then again, the sheer quantity of them on the board can prove to be a deterrent).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:53:12 AM by rivermoth »

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
round 1 ring leaf and vine tree (bond to tree)
channeling now 10
round 2 (2) mana flowers and pay 1 off vine tree to play an extra vine
channeling now 12
round 3 pay 1 of tree for an extra vine and you should now have enough mana to play any plant creature in your spell book and should be able to summon them right next to the enemy mage.