May 03, 2024, 01:26:47 AM

Author Topic: cards to include in a future expansion or mini-pack.  (Read 4267 times)

godai

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
cards to include in a future expansion or mini-pack.
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I had looked into the game before but after playing a demo at BASHcon this weekend, decided to buy.

I basically bought one of everything:

Core set, both Spell tomes, Druid vs Necro, Forcemaster vs warlord, and Kumanjaro. and a couple of the extra spellbooks to basically have a book for each of the mages.

So I went through and built all the standard books to work as a starting point.

The problem is even with the extra spell tomes and all the cards in the set, you can't build the 10 sets in the instructions.
You can build 7 full books, but will have to end up using 20 proxy cards to complete the last 3.

For the most part it looks like it's conflict between the priest and Priestess and the two beastmasters.

Though the lack of tanglevines also pulls the druid into the mix.
(The 2 beastmasters and the druid each need 3 and you get 4 copies with what I bought.)
Also the Male Beastmaster book has 4 Feral Bobcats, in my copies of the sets I ended up with 3 Bobcats total.
So it's impossible to build the set without buying multiples.

Now I realize that the books in the instructions are starting points. And the purpose of the game is to modify and build custom decks.  But I was planning on using the sets to teach friends, get them hooked.

So in case anyone else is wondering, If you bought one of everything and wanted to build all the books in the rule books you would need extras of these cards:

4 Tanglevines
3 Mana Flower
2 Feral Bobcats
1 Thunderift Falcon
2 Dissolve
1 Timber Wolf
1 Heal
1 Dawn Breaker Ring
1 staff of Asyra
1 Asyran Cleric
1 Knight of Westlock
1 Divine Protection
1 Rhino Hide

Edit: One note,

Just found that the 4 bobcats is supposed to be 3 bobcats and an extra   Thunderift Falcons (3 instead of 2)

However All that would mean is removing 1 bobcat from my list and Add a Thudnerift Falcon because there aren't any unused after constructing the decks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:48:38 PM by godai »

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: cards to include in a future expansion or mini-pack.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum, godai.

So bought everything at Bashcon? Seems like you like to dip your toe in before plunging in... :)

I think having all 10 mages built simultaneously is an impossible aim, settle for 8 and choose between the alternate mages.

This thread could serve a great use if people posted the spells they really wish they had more of (and how many).

My wish is they create a Core Upgrade Pack that has (X - number cards in Core Set) where
X = 6 if level 1
X = 4 default
X = 3 unique or limited school only
X = 2 legendary or specific mage only
X = 1 epic

That to me would have been the ideal Core Set Upgrade Pack

Ideal distribution is complicated because the utility of the card and how common it will appear in different books.

For example, everyone wants more

* Teleport
* Dragonscale Hauberk
* Elemental Cloak
* Regrowth Belt
* Enchanter's Ring

Booster packs with these spells (and others) should be created because there is demand for them.
Maybe each of these Booster packs should have a theme.

For example: "Beastmaster Booster 1" may have all the missing level 1 animals, Rajan's Fury and Marked for Death needed to play that archetype, "Wizard" will have more Teleports, Whirling Spirits etc. I'm just thinking about the cards we borrow and proxies we use. (Not to mention any errata text cards). These boosters would be cheap and themed towards certain builds to minimise what you need. It's good support.

Can posters think of any other cards that they need?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:01:17 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:51:46 AM »
Welcome Godai! Always good to have more players. Building all 10 Mages at once, quite the goal my friend.

I wouldn't mind seeing some small packs with some of the cards people ask for the most in them.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

patrickconnor

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

I had looked into the game before but after playing a demo at BASHcon this weekend, decided to buy.

Welcome to Mage Wars! It is great to see you In The Arena!

I basically bought one of everything:

Core set, both Spell tomes, Druid vs Necro, Forcemaster vs warlord, and Kumanjaro. and a couple of the extra spellbooks to basically have a book for each of the mages.

Thank you for the support! Our next expansion is the Forged In Fire Spell Tome Expansion.

Here is a quick preview from the designer, Bryan Pope a.k.a. Arcanus - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1122614/designers-desk-forged-in-fire

If you have any questions, you can find many answers here on the forums, or please visit our Resources & Downloads page for official rulebooks, spell lists, etc.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:01:12 AM »
You should be able to build all of the starter books except for the johktari beastmaster and malakai priest. Both from the CoK expansion. Every other set comes with the cards needed for their starter books, and indeed are packaged with the starter books already setup. If you are interested in those two alternate mages, you will need to either:

A: buy more product.
B: substitute them into the starter book for their counter part (straywood beastmaster and priestess).
C: customize your books (which will also require either abandoning one version of the class or buying extra product).

If you decide you want to move up from starter books to custom books for 8 to 10 mages simultaneously, you will want extra product. I'd recommend 3 core sets and 2 of each expansion (including 2 of each core spell tome) to attempt such a feat. Even then I'm not going to guarantee you'll have everything desired for all of those books, but it's a good start.

Alternatively you could try getting 4 or 5 core sets and not getting the core spell tomes. Someone mentioned to me before that the core set is in its third printing and the spell tomes are still in the first printing so there might be differences in the cards. I don't know how true this is but it may be something to consider.

godai

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Looking over the card list on the website, It looks like you should be able to build the 8 rule books with no issue.
Leaving the Priest/Alt Beastmaster as using proxies/stealing from the regular version/buying more sets.

Apparently it looks like one of my boxes was short a Tanglevine. Since by the card lists I should have 5 but only have 4.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
Email Customerservice@arcanewonders.com and we can get you a replacement.