May 20, 2024, 12:16:39 AM

Author Topic: Card Breakdown - Altar of Skulls  (Read 5090 times)

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Card Breakdown - Altar of Skulls
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
Hello all, I'm the creator of the Mage Wars Blog (www.magewars.weebly.com).

I just wanted to let you guys know that we have started a new series of articles that we are doing, card breakdowns! In this series, we are going to take an individual card and completely dissect it, focusing on its strengths, weaknesses, and any strategies associated with the card.

In honor of Let's Level Up's most recent Mage Wars Monday podcast (found here http://www.letslevelup.net/), which focused only on the Necromancer, we have broken down one of his most intimidating conjurations, the Altar of Skulls!

Please check it out and let us know if you enjoyed the article and want more of these card breakdowns! If you would like to see any specific cards done, just leave them in the comments either here or on the article itself! The article can be found here: http://magewars.weebly.com/strategy/altar-of-skulls

While you're at the blog, don't forget to subscribe and leave a comment! Also "like" us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and follow us on Twitter at @MageWarsBlog

We have a variety of articles posted, including spoilers from the upcoming expansion, event reports, how to build a spellbook, and many others!

Check it out and let us know how we can improve it!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Card Breakdown - Altar of Skulls
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
i like the way you describe the game between You and Air Wizard! cool

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
I tested this tactic today against a fiery warlock. And i was surprised that it worked out very well. Although i must say the warlock made some choices that i would not have done.
I think you tactic works when the enemy is defensive or advances slow, but i would have been in a world of pain if he had rushed to my fortress of doom before it had finished building up.
All the game i had a strange feeling. Although i controlled the game, i felt like a bird in a cage. The fortress can also be your grave without the chance of escaping if your enemy decides to burst you with ranged attacks from 2 zones away (or 1 zone, if you already got the cloak ready).
The defense seems to be pretty vulnerable to teleport-attacks. If your mage is teleported out of the fortress, hes pretty defenceless and your skeleton warriors will have lots of trouble to reach him in time to save his miserable life :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
I tested this tactic today against a fiery warlock. And i was surprised that it worked out very well. Although i must say the warlock made some choices that i would not have done.
I think you tactic works when the enemy is defensive or advances slow, but i would have been in a world of pain if he had rushed to my fortress of doom before it had finished building up.

Well yes, a Mage that rushes right at you is going to completely ruin this strategy. Although, when facing an ultra-aggressive build, you should probably realize that AoS is probably not the best strategy to use anyway :) It takes far too long to build up when facing an aggro Mage. This is why it's important at the beginning of the game to make a snap-judgement about what strategy your opponent will use. Forcemaster will always be aggro, Warlock will be aggro/semi aggro, etc etc.

All the game i had a strange feeling. Although i controlled the game, i felt like a bird in a cage. The fortress can also be your grave without the chance of escaping if your enemy decides to burst you with ranged attacks from 2 zones away (or 1 zone, if you already got the cloak ready).

As long as your walls are up, they can't hit you with Ranged attacks because the walls blocks LoS. If your walls go down, I'd probably be more worried about the Teleport you also mentioned than a couple attack spells.

The defense seems to be pretty vulnerable to teleport-attacks. If your mage is teleported out of the fortress, hes pretty defenceless and your skeleton warriors will have lots of trouble to reach him in time to save his miserable life :)

Again, as long as the walls are up, you should be okay. If they get knocked down and you get teleported out, you can simply move or teleport your Mage back in and then QC another wall. You'll be getting hit for a few rounds while you move back in, but you probably won't die. While you're sitting behind the walls, you'll have a few free actions you can use to cast some armor in case this does end up happening.

If you see the enemy going up into that zone with the gas cloud to try to teleport you around the walls instead of knocking them down, you can counter this as well. You can throw on a Cloak of Shadows and just sit in your starting zone. That way they have to come down another zone to cast the teleport, which is not good for them, cause then they'll be in your little fortress with your Archer, Mort, your mage, and whoever else you have out there. & on top of that, if they have to come down to target you with the teleport, they won't be able to teleport you as far, making it easier for you to walk back into your fortress.

The killer to this strategy (as with most Necro strategies) is flying creatures, namely Adramelech. The reason is obvious, he'll just fly over your walls and start pounding on the Altar. If this happens, you'll need to have something guard the Altar. Mort might be best, that way he can counterstrike and hopefully get some Taints on the LoF. You want to make sure Mort doesn't die though.

You'll also want to carry around Maim Wings in your spellbook so you can help prevent this. Once he comes over the wall, you'll want to cast that on him and focus on killing him while still keeping your walls up. That can be tricky. If you have the Grey Wraith's you'll want to use those to attack the LoF to try to weaken him.

With Mort and 2 Acolytes in the same zone as the Altar, if you use both Acolytes to heal the Altar, you'll be healing it 6 points of damage per round. That should be enough to keep it alive while you're steadily damaging Adramelech and making him attack with less dice. Just make sure you don't forget to keep your walls alive.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:55:39 PM by Lord0fWinter »
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
Ok, let me tell you about  Adramelech. My opponent summoned him too, after my wall was complete (3 Walls, complete surrounding around altar and graveyard). He enchanted the Lord Demon and i knew he would charge over the wall, because the altar had 7 tokens on it. So i simply prepared a maim wing and adralamech died right after he arrived in my fortress. two grey wrath, mort and a skeleton knight did the job very quickly :)

i was playing with graveyard instead of the book, because i realized, that altar as well as graveyard take profit when killing enemies. thats imo a better way to create mana in the long term. ok you spend 4 more mana at the start of the game, but it will probably help you. another advantage of the graveyard (that will never be attacked, because the altar is out) is, that you can stand behind it in the corner and whatever you summon will spawn between you an the enemy.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
While I understood the purpose of it, I found the example scenario to be rather unrealistic.  I realize it was supposed to be a best case situation but I think presenting a picture from a game in progress (at a key turn) would have a much larger impact than showing a best case scenario situation, where there is questionable creature choice by the opponent and an ~80 mana split between mage assets.

Tl;dr: Your explanations make theoretical sense, but it would be nice to see them in action to at least a small degree (a few pictures from an actual game).

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »
An Archers Watchtower and Skeleton Archers would be fun :)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
While I understood the purpose of it, I found the example scenario to be rather unrealistic.  I realize it was supposed to be a best case situation but I think presenting a picture from a game in progress (at a key turn) would have a much larger impact than showing a best case scenario situation, where there is questionable creature choice by the opponent and an ~80 mana split between mage assets.

Tl;dr: Your explanations make theoretical sense, but it would be nice to see them in action to at least a small degree (a few pictures from an actual game).

You are correct that this is a best-case scenario and not taken from the beginning of the match. I'm going to actually play with this strategy sometime in the next few days and take pictures after all the rounds to document what happens. I'll add them to the article once this is done and post here to let you know.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »

Your request has been fulfilled, I have added gameplay photos and descriptions of what happened each round. It was Warlock vs Necro, and the Warlock pretty much played super aggro and charged right ahead and summoned the LoF on turn 2. Adramelech then got buffed up and flew over the walls but was shut down surprisingly easily by using Maim Wings and then casting Surging Wave on him. He got slammed and then subsequently killed the next round.

Warlock probably should have had some way of healing Adramelech in the book but only had Vampirism, which doesn't affect the Necromancer's nonliving creatures.

Warlock then brought out a Dark Pact Slayer, but that ended up getting killed as well.

The scenario ended with the Necromancer having more damage, 15, but in a vastly superior position. If I had kept going, the Necromancer would have just cast a Dragonscale Hauberk to reduce the fire damage from the Warlock and a Regrowth Belt, letting him slowly heal.

The Altar would have also eventually activated, allowing him to lifebond away even more of his damage.