May 08, 2024, 10:07:00 PM

Author Topic: FIF: Garrison Post "Preview"  (Read 27025 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: FIF: Garrison Post "Preview"
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
Will the set Warlord vs Forcemaster have the updated card in them at some point?

Yes, the next printing of FVW will have the updated cards in it.

Do we have to wait the release of FiF to play it like this or the errata is effective right now?

While I can't speak to the tournament scene, people are free to use whatever rules they want for casual games, so I see no reason to delay in implementing this change.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
My group play by the book. So if not official they won't allow it.

Gregstrom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
The article says "starting today".  That sounds official to me.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »
The article says "starting today".  That sounds official to me.

Ah yeah. I missed it. Thanks.

joechip90

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
What is cool with this updated version of GP, is that you can wall off the Barrack to protect it, yet still can spawn creature.

I guess you'd probably want to use pike walls or take a backup copy of garrison post to use this strategy because 6 HP isn't too hard to breach (particularly if going up against a fire mage) and, without the GP entry point, you'd otherwise end up with all your spawing creatures stuck behind a wall.
Looking for an opponent in Bergen?  Check out my BGG profile and feel free to get in touch

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »
Ludwig will mby see play with this.

Deploy in range and Rouse beast him.

Expensive sure... but u do 3 x 3 dice damage and leave a big threat on the board.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »

Expensive sure... but u do 3 x 3 dice damage and leave a big threat on the board.

Ludwig LOVES the Armory too...

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 11:07:39 PM »

You guys really think there's reason to be excited for him? If it wasnt so easy to just agony him and forget about it I'd be happier.  I haven't used him for a long time because he's overcosted for his hp and armor, and I so rarely found him a solid answer to anything.  His triplestrike is shut down pretty heavily by armor (or agony as stated) and his zone attack can be achieved for less mana (albeit less effeciently potentially).

Not saying he's bad or anything, he just never makes the cut when I adjust/streamline.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »

You guys really think there's reason to be excited for him? If it wasnt so easy to just agony him and forget about it I'd be happier.  I haven't used him for a long time because he's overcosted for his hp and armor, and I so rarely found him a solid answer to anything.  His triplestrike is shut down pretty heavily by armor (or agony as stated) and his zone attack can be achieved for less mana (albeit less effeciently potentially).

Not saying he's bad or anything, he just never makes the cut when I adjust/streamline.

The main problem I ever had with Ludwig was getting him into the right position with a 1-1 full action attack. Garrison Post helps with the position aspect, and armor is mitigated by the Armory (which is awesome anyway).

Agony will still be an effective counter against Ludwig, but the possibility of a "surprise" 3-dice 1 pierce triplestrike or zone attack at range 1 might be worth putting him in. With Rouse you should be able to get off at least one shot before Agony sets in (and you can Dispel it afterwards if needed).

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 02:01:00 AM »
Ludvig Bolstrom Zombie Hunter!

If i wanna play in a "cost effective" way, i would probably not include him in my spell book. But i play in "fun effective" way and i must say, there is no better feeling than seeing a trapped zombie in quicksand getting his hair cut from Bolstroms repeating crossbow.

I agree that Agony on Bolstrom, Sir Corazin or Hydra is way too effective and armor often negate all my attacks but that doesnt mean, i am not having fun. I am working on warlord swarm book right now, thanks to new garrison post, armory and Gormash.

My wish list:

a) Give Akiros Hammer Indirect or "Death from Above" trait, ignoring LOS
b) Change Goblins Bomber bombing attack to quick attack
c) Boost Sledgehammer (stun) or make it cheaper (5 mana)
d) I dont care about triple arcane cost anymore so thats all :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »
Common mistake to believe that 3 dice tripple attacks are shut down by armor.

What ~13 mana creatures does 4.5 actual damage on average vs a creature with alot of armor?

Agony is a different story... not all books run this card, and few run more than 1.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 04:52:43 AM »
If you put a mathematical proofs, i will  not say nothing against it.

But if on 3 dices you roll an average dmg against 3 armor creature, it is not as glorious as i could dream about :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »
If you put a mathematical proofs, i will  not say nothing against it.

But if on 3 dices you roll an average dmg against 3 armor creature, it is not as glorious as i could dream about :)

3 dice vs 3 armor does an average of 1.61 dmg. So x3 it does 4.83 damage on average.

Against infinite armor it does 1.5 dmg. So 4.5 on average.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »
Common mistake to believe that 3 dice tripple attacks are shut down by armor.

What ~13 mana creatures does 4.5 actual damage on average vs a creature with alot of armor?

Agony is a different story... not all books run this card, and few run more than 1.

Well, dark pact slayers and situationally dire wolves immediately come to mind...that's probably about it though.

But considering I can power strike an orc butcher for a total of 9 mana (with ring) and the play in question costs 16 to get about the same expected dice vs that much armor(4 vs 4.5) and about the same body (10hp, 1armor vs 9hp 2armor)...it just doesn't seem that impressive to me, at least right now.  Obviously it's worth noting that its not a perfect comparison, but in terms of pure dice output against a decently armored target I think you can do pretty much the same for less mana and end up with a very similar body (ie paying the extra 7 isn't worth it). 

Also, I think all non-holy books should run agony.  It's only 2 book points and it's extremely powerful/useful in a good many situations, at least IMO.  I run it in every non holy book I make.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »
Ludwig is an amazing anti-Forcefield/Block/Reverse Attack unit.