May 02, 2024, 03:05:21 PM

Author Topic: Card Distributions - Academy  (Read 4721 times)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Card Distributions - Academy
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
I realise Academy: Priestess vs Warlock isn't finalised yet, but I suspect this part is, and hopefully can be commented on... I realise the playtesters are likely under NDA, but hopefull someone at AW doesn't mind spilling the beans?

Will the Academy staples in the first set be repeated in the second also (I'm thinking 3x Crumble, 3x Disperse and 3x Leather Chausses here)?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Card Distributions - Academy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
I realise Academy: Priestess vs Warlock isn't finalised yet, but I suspect this part is, and hopefully can be commented on... I realise the playtesters are likely under NDA, but hopefull someone at AW doesn't mind spilling the beans?

Will the Academy staples in the first set be repeated in the second also (I'm thinking 3x Crumble, 3x Disperse and 3x Leather Chausses here)?

I, of course, don't know (not a playtester or anything), but if I understand your motivation, you probably want 2 copies of Beastmaster/Wizard anyway for 4/6 copies of cards that certainly won't appear in the Priestess/Warlock set that you might want to try in Arena/Domination: e.g.  bears (Steelclaw Matriarch and Steelclaw Cubs), Wychwood Hounds, maybe even Darkfenne Asps (great for activating Animal Kinship), level 1 Arcane creatures like Mana Worm larvae and Jade Gremlin, not to mention the many solid Arcane and Nature school Enchantments.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
I, of course, don't know (not a playtester or anything), but if I understand your motivation, you probably want 2 copies of Beastmaster/Wizard anyway for 4/6 copies of cards that certainly won't appear in the Priestess/Warlock set

Oh 2 is given - it's copies 3 through 10 I'm trying to gauge, although it gets much easier if I can buy those as singles.

Outside those 3 cards I have no use for more than 4 sets (and could probably live with 2). I'd rather even up the numbers of each set if possible, rather than be heavily skewed.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
On a side note, I'm under the impression that expansions for academy will only feature one mage (just cards, maybe tokens?, no spellbook), but I might be wrong... I don't remember where I saw/read that...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:11:03 AM by Gogolski »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »

On a side note, I'm under the impression that expansions for academy will only feature one mage (just cards, maybe tokens?, no spellbook), but I might be wrong... I don't remember where I saw/read that...

Oh yeah that's right! Forgot about that. That makes me wonder what's with the Priestess vs Warlock thing. Perhaps they are two separate sets that will be released at the same time?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »

Oh yeah that's right! Forgot about that. That makes me wonder what's with the Priestess vs Warlock thing. Perhaps they are two separate sets that will be released at the same time?

Based on released artwork, I think Priestess vs. Warlock is an alternate core set (e.g. equivalent to Beastmaster vs. Wizard).  I have no idea whether or not future mages will be released individually or in more two-mage "vs." sets.  I'd be happy either way.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
I think it was mentioned in Mage Wars Mondays, that there will be one mage per box solution.

Artwork says otherwise but that was a alpha approach i guess. Picture here is one of a first Academy shots taken. :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 02:30:48 AM »
My thing atm would be to request no more spell books... I'm all keen on more mages and more spells, but I've got two core sets, all the expansions and some other bits all stored nicely in the two core set boxes (the domination board insert fits nicely in with some trimming).  However, the spell books are spilling over.  I brought a few extra, but then as I get more every expansion, they stop fitting. I didn't mind at first as it always seems handy to have another book 'ready'.  But now I've started a bookshelf just for spell books... it needs to stop! :)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 03:51:07 AM »
Well, for us "collectors", the situation is Dire :) i myself had way too much spellbooks. Yet for players that they just into Academy, they have for Wizard and BM only.

I think it would be nice, to be able to buy non-spellbook Academy Warlock and Academy Priestess expansions. They will be cheaper and i will at least had a opportunity to use my empty books :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 04:26:18 AM »
... i stopped using the spellbooks completely after 3 to 5 games. Same with most friends around me. Gameplay is much faster without, the overview of your deck with a block cards in hand is just great, and finally putting everything back after the game takes just a second without a book.
The books might feel "wizardy" in the beginning, but are very unhandy and timetaking in further play.

That's just how I (or we here) am thinking for sure :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 08:00:15 AM »
Yes several cards do make a reappearance with either the priestess or warlock. I'm typing this from my trusty phone at the convention, so I don't remember the exact ones.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
Thanks Aaron!