May 14, 2024, 01:00:44 PM

Author Topic: Westlock Angels: Gen Con 2015 3rd Place Spell Book!!!  (Read 12178 times)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Westlock Angels: Gen Con 2015 3rd Place Spell Book!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
Nice! Am appreciating lion savagery a bit more than I was I think!  And, as steelclaw said, with piercing strike, a strong attack can start going through heavy armor conjurations and creatures like butter.

Hmmm elusive cheetah speed Bloodcrag minotaur with piercing strike lion savagery - similar effect +8 dice attack +4 piercing.

Damm, probably too long to setup, see why the angels work (or the falcons).

Or am I missing something, should a flying creature always get charge if meleeing attacking on the ground? That would be cool and kinda makes sense, but probably makes lion savagery too strong then.

No, that would be too easy, wouldn't it ? ;)

This is where the Cheetah Speed comes in.

The Angel is a Flyer, so it can move around unhindered as long as it doesn't start its movement in a zone or doesn't move into a zone containing an enemy flyer.

So, if you put a Cheetah Speed on the above mentioned enchanted Angel you can actually attack anything withing 2 zones with 7 dice + Pierce+1 and then do it again the same round by Transfusing your enchantment stack to your other Angel.
Even if your target is in your own zone, the Cheetah Speed allows you to move out of the zone and then back in it so you can trigger the Lion Savagery's Charge+2 ( provided there is no enemy flyer in that zone of course ).

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 05:30:55 PM »
Enchantment Transfusion is usually the third Enchantment being put on after Lions Savagery and Bear Strength.
Now everybody knows your secret, you welcome Borgs #1 play buddy ;)

Well euhh ... sometimes it's number 4  :-X

I'm being tricksed here  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:35:58 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
How does it counter the summoning? Are you casting it on their new summoned creature to teleport it away from defenses and into range of your most powerful attacks? Or just away from you? It only seems a small tempo advantage for 10+ mana?

PS steelclaw, is Samandriel that bad/different? It essentially comes with built in bear strength and divine might, so same casting cost as angel plus these. Sure you can't Et them, but they can't be dispelled either and there is tempo advantage. Although perhaps not that great with your stack approach. The SB cost is probably the main sticking point I guess.

If you reveal the DI and move the opposing mage to another zone before the creature spell resolves the spell will eventually fizzle because the mage is no longer in the zone which he originally targeted when casting the creature spell. ( range for a creature is 0-0 )

Samandriel is not so good in "taking care of herself" as the Guardian Angels.
She has no built-in defense and cannot heal herself.
She costs almost twice the price of an Angel and weighs in at 5 sbp's.
I don't mind losing an Angel, so I don't have to go out of my way to protect them
whereas Samandriel is such an investment you have to account for her safety all the time.
Therefore I prefer 2 Angels over Samandriel.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:43:54 PM by Borg »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »
I don't mind losing an Angel, so I don't have to go out of my way to protect them
whereas Samandriel is such an investment you have to account for her safety all the time.
QFT
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »
This has been an awesome learning thread, thanks Borg! :)

Hadn't even considered interrupting the spell by shifting the mage!

Thanks for the detailed points about Sam too, I had sort of forgotten/minimised the benefits of the angels heal and defense (dice hate me sometimes so I often feel a little meh about defense and prefer sure things).

How does it counter the summoning? Are you casting it on their new summoned creature to teleport it away from defenses and into range of your most powerful attacks? Or just away from you? It only seems a small tempo advantage for 10+ mana?

PS steelclaw, is Samandriel that bad/different? It essentially comes with built in bear strength and divine might, so same casting cost as angel plus these. Sure you can't Et them, but they can't be dispelled either and there is tempo advantage. Although perhaps not that great with your stack approach. The SB cost is probably the main sticking point I guess.

If you reveal the DI and move the opposing mage to another zone before the creature spell resolves the spell will eventually fizzle because the mage is no longer in the zone which he originally targeted when casting the creature spell. ( range for a creature is 0-0 )

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 03:18:15 AM »
Hadn't even considered interrupting the spell by shifting the mage!

Credit ringkichard for bringing that to our attention.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 08:43:30 AM »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »
I'm also interested in how the stronger players are using their incantations? Most of the top books have few incantations, are you always casting them through a wand to hang onto them? Or just not using them as much? i. e. Teleport/ piercing strike etc.  Doesn't this have a tempo / action cost?

I can't speak to the tournament experience, but my guess would be that the games don't often go long enough to require more incantations.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.