May 11, 2024, 07:07:10 AM

Author Topic: How do non-air traps work against air units who guard?  (Read 2886 times)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
How do non-air traps work against air units who guard?
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
Assume the folling:
Your opponent casted a Spiked Pit in a zone (Spiked Pit does not trigger when air units enter the zone). Your gargoyle (flying unit) enters that zone - nothing happens. After entering, the gargoyle guards. Because of guarding the gargoyle looses his flying trait. Does the Spiked Pit trigger?

If the trap triggers, in the case of the gargoyle there is another complication:
Does the gargoyle gain the benefits from his guard marker against the trap? I.e. does he get +3 armor and -3 toughness? I assume he does, since he first gains the guard marker and as a consequence he loses flying which triggers the trap. This is an important question, since the +3 armor will lower the damage income siqnificantly and the tough -3 decreases the chance of the trap to stuck the gargoyle from 100% to 9/12.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:39:35 AM by Charmyna »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: How do non-air traps work against air units who guard?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
Nope. The trap is not triggered.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
It is not entering the zone when he drops, as he is already in the zone, so the conditions of spike traps mandatory reveal are not fulfilled.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
Let's build on this question a bit. What if you Force Pull a Flyer in to a Zone that is within the radius of Gravikor and has a Spiked Pit in it?

I was told that the loss of flying is not entering a zone also. Much to my chagrin and disbelief.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
Not going to promote this as an official answer, but my guess is the gravikor takes effect only when it's in the zone, so it hits the zone, loses flying, and then the same 'dropping out of the sky in the same zone' still applies.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
Garvikor says, "all creatures within 2 zones of Gravikor lose, and cannot gain, the flying trait." Pretty clear that it has to be within the zone before it loses the trait. Doesn't trigger the trap.

Okay, I've got one: a Necropian Vamp which has temporarily gained flying enters a Spike Pit trapped zone. It is then hit with Quicksand. It is then teleported zero zones with the Teleport incantation to break the Quicksand. Does the Spiked Pit trigger? Does teleporting for zero count as entering?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
Yes teleporting in to a zone counts as entering a zone, so therefore the trap will trigger. So in my previous post if I added Teleport Trap (same zone) into the mix, it would then trigger the Spiked Pit trap...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest