May 18, 2024, 09:55:27 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Mondays - 14 Organizing Play  (Read 7024 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Mondays - 14 Organizing Play
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:45:07 AM »
Yesterday was another Mage Wars Monday! Rick, Scott, and I sat down and talked about ways to help grow the game and your playgroup. We hope you find this useful, and we're excited to help answer your questions!

You can find the podcast >>HERE<<.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Mondays - 14 Organizing Play
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
Can you guys please make a typed out version of this podcast available? I really need to take notes on this.

This is the best mage wars Monday so far! Keep em coming!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »
You know you can download it and listen to it more than once right. I've listened to all of them multiple times.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »
 You can't rewind or fast forward though. I find that critical to note taking. If I miss something thirty min in, i'd rather not have to start all over from the beginning and wait half an hour for it to repeat whatever I was trying to write down.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »
Yeah you can.

I do all the time. I guess it depends on what player you use to listen to the podcasts with.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
It was a really nice episode!

Vulcan, if you download an episode (see picture) you shoudlt have a prob with fast forwarding or rewinding to your favourite part of a podcast trough winamp, windows player, vlc player etc. Also, you can click on that grey bar (where Blubrry PowePress text is) to skip to exact minute of podcast.

I use chrome for online listening, winamp for desktop listening and doubletwist for mobile. Hope it helps. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t60fndh793og0gq/Podcast.png?dl=0
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 04:31:57 AM »
Nice episode, as always :) I really like the way Aaron is speaking.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 08:17:37 AM »
Nice episode, as always :) I really like the way Aaron is speaking.

It's just my voice. I'm no Morgan Freeman.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »
ooh, i didn't know it's You :)
it's not just about the voice, but also way you speak: break, emphasis, sense of humor, i like it :)

I'm happy that Scott listed my country (Poland), i hope we had better community and i was wondering few times to apply to be an Ambassador, but i have so many activities that i'm not sure if i can handle it (have time for it). i'm going to speak with some friends with whom i'm playing maybe they could help me.

[post #100]!

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:31:03 AM »
I don't know what it is but on some of the pod casts Aaron is hard to listen to. There was the feedback, or the echoing. There is a pinging on this one occasionally. I'm glad that the technical glitches are getting worked out, but the technical glitches are usually only with Aaron.

But I download every episode and play them back while working. I'll have a small word doc open to click over to so I can take notes occasionally.  I really want to rework my druid builds but I'm still way over on spell count.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
I would really love too that there was a typed version for the following reasons:

- My listening english is not as good  as my reading english.
- I am often in a place where I do not have my headphones and I can't listen to it in a loud/growdy environnement
- If I do not understand something correctly, it is easier to read it again than to rewind.

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
As usual, I enjoyed it. It spoke to me.

I started playing in January with me and a core set. My friends at our shop took an interest and we soon had 4 people playing regularly. I signed up for Ambassador program a few months later and established Wednesday nights as "Mage Wars Wednesday". Now we have 18 people who play with 6-8 regulars on Wednesday nights (Although October has brought some impact with people moving, school, work changes etc). People in the area have heard about us and they're starting to make their way to our venue. We have a steady, growing group and it's fantastic.

It's taken a fair bit of work and fortunately our venue owner is very supportive. He loves the fact that we've diversified his product mix and he knows Mage Wars sells consistently now.

Next steps - tournaments and continued growth!

The advice int he podcast is spot on - Low key, non-aggressive works. Don't insult other people's games (heck, we play those games too!). Once you explain the simplicity of the game it starts to take hold. I have a background in technical marketing, technical sales, technical education and presentations so I'm used to explaining things to people at different levels and that's certainly helped. But even without that just explaining why you love the game brings people in.

Love this game.