May 01, 2024, 10:30:23 PM

Author Topic: How should warlock deal with the wind element ?D:  (Read 5573 times)

Lotacon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How should warlock deal with the wind element ?D:
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
It's hard to kill it with the 'incorporeal' trait and the worse thing is the ‘non-living’ trait D:
how should I deal with it?
blows me everywhere~~~~

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: How should warlock deal with the wind element ?D:
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »
Whirling Spirit is a great guard against a melee opponent, especially in a Wizard lock down style build that uses a lot of stuff like Jet Stream, Enfeeble, Tanglevine, Cripple, etc.  Can be a real pain to deal with.  The Warlock doesn't really have anything solid that deals with incorporeal stuff well, although any mage can equip a Mage Staff which has the Ethereal trait (and Reach too!).  Mage Staff is an underutilized card as it is, but is pretty good (and cheap).

You could also try and incoporate some Lighting spells into your book, they all have the Ethereal trait.  Yet another reason IMO that Lightning > Fire.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
Just attack it - it would not be supper effective, but eventually you'll kill it with enough '1's rolled.
Or try to ignore it.
You may add to your spellbook some Etheral attacks, if you really think you need a counter to the Whirling Spirit - ie. Mage Staff or some lightnings or Moonglow Fearie
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »
If you have the spellpoints to spare, packing along a Mage Staff is the easiest answer.

Some curses are still applicable to non living creatures as well: Agony, Enfeeble, Marked for Death, Chains of Agony all will work on a Whirling Spirit.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
Quote from: "Koz" post=9421

1. The Warlock doesn't really have anything solid that deals with incorporeal stuff

2. Yet another reason IMO that Lightning > Fire.

1.  Demonhide Armor is a safe bet.  Every mage needs armor and one that deals ethereal critical damage  pretty easily solves most incorporeal problems.  Against the Spirit, though, just Enfeeble it.  You effectively solve a 12 mana (plus upkeep) creature for 6 mana, since the only real reason to use the Spirit is for its quick action melee attack anyway.  

2.  Air spells aren't as efficient for dealing damage and all of them are avoidable, unlike most of the Fire spells.  I value the unavoidable trait more highly than the ethereal trait, since I come across defenses more than incorporeal things.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »
Quote from: "reddawn" post=9433

1. The Warlock doesn't really have anything solid that deals with incorporeal stuff

1.  Demonhide Armor is a safe bet.  Every mage needs armor and one that deals ethereal critical damage  pretty easily solves most incorporeal problems.  Against the Spirit, though, just Enfeeble it.  You effectively solve a 12 mana (plus upkeep) creature for 6 mana, since the only real reason to use the Spirit is for its quick action melee attack anyway.  

Ah yes, Demonhide Armor, I had forgotten that it did Ethereal damage.  That's one option, although I'm not a fan of the card personally.

I don't get the Enfeeble comment.  The Enfeeble curse makes a creature Slow, but that doesn't necessarily prevent it from being a pain to deal with.  One of the more common uses of Whirling Spirit is to place it in the same zone as its controlling mage so that it can act as a Guard or just attack normally and knock melee mages out of the zone to keep them back.  In that scenario the Whirling Spirit does not need to move, so being slow would be irrelevant.

2.  Air spells aren't as efficient for dealing damage and all of them are avoidable, unlike most of the Fire spells.  I value the unavoidable trait more highly than the ethereal trait, since I come across defenses more than incorporeal things.

No, I know that Fire is better at just doing pure damage, but I feel Lightning is better mostly due to the fact that Daze/Stun is often much more useful than Burn.  As far as your comment about Unavoidable goes, fire only has one more Unavoidable attack than Lightning does now that Arc Lightning has been released in the expansion so unless you are going Firestorm heavy, you aren't really getting many more Unavoidable attacks than if you used Lightning.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
I always include at least one anti-Incorporeal card in every deck I play. Whether it is a Mage Staff or a Moonglow Faerie or a couple of Arc Lightnings doesn't matter, it just has to be able to kill incorporeals.

In a non-Battle Forge deck I tend to lean toward the Faerie, because it doesn't conflict with Sectarus or Lash. (And the Faeries defense makes it very hard to kill) In a battle forge deck where it is much easier to swap equipment in and out, I'd swap my weapon for a Mage Staff.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
Quote from: "Koz" post=9434
Quote from: "reddawn" post=9433

Ah yes, Demonhide Armor, I had forgotten that it did Ethereal damage.  That's one option, although I'm not a fan of the card personally.

I don't get the Enfeeble comment.  The Enfeeble curse makes a creature Slow, but that doesn't necessarily prevent it from being a pain to deal with.  One of the more common uses of Whirling Spirit is to place it in the same zone as its controlling mage so that it can act as a Guard or just attack normally and knock melee mages out of the zone to keep them back.  In that scenario the Whirling Spirit does not need to move, so being slow would be irrelevant.

No, I know that Fire is better at just doing pure damage, but I feel Lightning is better mostly due to the fact that Daze/Stun is often much more useful than Burn.  As far as your comment about Unavoidable goes, fire only has one more Unavoidable attack than Lightning does now that Arc Lightning has been released in the expansion so unless you are going Firestorm heavy, you aren't really getting many more Unavoidable attacks than if you used Lightning.

Guarding and its attack are both quick actions, so the instant the Wizard needs to move (or more likely, is pushed) the Spirit becomes pretty lackluster.  Even still, as a Warlock, I'd be pretty content sitting a zone away and firing off Fireblasts and Fireballs.  The object isn't to kill the Spirit, it's to stop it from guarding and quick attacking, which Enfeeble does pretty effectively.

I have the base set, and from what I can tell, the only avoidable fire spell is Fireball, which is still more efficient and has a better chance to afflict a status than the comparable Lightning Bolt.  The three other fire attack spells (fireblast, firestorm, ring of fire) are all unavoidable, so assuming there's no unavoidable fire spells in the expansion, that's still two more.

There are also ways to get around daze/stun with attack-like incantations such as Explode and Drain Life.  You can also burn conjurations, which I think is a pretty big deal.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
I'm not saying daze/stun is useless, btw.  It's very good.  I guess I just don't see status effects in terms of one being better than another, since they all have their uses.

Lotacon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:58 AM »
Thank you for all the replies?<3
Seems I have these solutions for the element?
A.Mage staff
B.Enfeeble & Agony
C.Binding a thunder magic to my wand
D.Try to ignore it and kill the wizard with fire balls

That‘s all?:D
So I'll test them in future games?thank u guys :D

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »
Quote from: "reddawn" post=9439

Guarding and its attack are both quick actions, so the instant the Wizard needs to move (or more likely, is pushed) the Spirit becomes pretty lackluster.  Even still, as a Warlock, I'd be pretty content sitting a zone away and firing off Fireblasts and Fireballs.  The object isn't to kill the Spirit, it's to stop it from guarding and quick attacking, which Enfeeble does pretty effectively.

I see what you mean.  I guess, yes, if you can both Enfeeble on the Spirit and then force the Wizard to move in some fashion (whether through Push effects or just making him run) then the Enfeeble would work.

I have the base set, and from what I can tell, the only avoidable fire spell is Fireball, which is still more efficient and has a better chance to afflict a status than the comparable Lightning Bolt.  The three other fire attack spells (fireblast, firestorm, ring of fire) are all unavoidable, so assuming there's no unavoidable fire spells in the expansion, that's still two more.

The expansion includes Arc Lightning which is an unavoidable Lightning Spell in the same style as Flameblast.  So Fire has one more unavoidable attack than Lightning does (Firestorm).  And yes, Firestorm is very good, but it's expensive.  The "high end" Lightning spells are Thunderbolt and Chain Lightning, both of which are also good.

There are also ways to get around daze/stun with attack-like incantations such as Explode and Drain Life.  You can also burn conjurations, which I think is a pretty big deal.

Absolutely, you are correct.  There are also ways around Burn of course: Geyser or Priestess removal or the new Fountain conjuration.  Obviously these are reactive measures and not as effective, action for action, as your suggestions for getting around Daze/Stun, but I'm just pointing them out.  I agree with you though that all conditions have their place, so I'm not trying to be argumentative, I've just felt, in my games, that Daze/Stun has been more disruptive and effective than Burn has.  Although getting hit with a double Burn sure does suck... lol  ;)