May 16, 2024, 12:03:41 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Druid Book - Comments Appreciated!  (Read 5551 times)

tsavonglah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Newbie Druid Book - Comments Appreciated!
« on: March 24, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
Hey guys, I'm just getting into this game and the Druid's theme and playstyle has definitely piqued my interest. Here's my first book; I'd love to hear any advice about how to improve it!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Druid[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a08]2 x  Geyser[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNW01]4 x  Bloodspine Wall[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ02]2 x  Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j15]1 x  Mohktari, Great Tree of Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ06]2 x  Nightshade Lotus[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ10]1 x  Stranglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]3 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ12]1 x  Vine Tree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC06]1 x  Kralathor, The Devourer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC10]2 x  Raptor Vine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC17]1 x  Tataree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC21]4 x  Thornlasher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC20]4 x  Vine Snapper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNE01]1 x  Barkskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]2 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]2 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e13]1 x  Eagle Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e37]1 x  Sacred Ground[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ04]1 x  Druid's Leaf Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ08]1 x  Vinewhip Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNI02]2 x  Burst of Thorns[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]2 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI04]1 x  Renewing Rain[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Druid Book - Comments Appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
What are you using [mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard], and [mwcard=DNC17]1 x  Tataree[/mwcard] for I think you would get more use out of a [mwcard=MW1C34] Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard] and another utility card
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

tsavonglah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
Cervere is in there as a large non-plant creature in case I run into a fire-heavy mage (as is Renewing Rain bound to the Mage Wand). I thought about using the Grizzly, but if I'm up against a fire mage then the position control game with Thornlashers and Tanglevines / Vinewhip Staff becomes much harder to play, which in turn makes it difficult to use the Grizzly to full advantage. Theoretically, Cervere allows the build to transition to a more aggressive playstyle against fire mages; plus, Eagle Wings on a naturally Fast, Elusive creature seems way too awesome to pass up.

Tataree is really only in there because she's so cheap, both in book points and in casting cost; she was the last card that I added after I couldn't think of anything better for a single book point. She does give me an extra action marker and more mana for the Vine Tree, but I'm sure there's something more efficient for this book.

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:02:36 AM »
I like it Tsavonglah! For me I would add in a [mwcard=DNQ07] Veteran's Belt [/mwcard] but Im not sure what I would lose. The combination of this with [mwcard=DNE01] Barkskin [/mwcard] and Treebond means you can tank quite well for those sticky moments when you need to pump your mana.

I also like [mwcard=DNC17] Tataree [/mwcard] and think its under-rated. If only to see the look on your opponents face as you flit around and annoy him!

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:19:07 AM »
i don't have a mohktari,  nor that many walls, but i do run Tarok, the skyhunter and Galador, both against fire and also against flyers...In a recent game this helped me quite good against a beastmaster with a pet beefed up thunderift falcon..

..i definitely start to get quit fond of this druid...very interesting mage !
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

tsavonglah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »
Ah, the Veteran's Belt is a fantastic idea that I'd totally overlooked. Hmm... I'll have to see if I can pull out three points somewhere.

And I'd like to find a way to squeeze in Galador, but unfortunately I don't own CoK yet. :-\

tsavonglah

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »
@Shad0w: So I replaced Tataree with a Mongoose Agility. I realized that Cheetah Speed on my mage was likely to be rather restricted in a number of matchups without also having Evasive.

I also swapped Mokhtari for an Etherian Lifetree. It's great against nonliving matchups, obviously, but I also feel that it gives me the advantage against living creatures. Most of my creatures and conjurations are likely to be focused in one or two zones, and the buff to Tanglevines / Stranglevine should make them significantly harder to break (short of blowing a Teleport). I'm still trying to figure out how to squeeze in a Veteran's Belt, if anyone has any ideas!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
@Shad0w: So I replaced Tataree with a Mongoose Agility. I realized that Cheetah Speed on my mage was likely to be rather restricted in a number of matchups without also having Evasive.

I also swapped Mokhtari for an Etherian Lifetree. It's great against nonliving matchups, obviously, but I also feel that it gives me the advantage against living creatures. Most of my creatures and conjurations are likely to be focused in one or two zones, and the buff to Tanglevines / Stranglevine should make them significantly harder to break (short of blowing a Teleport). I'm still trying to figure out how to squeeze in a Veteran's Belt, if anyone has any ideas!

Good to hear you keep improving the book. She is still one of my fave mages
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »
This is a very solid book in my view. I agree that Cervere is just an awesome beast who can get in and attack what needs attacking.

How has the book been playing for you? Have you had much of a chance to test it out? I still want to go back and revisit the Druid as the last time I made one I wasn't clear on a lot of the game.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.