May 16, 2024, 11:10:07 PM

Author Topic: Combustion question  (Read 5379 times)

Ladrim

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Combustion question
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
Does Fireshaper ring affect combustion? What about smoldering curses warlock ability and Marked for death enchantment? im asking that becouse the combustion description says that "combustion MAKES the above attack...", neither the mage nor any creature. Fireshaper rings text says "Mage gains Malee +1 and Ranged +1 traits for all attacks HE MAKES..."

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Combustion question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »
Fireshaper Ring and Marked for Death do not boost Combustion, but Smoldering Curses does.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
and, can i use block versus combustion? i believe that as is a incantation you cant boost with flame +x and you canĀ“t use block.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
You can still use block on attacks made by incantations, such as combustion and explode. However, those are both unavoidable attacks, meaning that block actually gets destroyed without effect when they are cast. Block would work just fine on Burst of Thorns however.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
Also, Flame +X would boost all flame attacks regardless of their source, including those from incantations. Thus, why smoldering curses works like sdougla2 stated.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:26:38 AM »
Zuberi gets this round again 8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
You can still use block on attacks made by incantations, such as combustion and explode. However, those are both unavoidable attacks, meaning that block actually gets destroyed without effect when they are cast. Block would work just fine on Burst of Thorns however.

Hey, I finally have a reason for packing a Combustion... to remove Blocks and Reverse Attacks before something else that isn't unavoidable attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »
You can also use Flameblast for that.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:51 PM »
There are few range two effects that are unavoidable... Combustion might be a half-way decent alternative to a Surging Wave for the Mage who prefers his/her Creatures to do the fighting.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:07:46 AM »
I found a great (situational) use for Combustion last night... I wished I had put it in my female Warlock's book. I was in FC and opponent new Warlord was building up in his starting corner. He had multiple Dwarf Panzerguards to keep his Mage and other things in that zone from being attacked. I had a fair amount of damage on the Warlord plus six burns by this time.

Out comes Renewing Spring and the healing wand. I can't get to the Spring, and the burns start coming off when he drinks... a nice Combustion at that point might have done around 10 dice of damage.

On another note, I found a use for Gate to Hell that game, and even opened it in FC.

mager

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 06:42:05 AM »

Does forcefield 'cancel' a combustion (or explode) attack? I thought forcefield was able to 'cancel' even unavoidable attacks (like ring of fire) because technically forcefield isn't a defence (as it's missing a defence icon).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:55:18 AM by mager »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 07:05:04 AM »
Yes, Forcefield can affect attacks from incantations and even unavoidable attacks. I feel it should be noted that not all Defenses have the Defense Icon. For example: [mwcard=MW1E02]Block.[/mwcard] However, these cards clearly state that they are a Defense, and you are correct that Forcefield does not count as one.

mager

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
Yes, Forcefield can affect attacks from incantations and even unavoidable attacks. I feel it should be noted that not all Defenses have the Defense Icon. For example: [mwcard=MW1E02]Block.[/mwcard] However, these cards clearly state that they are a Defense, and you are correct that Forcefield does not count as one.

Ok thanks! A buddy and me were wondering about this because _thematically_ it made sense to us that the combustion/explode attack originates 'inside' the forcefield (afterall incantations in general penetrate forcefields, and burn tokens or exploding armour are right on the mage), but _technically_ the words used on the forcefield card 'cancel' the incantation's attack.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
Thematically, you just have to adjust how large the Forcefield is in your mind, I suppose. A skin tight Forcefield that exists underneath the clothes would certainly justify the effects.

mager

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »
Thematically, you just have to adjust how large the Forcefield is in your mind, I suppose. A skin tight Forcefield that exists underneath the clothes would certainly justify the effects.

Haha! But I guess then, thematically, could the quantum field generator actually be calibrated well enough for such instantaneous field perturbations without gravity collapsing hyperspace around the mage?  :) :)