May 14, 2024, 10:55:03 PM

Author Topic: Does a Flying creature is required to fly?  (Read 4872 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Does a Flying creature is required to fly?
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
If i read the rules, I would answer yes, but it doesn't make sense to me that a creature couldn't just land and fight on the ground to prevent to be shot by a creature ranged attack in the same zone. Of course the flying creature would have to choose between flying or grounded until its next action phase (more tokens!).

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Does a Flying creature is required to fly?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »
Sorry i don't get the problem.

Creatures with the flying trait are flying. Ranged attacks may target a flying creature in the same zone because of its ranged attack (it can shoot the flyer) as well as the flying creature may use its action marker to attack any creature (flying or non-flying) in the zone.
Only melee attacks of non flying creaturs cannot target flying creatures.

I hope i helped out, otherwise please point out your problem with an example
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
Only melee attacks of non flying creaturs cannot target flying creatures.
Not quite clear, a melee attack is unable to target a creature with the Flying trait, unless the melee attack has the Reach trait.

You can put the flyer on Guard. While guarding a Creature with the Flying trait looses it. But

If you are asking: Can I say my Angel of Light lands on the ground and stops flying? No.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »
That's the same answer in two forums, where you going to ask it now?

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »

If you are asking: Can I say my Angel of Light lands on the ground and stops flying? No.

Yes this is what I am asking, because it doesnt make sense to me that an angel would go down to attack and go back up in the sky to be shot by the archer powerful ranged attack instead to land next to him and fight against its weaker melee attack. Or it would be smart for him to land behind a wall when almost dead to be safely healed.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
That's the same answer in two forums, where you going to ask it now?

That is unnecessarily negative. Please lighten your tone.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
Yes this is what I am asking, because it doesnt make sense to me that an angel would go down to attack and go back up in the sky to be shot by the archer powerful ranged attack instead to land next to him and fight against its weaker melee attack. Or it would be smart for him to land behind a wall when almost dead to be safely healed.

It is done that way to make the rules more simple and streamlined. It might give you fewer tactical options but it removes a lot of record keeping from the game
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »

It is done that way to make the rules more simple and streamlined. It might give you fewer tactical options but it removes a lot of record keeping from the game

I know but using a simple token when the object is grounded would keep it simple and easy to track. It would just be much more logical.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
Or it would be smart for him to land behind a wall when almost dead to be safely healed.

This can be achieved by using the angel's action to guard, so it loses its flying trait. At least, you can hide behind a wall.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »

I know but using a simple token when the object is grounded would keep it simple and easy to track. It would just be much more logical.

We had a grounded / flying token during the beta and when playing with several flyers it made matches clunky flyers. You could have 2or more on the ground and just as many in the air.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:45:14 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

HomelessJoe

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
As a player I am actually quite thankful for the streamlined process. I'm guessing in an average game this wouldn't come up very much. For instance, I have played upwards of 50 games with multiple builds and multiple opponents without this coming up once. If your build specifically has flyers not flying then as said previously just have them guard. I think this game is on the high end of rules heavy/tokens heavy and I'm more than cool with them omitting a slight bit of realism to alleviate that as much as possible.