May 14, 2024, 09:59:33 PM

Author Topic: Necro Posting cutoff  (Read 9741 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Necro Posting cutoff
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
Necroposting       

[strike]The act of posting in a forum thread that is too old to matter any more, or has served it's purpose.
Usually by new, inexperienced members of the board.[/strike]

Since a few of you asked this is a cleaner less abrasive definition.  

1. To bump a thread on an Internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads

2. To post, as on a forum, to revive a long inactive discussion thread

Now that I have clarified what necroposting is how long should it be till a thread is declared dead?

One Month

Six weeks

Two Months

No Limit?

I personally like to give a thread one month of no further responses before I call it dead. I want to know what the community thinks.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Necro Posting cutoff
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »
I personally like to give a thread one month of no further responses before I call it dead. I want to know what the community thinks.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

dragontalon

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
I am new to the Mage Wars game and new to the web site but that does not mean that I am inexperienced. I personally don't see why new users should be punished as such and not be able to post on a topic that is visable to them regardless of the time that it has been dead. We as users do not know that last time someone has logged in or check the forums. I found this to be a little harse in the approach and think this would tend to have some new users turned of by this. A little bit better of a busy approach may have been better suited and not call users inexperienced without knowing them. That is just my opinion though.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
The main reason most sites employ a necroposting policy is because people do not like to be overwhelmed with old information. Thank you for responding because I do want to know how people feel about this. Since I am the most active MOD and I do care about this community I want peoples honesty.

Quick Question:
Can any of the non-mods see the timer in the title bar above each post? I do not remember what the basic user view looks like. When I see a post it tells me when that post was made on the right side in the grey title bar. It looks like what I listed below

Re: Necro Posting cutoff 0 minutes ago      #2073

PS: I got that definition form several web sources. That is what the over all consensus is about necroposting. I ran a quick google search for necroposting rules and got over 10 pages of forums with rules about it.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
Quick Question:

Can any of the non-mods see the timer in the title bar above each post? I do not remember what the basic user view looks like. When I see a post it tells me when that post was made on the right side in the grey title bar. It looks like what I listed below

Re: Necro Posting cutoff 0 minutes ago      #2073

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
I'm not totally against a necroposting policy, It just seems to me that many new members to the forum might want to go back and look through the topics and it feels like a cold welcome to just be told not to resurrect dead threads (btw, dragontalon, Shad0w is super helpful here in the forum).

is it possible to have the threads lock after a given time of inactivity?  Or would something like that have to be done manually?

P.S., yes, I can see the timers

dragontalon

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »
I to am not opposed to necroposting policies it is a must have when running forum pages. I was just put off by the way it was stated is all. I don't know if it is possible to delete a post with no activity on it after a certain time that way it doesn't get restarted. That is what I suggest to do but not if possible to do so. I am sure Shad0w is a big help and I appreciate the hard work that moderators have to with that said I am killing this topic for me. Have fun playing Mage Wars as I know I will. Have a great one

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
Quote from: "dragontalon" post=2075
I to am not opposed to necroposting policies it is a must have when running forum pages. I was just put off by the way it was stated is all. I don't know if it is possible to delete a post with no activity on it after a certain time that way it doesn't get restarted. That is what I suggest to do but not if possible to do so. I am sure Shad0w is a big help and I appreciate the hard work that moderators have to with that said I am killing this topic for me. Have fun playing Mage Wars as I know I will. Have a great one

Its was hard for me to ask people opinions about necroposting without using the most commonly accepted
definitions of the term. It was not supposed to come across as rude but I see how some people could read it that way. I agree 100% that it is needed. I just want to know how people would define a "reasonable time" before a thread is called dead.

In the standard MOD tools I have to hand lock each thread. I have not seen the admin tool pack but I assume that it does not offer an auto lock option. Most forum stuff I have worked with does not. Thanks again all for your opinions.

Quote from: "theduke850" post=2074
I'm not totally against a necroposting policy, It just seems to me that many new members to the forum might want to go back and look through the topics and it feels like a cold welcome to just be told not to resurrect dead threads (btw, dragontalon, Shad0w is super helpful here in the forum).

is it possible to have the threads lock after a given time of inactivity?  Or would something like that have to be done manually?

I can see your point but at what point do you think a thread has pasted on? Anybody who actively goes to forums will tell you that when your new thread tab get flooded with threads you have not looked at in months it becomes annoying very quickly.

I think if its done as an honest mistake I do not have an issue with it. It is difficult to ask people not to do something without sounding rude. Especially in a text format.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
Quote from: "theduke850" post=2074

I can see your point but at what point do you think a thread has pasted on? Anybody who actively goes to forums will tell you that when your new thread tab get flooded with threads you have not looked at in months it becomes annoying very quickly.

I think if its done as an honest mistake I do not have an issue with it. It is difficult to ask people not to do something without sounding rude. Especially in a text format.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »
In every other forums I belong to, they instruct you to search for your topic before making a post. So if your topic was "dead" 3 weeks ago, does that make it invalid? I'd rather have a necro thread than a thousand threads on the same topic. If you want examples, go to the BGG forums for Android:Netrunner. The exact same questions are popping up every other day. I'd rather have fewer threads get reactivated and rediscussed, than having a hundred of the same.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »
Keep your replies coming. if people do not mind old threads coming back then I wont have to lock them. Like I said its up to you all to tell me what you want.

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:31:16 AM »
I'm with Mestrahd on this one. I'm strictly for "necroposting". If it was up to me I would ban people for opening a new thread for something where there is already a thread for.

kamishev

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 06:23:18 AM »
Why not creating some kind of archives for the old posts, so the new users can find if they are looking for something specific?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »
I would  like to have a search feature currently but I do not access to the editor tools package. I have not even looked at it so I do not know if that is even an option currently. This is why I am asking what the community thinks. I am here for all of you.

So keep the replies coming and I will do what the majority asks.

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »
Necro policy is for experienced users and against new ones.
This forum is not big yet, so introducing it will have lower benefit/cost ratio than bigger forums, so I would wait few months with implementation.
Then:
- I like an idea with locking old threads - and noticing by moderator at the begining/end with big bold red font "thread locked due to nocroposting policy - if you like to unlock the thread PM moderator" + maybe link to moderator/FAQ/Question-answet thread.
- There should be visible "Question-answer thread" and FAQ based on former.

IMO "old thread" is one month.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon